Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #1

I am doing a trip from East coming West through Oklahoma City pulling a 37 5th wheel and wanted to visit the national gorge in Canon, CO.

All the computer maps indicate going via Amarilo, Tx and going north on 287 to 87 then N on 64 to 24 to Raton then on up to Pubelo, etc.

Not having traveled these roads they look somewhat questionable pulling a fifth wheel.

Does anyone have any experience with a good recommended route from OK City to Canon, CO or experience traveling the MAPQUEST route noted above?

Thanks, Glen Odom, MS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #2

I am doing a trip from East coming West through Oklahoma City pulling a 37 5th wheel and wanted to visit the national gorge in Canon, CO.

All the computer maps indicate going via Amarilo, Tx and going north on 287 to 87 then N on 64 to 24 to Raton then on up to Pubelo, etc.

Not having traveled these roads they look somewhat questionable pulling a fifth wheel.

Does anyone have any experience with a good recommended route from OK City to Canon, CO or experience traveling the MAPQUEST route noted above?

Thanks, Glen Odom, MS

Old 09-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Bo

I see you received no replies on this and I am probably too late for you but here goes. I have traveled the route you describe a few times but not with as a large a rig as you have. The road is reasonably good but much of it is two lane. It is a significant amount shorter than taking 40 to 25 in New Mexico. I traveled the New Mexico portion in the winter in a snow storm with our MH and made it fine. You should be OK with your rig if you take it easy. BTW: you will be passing Capulin Volcano National Monument. Take a day and drive your tow rig up there. Its an interesting area and the view from the top is great. There is a very scenic road from Capulin to Raton but not suitable for your rig. Enjoy Canon City.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #4

You'll be fine, I've done that road many times. Big rigs do it all the time. Is narrow but wide open. A few high points, in Dumas is free nice city full hook up to stay. Top off tanks in Dalhart before NM to save $. Should see 200+ Antelope between Clayton and Raton.In Clayton great rest Eklund Hotel, get reservations.In Capulin is very nice campground. Should see 200+ Antelope between Clayton and Raton. In Raton, great campground(cross rail?)place on top of pass, yes you can get in. Nice view. Good rest Cracker Barrell in Pueblo.