Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #1

destin, fl north

need to get from east of destin (miramar beach) up to gaffney, sc. at the end of april. pretty straightforward from atlanta (85 right in) but i am having trouble trying to decide the best route to atlanta...40' motorhome.
thanks
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmbrown View Post
need to get from east of destin (miramar beach) up to gaffney, sc. at the end of april. pretty straightforward from atlanta (85 right in) but i am having trouble trying to decide the best route to atlanta...40' motorhome..
I wouldn't make myself crazy but I would get a trucker's atlas from a gas station on the Interstate and see what the available truck routes are from Destin to ATL. If a truck can do it, a 40 foot RV can follow in the footsteps.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:30 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
need to get from east of destin (miramar beach) up to gaffney, sc. at the end of april. pretty straightforward from atlanta (85 right in) but i am having trouble trying to decide the best route to atlanta...40' motorhome.
thanks
The best that streets/map shows is I-10 east to 231, go north to Dothan, 431 to Columbus, then 185 to I-85 thru Atlanta on to Gafney SC. Good luck.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:09 AM   #4

destin

thanks all
Old 12-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our usual route is, I-10 to Tallahassie, then US319 north to Thomasville Ga., then Ga.300 on to I-75 at Cordele then to Atlanta.

Fastest and easiest way we have found
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I've never taken an RV through Atlanta but in my car I avoid it at Rush hour if at all possible, actually 8am to 8pm. Went through during a rain storm once, passed 6 wrecks, and had an SUV driving too fast hydroplane and spin out missing me by about a foot. 7 AM on a Sunday morning it best.
ehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #7

We tended to by pass Atlanta. Depending on where we would be going....either (Franklin, NC-2-Cordele, GA) US441 on the East side (get off I-75 at Macon and run N to NC28/US441) or (Cordele, GA-2-Chattanooga, TN) US280 to I-185 and US27 from Columbus to Rome Bypass/GA53 then onto I75 at Calhoun. More miles better traffic and less travel time. Lotsa of semi's on these roads... they are fed up with trying to get thru Atlanta as well.

Note: if you come up thru Cordele you can stay on US280 and pick up US441 in McRae.

Most of the Primary roads are in pretty good shape. you may want to take the "truck route" around some of the towns (they are usually there for a reason) but otherwise they are pretty decent routes. we like the Primary roads.

The first time I ever drove our Class C, I had to go thru Atlanta at rush hour (north to south). But by the time I hit Macon, I could definitely handle the Class C.

We used to run a back way from Cordele to Panama City Beach that the Locals in Cordele used. It was.... different.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave-r View Post
I've never taken an RV through Atlanta but in my car I avoid it at Rush hour if at all possible, actually 8am to 8pm. Went through during a rain storm once, passed 6 wrecks, and had an SUV driving too fast hydroplane and spin out missing me by about a foot. 7 AM on a Sunday morning it best.
I can attest to Atlanta and RV traffic. I bought my fiver in Woodstock, a suburb north of Atlanta, and due to the congestion on I-285, drove the pickup and the fiver right downtown on I-75 through Atlanta, then caught I-85 for the trip through Georgia and Alabama to my home in the Florida panhandle. I though my daughter was going to crawl under the seat and hide. Did another trip through Atlanta on I-20 with the same setup. The wife slept through the transit through the Big Peach.

Being the son of a truck driver, such traffic doesn't bother me much. But to the ladies in the family, they would prefer I avoid large metro areas when they are riding shotgun.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 AM   #9

destin

as luck would have it, i think we will be going thru atlanta area on a sunday morning.
should i bypass - or is sunday "noonish" ok to go thru.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Our usual route is, I-10 to Tallahassie, then US319 north to Thomasville Ga., then Ga.300 on to I-75 at Cordele then to Atlanta.
If you have the time and have not driven US-98 along the FL panhandle, then I would recommend US-98 east to US-319 north instead of I-10. US-98 is one of the great drives in FL (along with A1A along the coast and US-1 through the Keys).

Bob
06 Bounder 35E
Old 12-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't worry much about Atlanta, just an extra 30 minutes of being extra careful and attentive. My wife always is a big help if for nothing more than reassurance.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
as luck would have it, i think we will be going thru atlanta area on a sunday morning.
should i bypass - or is sunday "noonish" ok to go thru.
Sunday morning shouldn't be bad at all, if I were going through with an RV that would be the day I would pick if possible.
ehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Inga View Post
If you have the time and have not driven US-98 along the FL panhandle, then I would recommend US-98 east to US-319 north instead of I-10. US-98 is one of the great drives in FL (along with A1A along the coast and US-1 through the Keys).

Bob
06 Bounder 35E

Living in the area I would disagree unless you like alot of stop lights and stop and go traffic, I don't in the RV. After Destin Hwy 98 veers off the coast and the scenery isn't all that special IMHO.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard