Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #1

Down Ole Mexico Way

Tis the time of year we usually go down for our first of several months trips. Usually head to Zacatecas, San Miguell etc way through Columbia near laredo. Anyone been through lately. Encounter any problems security or other wise? Passer by's told us Mex authority only allowed them 1 vehicle, even though both were in respective names, been through many times. Had to leave Toad in rental space in Laredo.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In general, Mexico is not safe, even for the nationals. Article in today's Houston Chronicle about how may folks are fleeing Monterrey and living in the US. They do not feel safe on their side of the border.

A fellow at work in a Mexican national and has a work visa for here and trying to get his wife and son to move to Houston. He does not feel safe traveling back to see his family.

Based on the reports that we see and hear, I will keep ky money on this side of the border.

Ken

Old 09-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #3

Down Ole Mexico Way

Sooo what was the question, didn't ask for an opinion, asked for actual experience. We half full time in Mexico, and get along better in Quanajato than Houston.ave mone, drop chron. If all listened to The papers, maybe all should get into MMH and drive off cliff.
Ken
Old 09-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You don't have to listen to anything anyone post, Just reporting the facts from the paper and from a coworker. He is back and forth across the border once or twice a month. Sure hope we don't read about you in the paper.

Buena suerta,

Ken
Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
In general, Mexico is not safe, even for the nationals. Article in today's Houston Chronicle about how may folks are fleeing Monterrey and living in the US. They do not feel safe on their side of the border.

A fellow at work in a Mexican national and has a work visa for here and trying to get his wife and son to move to Houston. He does not feel safe traveling back to see his family.

Based on the reports that we see and hear, I will keep ky money on this side of the border.

Ken
@ Ken, Not to say there are not problems in Mexico, there are. But it is not accurate to paint the entire geographic region with one brush stroke. There are plenty of places in the States we avoid. That dosen't mean that our entire country is unsafe. For example, Moorestown, NJ, ranked in the top 80 best places to live in the US by Forbes Magazine. Average value of a home is $532,828. This lovely town is only 7.8 miles away from Camden, NJ, the number one most dangerous city in the US according to Morgan Quinto.

Be smart, don't walk down dark alleys banged up drunk in the middle of the night waving wads of cash around wherever you are. They take good care of the tourists in our area. So, in a very respectful and friendly way, please consider you may be mistaken about the state of the entire country. We live near Cancun in the winter and have had a very positive experience.

Lunch with a tiger in Playa del Carmen
Old 10-26-2010, 05:17 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Itís extremely volatile down there now. My relatives will not cross over to attend the funerals anymore. Our H2A and H2B workers that go back to Mexico each year speak of a lot of kidnappings for ransom and random robberies while driving down the roads.
I would think you would be a rolling target for money.
Explorer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Those of us who live in the border states know full well what's going on in Mexico. I wouldn't get near the Rio Grande right now on a bet, let alone cross it. If you want to ignore us (whistle while walking through, not past, the graveyard, so to speak ), that's your choice, but I'm not taking my family over there, even on a day trip.

Your money, your life, your choice.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #8

excerpt from a long article by Linda Ellerbie:

I'm a journalist who lives in New York City, but has spent considerable time in Mexico , specifically Puerto Vallarta , for the last four years. I'm in Vallarta now. And despite what I'm getting from the U.S. media, the 24-hour news networks in particular, I feel as safe here as I do at home in New York, possibly safer. I walk the streets of my Vallarta neighborhood alone day or night. And I don't live in a gated community, or any other All-Gringo neighborhood. I live in Mexico.. Among Mexicans. I go where I want (which does not happen to include bars where prostitution and drugs are the basic products), and take no more precautions than I would at home in New York; which is to say I don't wave money around, I don't act the Ugly American, I do keep my eyes open, I'm aware of my surroundings, and I try not to behave like a fool.

The U.S. media tend to lump all of Mexico into one big bad bowl. Talking about drug violence in Mexico without naming a state or city where this is taking place is rather like looking at the horror of Katrina and saying, "Damn. Did you know the U.S. is under water?" or reporting on the shootings at Columbine or the bombing of the Federal building in Oklahoma City by saying that kids all over the U.S. are shooting their classmates and all the grownups are blowing up buildings. The recent rise in violence in Mexico has mostly occurred in a few states, and especially along the border. It is real, but it does not describe an entire country.

It would be nice if we could put what's going on in Mexico in perspective, geographically and emotionally. It would be nice if we could remember that, as has been noted more than once, these drug wars wouldn't be going on if people in the United States didn't want the drugs, or if other people in the United States weren't selling Mexican drug lords the guns. Most of all, it would be nice if more people in the United States actually came to this part of America ( Mexico is also America , you will recall) to see for themselves what a fine place Mexico really is, and how good a vacation (or a life) here can be.

So come on down and get to know your southern neighbors. I think you'll like it here. Especially the people!

We spend 4 months a year in our (sticks and bricks) condo in Mexico. Maybe you are suggesting we may have have missed rampant drug cartels, carjacking and mass murder shootouts on the streets? I assure you we have not.

We see motorhomes and RV's frequently. The people are very happy. When we ask them about their driving experiences they all say have the same report. It's alright after the border and Mexico City is big. Check out paamul
for a campsite right on the Caribbean beach!
Old 10-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Another view - take your pick.

Rusty
Old 10-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I am glad that you have spent time in Mexico without incident. Some years ago, when not much was on the news about Mexico, we spent time in Puerto Vallarta with another couple. Things did not go as smoothly as they have for you. I don't care to get into a comparison match regarding safety and our trip, so don't ask. This could turn into a "Walmart" type post! We just want to forget about it and we never want to go back. One of the horror stories that we read about involved two couples in separate campers. I don't know how to come up with the news report because it was some time ago, but things went horribly wrong for them. I recall that both campers were stolen after the people were forced to give the campers up to armed men on the highway. But like you said, that is just one incident and it probably will never happen to you or anyone that you know. I wish you well and happy travels. Joe
Old 10-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is crazy. Maybe the reason there is not much "first hand experience" is they didn't survive the experience. My wife is hesitate to spend the night in a rest area and I can just see her now if I were to say "come on honey, lets go south of the border".

I hope if you're in Mexico now Orchardhill you're having a grand time and "carrying".
Old 10-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
This is crazy. Maybe the reason there is not much "first hand experience" is they didn't survive the experience. My wife is hesitate to spend the night in a rest area and I can just see her now if I were to say "come on honey, lets go south of the border".

I hope if you're in Mexico now Orchardhill you're having a grand time and "carrying".
Let's hope he's not "carrying" south of the border. They really frown on anyone who tries to bring a weapon down there. "Frown" meaning a long jail sentance.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trouble with "carrying" down there, this side of the river or the other side, the bad guys are better armed than you average Marine. So we will stay well clear of the border until it gets cleaned up.

Ken
Old 10-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #14

Our place in Mexico is the same distance from Houston as Boston! Nobody would actually consider stereotypically characterizing all New Englanders as bowlegged, six gun shootin', tobacco chewing, cowboys right off the range. Boston or Minneapolis is quite different than Texas as are equally distant places in Mexico different from the border. How could anybody claim to know more about my neighborhood from news reports or second hand information than I do from actual experience?

This forum is supposed to be an helpful exchange of information. I am just trying to let everybody know about another place to take our rigs.

Here are some first hand facts; The beaches are beautiful, the people are friendly, the food is great and we see many happy, satisfied, safe campers all over the Yucatan and Belize. The reports of a totally lawless, wild, dangerous country are simply not true for the entire country.

The Mayan and Aztec ruins are fantastic to visit. The wildlife and fishing are world class. The beach area around Cancun is a big time scuba diving attraction. The worlds second largest barrier reef is just off shore. Jacques Cousteau called Cozumel the best place to dive in the world. The weather (except for summer) is perfect. It is very similar to a tropical island except we can drive there!