Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2018, 09:14 AM   #1

Denver to Telluride

We are driving in full size pickup truck from Wisconsin to Telluride CO in early September and I'm wondering what the best route would be from Denver to Telluride. I-70 to 50 to 550? Or 285 to 50 to 550.

I did do a search for this route but did not find what is was looking for.

Thank you in advanced.
Beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The route 285 to 50 to 550, is the shortest and is all on good roads. Not sure what more information you're looking for, Google Maps satellite view can show the whole route, Street view can even show you the actual road and surroundings. Google Earth can map out a cross-section of the elevations you'll encounter on the route. It's a scenic route across Colorado, very pretty.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The route 285 to 50 to 550, is the shortest and is all on good roads. Not sure what more information you're looking for, Google Maps satellite view can show the whole route, Street view can even show you the actual road and surroundings. Google Earth can map out a cross-section of the elevations you'll encounter on the route. It's a scenic route across Colorado, very pretty.
I second this route. We took it last fall in a gas engine class A and did just fine. The steepest climb eastbound had us down to 38 mph for a couple of miles. Downgrade the transmission held our speed with occasional brake applications.
It's a beautiful ride.
AITG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #4

I guess I should of mentioned the most scenic and safest drive.

We live in the flatland's and not I'm not use to the elevation and hairpin driving.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post

We live in the flatland's and not I'm not use to the elevation and hairpin driving.

Thanks
It's not hairpin driving, a number of curves and grades, but not trail riding or rock climbing. Downshift when the engine needs it, I pay more attention to the temperature gauge than the speedometer. in the mountains. Use engine braking or lower gears going downhill. Apply brakes firmly to slow by 10 mph or more, then foot off the brake pedal until next need to drop speed by 10 mph or more. Riding the brakes on long hills is good for brake shops, not for your pocketbook or safety. Pull off and take photos, walk around the truck, don't feel pressure from people behind you, pull off if a line starts to form.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #6

I guess I'm a little confused because on Bing-Maps it shows the drive as 330 miles but an 8-hour drive. I take it you are driving pretty slow.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #7

Quote:
I guess I'm a little confused because on Bing-Maps it shows the drive as 330 miles but an 8-hour drive. I take it you are driving pretty slow.
You don't do 70mph on twisty mountain roads.
Also, as mentioned above, if you are holding up 3 or more cars behind you, look for places you can safely pull into and let them by. Doesn't cost you any time, and they won't try to unsafely pass you.
Enjoy your trip through the mountains.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Google maps says 330 mi, 6 hr 9 min, or an average close to 55 mph. I'd say that is optimistic, it's not interstate and there are small towns where the speed limit drops to 25-30 mph. Sharp curves at various spots mean slower speeds, plus if it's your first time in the area, you don't want to speed past the sights. Bing's time/distance works out to a little over 40 mph, probably more realistic, but I've stretched it out longer with dining and shopping in some of the spots along the way.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #9

Thank you all for the information. I will post when we get back and let you know how it went.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Thank you all for the information. I will post when we get back and let you know how it went.
Beeper,

I'm a little late to your Post so I'll join in with the "Real Best Route" -

As I've driven this and the only issue will be one Pass - I've driven it in the Signature rig and Love the Drive as it is scenic and EASY.

Starting on I-70 in Denver go to RT 58 - exit 265 will take you to RT 6 that follows Clear Creek to Idaho Springs and Catches I-70 there.

Continue on I-70 through the Eisenhower Tunnel to RT 91 just past Silverthorne to Leadville - exit 193.

Nice gentile drive up to Leadville on RT 91 - Quincy's is here for a Great Steak Dinner along with - Turquoise Lake/Camp Hale on down to Twin Lakes on RT 24 to Buena Vista/Collegiates (If you had a day go in the Truck to Marron Bells on RT 82 - Independence Pass - Beautiful Drive) on to Salida and RT 50 to Gunnison (Crested Butte if time allows) Here you will cross Monarch Pass - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarch_Pass - long but easy (JMHO)

Ok onto Gunnison - around the reservoir to Montrose then South on RT 550 to RT 62 to RT 145 and into Telluride. (Note here, there is a Wal*Mart in Gunnison, so if you need anything get it NOW)

Easy Peasszzy - 350 miles and all Fun and Beautiful - MAP -
https://binged.it/2Bitg12

Hope this reaches you before you drive down the RT 285, which while easy, is just Plain BORING (JMHO)

Don't get me Wrong Monarch is a Pass - but either way you will need to drive it............so just saying.

Hope this Helps,

- -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:27 AM   #11

Quote:

Thanks
You're in the West now so you'll have to cross those mountains. You'll soon be a pro. Take a deep breath!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Beeper,

I'm a little late to your Post so I'll join in with the "Real Best Route" -

As I've driven this and the only issue will be one Pass - I've driven it in the Signature rig and Love the Drive as it is scenic and EASY.

Starting on I-70 in Denver go to RT 58 - exit 265 will take you to RT 6 that follows Clear Creek to Idaho Springs and Catches I-70 there.

Continue on I-70 through the Eisenhower Tunnel to RT 91 just past Silverthorne to Leadville - exit 193.

Nice gentile drive up to Leadville on RT 91 - Quincy's is here for a Great Steak Dinner along with - Turquoise Lake/Camp Hale on down to Twin Lakes on RT 24 to Buena Vista/Collegiates (If you had a day go in the Truck to Marron Bells on RT 82 - Independence Pass - Beautiful Drive) on to Salida and RT 50 to Gunnison (Crested Butte if time allows) Here you will cross Monarch Pass - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarch_Pass - long but easy (JMHO)

Ok onto Gunnison - around the reservoir to Montrose then South on RT 550 to RT 62 to RT 145 and into Telluride. (Note here, there is a Wal*Mart in Gunnison, so if you need anything get it NOW)

Easy Peasszzy - 350 miles and all Fun and Beautiful - MAP -
https://binged.it/2Bitg12

Hope this reaches you before you drive down the RT 285, which while easy, is just Plain BORING (JMHO)

Don't get me Wrong Monarch is a Pass - but either way you will need to drive it............so just saying.

Hope this Helps,

- -

Thanks for the input, and its good to know there is a Walmart on that route.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #13

beeper,
Are you towing anything, or solo?
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote