RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #1

Do you use truck routes

Going to be new to the 5th wheel life, and searching for all kinds of info. My latest search is do you use truck routes when they are available?

phorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2018, 10:34 AM   #2

Sometimes. Especially when traveling on smaller highways. I have noticed that truck routes that bypass small towns may avoid very tight turns in the downtown area and can also avoid a lot of stop lights.

Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #3

Depends on the size of the town.

Sometimes you need to be awarer that on the non-truck route there may be a low bridge.

Generally yes for large towns.

I look at a map of some sort carefully.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #4

WE FTd for 7 yrs and RARELY used an Interstate

99% of our travels were via secondary/back roads....Many of them truck routes & farm roads

Yes we encountered 'low bridges' on occasions.

Majority were well marked/noted prior to coming upon them where alternate route was available.
Some were 'just there' and meant turning around
Just part of the adventure of traveling

When in DOUBT turn ABOUT

Interstates truckers trying to make a living and those in a hurry to get from point A to B

Get off the Interstates, Experience Small Town USA and have an Adventure!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #5

To me I believe it depends on your RVing style. In my particular case we don't go that far from home except on a couple occasions a year. Even these trips are less than 200 miles each from home and our longest stay is 4 days.
Although I enjoy driving, the destination is my goal for the trip. I see enough country roads, farms and small towns as it is. I live in the country. I pay more attention to my safe driving than gawking out the windows taking in the sights. What is to see in a small town you are passing through you haven't seen before anyway?
I use the truck routes through a couple cities. I have used standard routes and found stopping for stop lights and slowing for school zones as well as the additional traffic and inconsiderate drivers is annoying. The trip takes a few minutes longer and again I want to get where I am going.
I run my GPS which I keep updated even though I know these routes well. I would rather know ahead of time if I am going to encounter a construction zone or other delay.
Just another opinion.
Lynn
Old 11-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
I try to use US highways when possible, but did have a low bridge incident. Trying a U turn with a 55 foot rig on a small highway cost me $7,000 in repairs to the truck.

Still like the smaller roads, but ...
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #7

Always
danny285 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #8

We full-timed and traveled constantly throughout the country, including Canada and Alaska. Never paid attention to truck routes and never had any issue driving the 40' motorhome. We didn't use interstates; just secondary roads. We also stayed out of big cities. So I guess it just depends how you'll be driving.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #9

We have a 42ft fiver thats 13'6" tall and stay on highways as much as possible. There is nothing more white knuckling as going on a road that has no signs warning of a steep decline and winding curvy road, with drop off sides. It's Always fun seeing and smelling brakes smoking, and watching the rear of your RV coming up beside you on a sharp curve. WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN. No more side roads for a change of scenery unless the RV is in a parked spot unhitched from the truck. Never felt so sick and scared while being a passenger in my life. Warned hubby that if HE wants to continue to live, NO MORE SMALL ROADS WHEN TOWING.

Highways can be your best friend when it comes to bridges and gas station's as well as help if needed incase of braking down.
Tundra2084 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:14 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sooner or later it seems checking for low clearances is necessary. I use Allstays Camp & RV app and then check the route using the inRoute app.

The inRoute app also provides a quick look at the elevation changes. Speaking of elevation changes, get the Mountain Directory if traveling in the west.

Then go out and have fun!
Old 11-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I pay more attention to my safe driving than gawking out the windows taking in the sights. What is to see in a small town you are passing through you haven't seen before anyway?

Just another opinion.
Lynn
Wow.

I suspect many folks RV specifically in order to gawk at the sights; otherwise, we'd fly to our destinations. And I bet most of those gawkers are safe and comfortable driving their RVs too, even if you feel compelled to white-knuckle it during those 200 miles jaunts you take.

JMHO, of course.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #12

I am assuming that we are talking about marked truck routes not using the term for superslabs. In that case not following truck routes has potential problems proportional to the size of your rig. For somebody with a relatively light B or C the main issue is height as many are not that heavy. Once one gets into the large C's and A's there is also an issue of bridge/culvert weight ratings. The heavier the unit the more care that needs to be taken. It behooves a driver to have an idea what he weighs and what the general highway ratings are for where he is driving. In general US numbered highways are truck routes and will at least be marked if there is a lower limit or a height problem. I sort of assume the same holds true for numbered state highways but that varies by state. Local highways are liable to get one in trouble with limits but no markings because local drivers are expected to know. Given all that I tend to stay on either federal or state numbered highways as they should be marked and have a weight limit somewhere around 20.000 lbs per axle as that seems to be a popular number. I deviate with the roads into a campground as there is usually an exemption for a destination on the road.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Wow.

even if you feel compelled to white-knuckle it during those 200 miles jaunts you take.

JMHO, of course.
Where did you get the impression I was "white knuckled" while driving? Just because I pay attention?
Like I said, I enjoy driving my MH and anything else for that matter.
Lynn
Old 11-18-2018, 06:12 AM   #14

Thank you all for your responses. As always from what I've seen in this forum, good info and advice.

phorts is offline   Reply With Quote