Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #1

Denver to Yellowstone - best route/entrance

Hi everyone! Taking the family to Yellowstone for the first time end of July/beginning of August and trying to determine the best route. Have performed many searches and heard nothing but great things about Grizzly RV Park near the park's west entrance but I am wondering if that's the best route? Google maps have the south and east entrance as being shorter by almost 2 hours but how is the drive? I'm not looking for anything with too many white knuckle experiences. The other problem is finding a campground near the entrance to the park. Fishing bridge is already booked up and I'd prefer to be no more than 10 miles from the entrance (I understand that Grizzly RV is practically at the west entrance). According to www.rvparkreviews.com, campgrounds near the south and west entrance are at least 30 miles away.

My coach is 37.5' long, no toad, travelling with my wife, 3 kiddos, and a fat beagle, and plan on being there at least a week. Already have reservations at Grizzly, just wanting to make sure that that's the best option.

Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spartan Chassis
We traveled from Denver to Yellowstone years ago. I don't remember the road #s, but we went up through. Steamboat Springs (US40?) and then up into Wyoming. Then west across Wyoming (I80?) until we turned north and went up through the Tetons and Jackson Hole. This would be the south entrance. As I recall, every bit of it was scenic and interesting. Can't help with campgrounds near the park, but I would imagine there are some near Jackson Hole. Ejoy your trip and Safe travels!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Just dud thus in May

There are no issues taking short cuts thru the park to Grizzly Rv West Yellowstone.
You can enter via Laramie Cody thru the Tetons or Red Lodge ( I think it was called to the north)
No need to go around the outside.
At West Yellowstone the first thing you should do is go see the grizzly and wolf discovery centre ( we did as we were leaving and realized it should have been first cab off the rank)
We tracked 80 and entered via Rawlins
Good luck you'll have a blast
Old 12-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #4

This past summer we came in the south entrance and exited to the west in our 39' DP and the driving was easy. Yellowstone's actually got decent roads, parking, and even places to pull off the road where big coaches are not an issue (as compared to, say, Arches NP, where you struggle with parking a non-car size vehicle). We're looking forward to going back this coming summer when we'll have a bit more time!

Steve
Old 12-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
w1kk3d...

We went two summers ago and went up to Cheyenne then West on I-80 to 191N to Jackson... Then to the Tetons and into Yellowstone thru the South gate.... Spent 8+ days in Yellowstone then out through the East gate... 40' DP with a toad...,

Going to do it again this summer but will come in from East and out the South gate....
Old 12-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Driving Routes for Large RVs into Yellowstone National Park
ON EDIT: I might add that your decision to stay at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone is a good one. Excellent park and they just finished an expansion last summer so it's better than ever. Stayed there many times.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #7

Entering through Red Lodge is a VERY poor choise ... please don't ask why I know this.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
Entering through Red Lodge is a VERY poor choise ... please don't ask why I know this.
Got us interested!
Can you tell us what happened.
I drove it in the toad on a day trip while we were staying at West Yellowstone.
Tip. If you like a good cappuccino you won't find one in Red Lodge.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
After trying a number of routes to Yellowstone, I prefer to take I-25 up to Casper and then take 20/26 West to Shoshoni. Then take 789/20 North to Thermopolis (stop to take a swim in the hot springs!). From Thermoplis, take 120 right to Cody. Plenty to see in Cody. Then take 20/16/14 to the east entrance.

Past Fishing Bridge make a right to go to Canyon Village. At Canyon, make a left then another left at Norris. Bear right at Madison for the west entrance road.

It was the flattest way I could find.

Good luck!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
After trying a number of routes to Yellowstone, I prefer to take I-25 up to Casper and then take 20/26 West to Shoshoni. Then take 789/20 North to Thermopolis (stop to take a swim in the hot springs!). From Thermoplis, take 120 right to Cody. Plenty to see in Cody. Then take 20/16/14 to the east entrance.

Past Fishing Bridge make a right to go to Canyon Village. At Canyon, make a left then another left at Norris. Bear right at Madison for the west entrance road.

It was the flattest way I could find.

Good luck!
Cody is a great town with lots of history
It's an especially big days drive to Jackson Hole from West Yellowstone, so on our last trip we stayed a couple of nights in Cody. We drove to Jackson Hole and stayed in a hotel overnight.
Jackson Hole Ski Resort run the gondola during the summer. We spent a great afternoon at the top nibbles and wine. The view without snow is as especially good with a nice red wine or 3 in hand.
It's a great experience and its free.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #11

In 2002 we followed the Lewis & Clark trail to the Pacific ... on our way home we stayed overnight just west of Billings, MT ... my wife looks at the map and says "if we took highway US 212 we could go through a corner of Yellowstone ... that would be interesting" ...

I did not have a Mountain West Directory at the time ... so I agreed to her alternate suggested route ... suddenly we were in Red Lodge, MT ... and I remembered the description of the road in a book I had read ... and suddenly said "Oh, My God" .... the elevation went from 5800 ft to 9300 ft before getting to the summit ... there were fifty-eleven switchbacks ... and every time I turned on the outside I had to stop and let long lines of vehicles that were piled up behind me pass ...

The view from on top was spectacular I will admit ...

But the worst part for me was the traffic inside of yellowstone moved at about 20 mph ... and even worse there was not a single campsite available for our 35 fto motorhome ...

So I had to drive out the east entrance all the way to Cody to find a spot for the night ...

Will I ever go in the northeast entrance again ... I think not ...

I have been back to Yellowstone since ... I made reservations ... and I went in the East gate ... a much better experience ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #12

So, you went over Beartooth Pass?
Beautiful--one of the US most scenic drives, but...
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
w1kk3d...

We went two summers ago and went up to Cheyenne then West on I-80 to 191N to Jackson... Then to the Tetons and into Yellowstone thru the South gate.... Spent 8+ days in Yellowstone then out through the East gate... 40' DP with a toad...,

Going to do it again this summer but will come in from East and out the South gate....

Yep, Easiest and most simple - sort of boring across 80 however, then up through Rock Spring (most traffic), but probably the quickest. 287 up from Rawlins (Wind River area) is a more scenic drive IMHO.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
So, you went over Beartooth Pass?
Beautiful--one of the US most scenic drives, but...
Joe
On our first time to Yellowstone we deliberately drove from Red Lodge over the Beartooth Pass into the NE entrance to YS. I wanted to do that scenic road and am generally not intimidated by steep, winding roads. The Journey pulled the Explorer up and over with no issues and we loved the scenery. I had checked with others who had done the trip in a motorhome with no issues.

However, it is not a trip for the timid and your equipment needs to be in top shape.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote