RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #1
M2D

Devil's Tower Monument to St Marys, MT

We will be staying at the KOA near Devil's Tower in WY. After that we are headed for St. Marys, MT. We are having trouble deciding on the route to take between these two locations.

A route suggested by a planning site has us start north from Billings off of 90. I am having trouble finding a CG on this route. The route as suggested is 630 miles. We usually like to stop somewhere for the night at 300 to 350 miles or so. We have a fiver. We have not so far in our travels just pulled over for the night without being in a campground.

The wifi has not been all that good here in Interior, MT so my ability to jump from planning site to planning site for routes and CGs has been slowed. Will be very grateful for any advice you all might offer. Right now we are leaving Interior today for Custer, SD for four nights and then on to Devil's Tower KOA. Also following the advice received here to keep checking on the fire situation near GNP.

Thanks,

Michele and Mark

M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2017, 10:37 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
WY 24 north, to WY 112 N across MT border to US 212. US 212 joins I-90, continue on I-90 to Billings, MT. (about 295 mi) Exit at US 87, Go left on MT 3 (Airport Rd) to US 12. W on US 12 until Harlow, US 191 N to Eddie's Corner US 87 to Great Falls, MT, I-15 N. Either get off I-15 at Vaughn and take US 89 to St. Mary, OR stay on I-15 until MT 44, W to US 89 to St. Mary.

There are campgrounds near Billings, Eddie's Corner, and places in between. (Harlowton)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
M2D

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. Some on IRV2 have said that the 89 approach to St. Marys is tricky and that the alternative road 400 something may be preferable. Would you have an opinion about that?

Your routing helps me to search for campgrounds near where we might want to overnight.

Many Thanks,

Michele and Mark
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post
Thank you very much for your detailed answer. Some on IRV2 have said that the 89 approach to St. Marys is tricky and that the alternative road 400 something may be preferable. Would you have an opinion about that?

Your routing helps me to search for campgrounds near where we might want to overnight.

Many Thanks,

Michele and Mark
MT 464 goes off US 89 at Browning, MT. I've only used US 89 to go to St. Mary. It does skirt the foothills, so it has some curves. After driving from Devils' Tower, I'd welcome some curves in the road and hills in the landscape. MT464 is straighter and flatter, but it's also not as wide as US 89. The difference in miles is US 89 is 28 miles, MT 464 to US 89 is 41 miles.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow