Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are using our COMMON SENSE and following the State Departments advisory...we are avoiding the border. There is violence on both sides of the border from the drug cartels. They are determined to run the country and they some times forget where the border is located.

Living in Houston is getting to be too close to the border.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #44

Progresso has a high number of army troops stationed there and are in the immediate area of the bridge/shopping area. Wouldn't go out of the immediate area tho

Old 10-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
There you go again.

The amount of misinformation possessed and disseminated is astounding. Just google "Hunting in Mexico" and you will find loads of information about harvesting wildlife and bringing guns and ammo into Mexico. The people who have incorrect notions based on rumors, hearsay and sensational journalism will not be convinced themselves. I am posting to present a different and correct viewpoint in order that others will not be deprived of a good experience by people trying to convince you they know what is happening in the entire country based on a few hundred square miles along the border and Pacific coast.

A Maximum of 2 Rifles or Shotguns per hunter is allowed, guns may be accompanied by no more than 2 boxes of American Shells per gun (50 shells per gun). With the proper hunting permit, additional shells may be purchased in Mexico through various Licensed Sporting Goods Dealers. Only .22 caliber bullets and 12, 20 and .410-guage shotgun cartridges are available. Cost is somewhat expensive, but when measured with the risk of going to prison for smuggling shotgun shells into Mexico to save a few lousy dollars, the cost is cheap.

So all you hunters consider Mexico as a great place for duck and whitetail.
You are right about being able to hunt in Mexico and you can bring your shotgun or rifle into the country with the proper registration and permits obtained through guides. In my earlier post I was referring to the accidental transport of a stray shotgun round or single bullet which was inadvertently left in the ashtray of a pickup truck. The man was in jail for 9 months and his family paid $2,500 per month to the jail personnel so he could have a concrete floor and a toilet until they finally got him out.

Mexico has been a jewel to visit, and a step back in time, for many years. We have thoroughly enjoyed going to Acapulco for 12 years straight to a Villa we rented with several other couples. It is on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. This is the first year we did not go due to Acapulco being one of the hot spots for the drug cartels. As a matter of fact, one month after we left two years ago, 28 people were killed in a shootout about two blocks from our house.

It just isn't worth it.

Don
Old 10-31-2010, 10:10 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelone View Post
Question? As I am Canadian going to Brownsville Texas, with my rv, will stay in rv park Feb. 2011. I will want to go again as I did last year to Progresso Mexico for more dental work. Anyone been there [ Progresso Mexico] in the last couple of months? I always park at border and walk over.
Thanks
Rebel
There is an article in today's San Antonio Express News paper about how the violence has escaped Nuevo Progreso, Mexico. It still has plenty of visitors and appears to be safe for now. It really is a nice little town.

Have a great stay. Wave as you pass through San Antonio.

Don
Old 11-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #47

Interesting thread. Each to his or her own, I guess. Here's one more reason why I won't be visiting Mexico anytime soon:
3 Americans shot to death near Mexico-U.S. border - CNN.com

Estero, FL
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
...There is an article in today's San Antonio Express News paper about how the violence has escaped Nuevo Progreso, Mexico. It still has plenty of visitors and appears to be safe for now. It really is a nice little town...
I find that interesting. This past winter, I was working front desk at a hotel in Corpus Christi. We had a lot of Mexico vistors. We kept a TV on in the Lobby (turned down) and the Mexican Nationals would laugh every time they saw the ads saying how safe Nuevo Progresso was. More than one would tell me it was not safe and that most of the violence simply didn't make it into the newspapers. In return I would tell them how David used to sell home security systems in Chattanooga. There were several murders/killings in Chattanooga that never made it into the newspapers. We knew because often it involved a security system he sold. David sold a lot of security systems to the drug dealers in Chattanooga's Highland Park and St Elmo neighborhoods. We would agree it was all politically and tourism motivated. Of course that was in the beginning of the year and we left TX on June 1st. I'm sure everything is different now and perfectly safe.. that's what everyone here on the RV forums say.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

This just a sample of what is going on in Mexico

20 killed over weekend in Mexican border city

by Associated Press
khou.com
Posted on November 7, 2010 at 2:08 PM

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico -- At least 20 people were killed in drug-gang violence over the weekend in the northern Mexican border city of Ciudad Juarez, including seven found dead outside one house.
A spokesman for the attorney general’s office in Chihuahua state, where Ciudad Juarez is located, says that the seven men were believed to have been at a family party when they were gunned down last night. Five were found dead in a car, and the other two were shot at the entrance of the home.
There have been several such massacres in Ciudad Juarez, a city held hostage by a nearly three-year turf battle between the Juarez and Sinaloa cartels.
Few residents now venture out to bars and restaurants. And like those attacked yesterday, others have discovered that they aren’t even safe in their own homes: Last month, gunmen stormed two neighboring houses and massacred more than a dozen young people attending a party for a 15-year-old boy.
Ciudad Juarez, across the border from El Paso, Texas, has become one of the world’s deadliest cities in the time that the two cartels have been fighting. More than 6,500 people have been killed since the start of 2008.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #50

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
Hello Has anyone went across the border at Douglas az.?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club

Yeah, everything along the border is just hunky-dory. NOT!! See HERE.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post

Yeah, everything along the border is just hunky-dory. NOT!! See HERE.

Rusty
Hunting feral hogs? Not!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #53

We are in punta perula now , all is quiet as normal. crossed at eagle pass then saltillo ,zacatacus, guadalajara and on to the coast. absolutly no problems and everyone here had the same experience. dont worry be happy!
Old 11-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
"Don't worry be happy!"

Don't worry, you may be lucky!

Safe travels, Joe
Old 11-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mass grave discovered in Palomas, Mexico across border from Columbus, NM.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hear a lot more reasons to keep my money on this side of the border than I hear to go down into Mexico.

Ken