Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #1

Denver to Durango

We are planning a trip in late August/early September from Denver to Durango with the intended route of US 285 and US 160. We are flatlanders from Tennessee driving a 39' class A diesel pusher. Naturally, we are concerned about the grades, passes etc and would appreciate your input. Our only mountain driving experience is in western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee and limited at that. Can you give us advice regarding this route? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #2

Slammer,

We took the hwy from Durango over the Rookies thru Pagosa Springs. I understand there is a nice RV park in Pagosa Springs but we didn't stop there. It is a beautiful drive. The pass gets over 10,000 and the climb is steep but well worth the effort. Going slow up is not a problem just watch you speed going down and you'll do fine. Well worth the trip. If you get to Durango make and effort to get to Silverton either driving or by rail. For a nice RV park go north towards Silverton and about 4-5 miles out there is a place on the left. Can't remember the name but a very nice place and out of the normal RV campgrounds that are in the city.
Good luck. Gary
4x4crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4crazy View Post
Slammer,

We took the hwy from Durango over the Rookies thru Pagosa Springs. I understand there is a nice RV park in Pagosa Springs but we didn't stop there. It is a beautiful drive. The pass gets over 10,000 and the climb is steep but well worth the effort. Going slow up is not a problem just watch you speed going down and you'll do fine. Well worth the trip. If you get to Durango make and effort to get to Silverton either driving or by rail. For a nice RV park go north towards Silverton and about 4-5 miles out there is a place on the left. Can't remember the name but a very nice place and out of the normal RV campgrounds that are in the city.
Good luck. Gary
The campground is Alpen Rose RV Park Durango, Colorado - Home great place to stay. I plan on going back soon.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #4

We just returned from a great trip to Durango. Alpen Rose looks like a nice park...full of big rigs...easy to get into. We stayed at Durango Riverside Resort RV park about 12 miles north of Durango. Right on the Animas River. Beautiful! The entry road is a little winding, but not a problem. It's the most expensive park in that area, I think, at about $50 for 50 amp, full hookups, pull-thru. If you like to walk, take the county road 250 right outside the park, crosses the river and goes along the mountain(drive the whole road for beautiful scenery into town). They have a great store, family movies, and an ice cream store on the weekends. Very courteous help from the office workers to the maintenance people. Sights are a little close to your neighbors, but it looks like that is normal in all the Durango parks we looked at. We would go there again.

Lots of great things to do in that area! Be sure to book ahead and you might get a spot right on the river! Have fun!
TheLoveCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
The campground is Alpen Rose RV Park Durango, Colorado - Home great place to stay. I plan on going back soon.
Sammie
I recommend Alpen Rose to anyone I know who will be near Durango. We went for the first time in 1999 and every year after until my husband died. They were one of the first campgrounds that we came across that offered dog sitting/walking services. Love the location and the people who work there, showers incredible and great laundry. I went back last year, and found it to be just as nice if not nicer.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went that route several years ago. Going down Wolfe Creek pass I obeyed the signs for trucks loaded at 80,000 pounds. About 10 mph. Very steep indeed.

Wolf Creek Pass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check out the song about Wolfe Creek Pass
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Denver to Durango via Moab

My wife is scared to death of roads that are too "hairy"... meaning steep drop-offs on the side and tight winding curves.... I am planning to take I-70 to 191 to Moab and then down south on 191 to 491 then 160. I have never been out there, so I am wondering if anyone can tell me if these are fairly benign roads....to keep my marriage intact...
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
I am planning to take I-70 to 191 to Moab and then down south on 191 to 491 then 160. I have never been out there, so I am wondering if anyone can tell me if these are fairly benign roads....to keep my marriage intact...
Let your sweetie know that those roads between Moab and Durango are so benign that Porsche's refuse to drive them since they are so boringly straight and level. Your scariest driving on that route will be I-70.
Stumblefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
My wife is scared to death of roads that are too "hairy"... meaning steep drop-offs on the side and tight winding curves....
These will be your best friends while traveling. When wife isn't happy, ain't nobody happy. Money very well spent.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you both... Stumblefoot, I hope you are kidding about I-70.. it does look a little "hairy" going straight over the Rockies...????
Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we are also going to Page and then Bryce Canyon via 89 and then back down 89 to Cameron where we will head west to the Grand Canyon south rim area... any thoughts on these roads for my honey?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #12

Rt 12 Torrey to Bryce is a thrill ride.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we are not going anywhere near Torrey... we are approaching from the South on Rt 89 Is 89 a benign road?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you both... Stumblefoot, I hope you are kidding about I-70.. it does look a little "hairy" going straight over the Rockies...????
I-70 is not hairy at all. Just keep it in low gear going up and down the steeper parts and you'll be fine. There are only two major mountains between Denver and Grand Junction on I-70. The first is the one that takes you through the twin tunnels. The second is Vail pass. After that it's nothing. Regular car driving takes about an hour and a half to get through the "mountains". In your RV it might take 2-2.5 hours but your wife will be admiring the gorgeous scenery and it will be over in a flash.