Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #1

Driving at night, "sleeping" during the day.

We're planning a trip in July from Deming,NM to Boise,ID. Since it gets so hot down here in the summer I was thinking of buying a portable generator for the AC in our 5th wheel and parking at a WalMart, etc during the day and driving through Phoenix/Las Vegas at night. Is that a good idea, anybody who's done that?
You "guys" are a great resource, thank you!
Matt

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know how much sleep you'll get during the day in a Wal-Mart parking lot. It's noisey enough at night.

I did Vegas in July a few years ago. We drove in from Zion leaving early in the morning and got to Circus Circus before it got TOO hot (remember its DRY heat...). When we left a few days later to go to Yosemite, I left around 4am and drove through the Mojave Desert while it was still relatively cool.

Depending on the Walmart, the parking lot can get pretty full during the day so be careful not to take up too much real estate so that Walmart continues its great policy for RVers.

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
or you could sleep days at a campground??? then travel at night,

wally world would for us to waaaaay to noisy
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:19 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
We're planning a trip in July from Deming,NM to Boise,ID. Since it gets so hot down here in the summer I was thinking of buying a portable generator for the AC in our 5th wheel and parking at a WalMart, etc during the day and driving through Phoenix/Las Vegas at night. Is that a good idea, anybody who's done that?
You "guys" are a great resource, thank you!
Matt
i don't see why not.
check this resource, this free site depends on users to keep it up to date:
Walmart Store Locations Map - Wal-Mart Guide
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have visited the local Wally-World where I"m at at various hours.. If I"m parking there it is night time and I'm in the least popular (And for that matter most level) portion of the lot.. But during the day even that area fills up with cars.

That said. The plan to drive all night is likely a good one.. Even at "MAX" dash air is not up to the size of the front windows in a motor home.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #6

I used to live in Vegas and most of the time in the summer it is 98 at midnight, which is better than the 109 during the day. That said a Honda 2000 will not run an A/C, you would have to have 2 of them and a BIG chain to lock it up. It may walk away while you are sleeping.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #7

I see no problem with what you plan. Get a generator big enough to handle your AC with a little to spare (carry a can with an extra gallon of gas). And park on the outskirts of the parking lots. Our 2.5KW generator uses about 1/4 gallon/hour to run our old 13.5kbtu AC, REF and Freezer. On our trip out here (NC to NM during the middle two weeks of July) we learned the following: Don't travel on I20 during the hottest part of the summer. Take lots of little breaks. Enjoy the AC at the rest stops that has it (usually has a nice welcome center type thing will lots of little pamplets to read) or the cool bathrooms. Pull off the road to just drink a lglass of iced tea in a cool restaurant when you start getting hot. Get off the extremely hot interstate (I20 was several degrees hotter than the surrounding area). We pulled off I20 at Odessa/Midland and took primary roads to Roswell then over to our destination (Socorro... about 1 hour south of Albuquerque on I25). The drive was much cooler and more relaxed. Also more trucks seem to be running the old primary roads as opposed to the the interstates. So there are more towns with big fuel stations. In Nov we traveled from Socorro to Corpus Christ and back tracked to Roswell (stayed at the Sams club for the night) then down to Ft Stockton on primary roads to pick up I10 & I35 to Corpus. The primary road we were on crossed I20... where we stayed at a Flying J and dumped our holding tanks, etc as well as I10. We have noticed that many of the primary roads either run real close to interstates or cross them. And you can find a Wal Mart parking lot just about anywhere. And we learned to fill up when we passed a gas station because those little dots on the map do not necessarily have a gas station there (no gas between Tatum and Roswell -- 75 miles... we back tracked 35 of them to get gas at Tatum... my RV only has a 35 gal tank and the generator was also plumbed into it... we fixed that).

While traveling the interstates are easier in that you always know where the truck stops, restaurants, etc are, we have found that we actually make better time (even if the distance is longer) and are not as tired running the primary roads. It does mean you need a good atlas and to plan your route a little better.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree that I would not try to seep in a WalMart parking lot during the daytime ...in addition to the noise, all that blacktop will reflect a LOT of additional heat. I've lived in the SW and probably would drive early morning into early afternoon, then try to find a bit of shade to sit out the hottest part of the day (which often goes until dark or after!!), or find an RV park to overnight it rather than run my generator for ac while sleeping. Frankly, if your F-350 will handle towing in the heat, and has good dash ac, driving would likely be more comfortable than sitting! Once you get past Vegas and gain some altitude, it won't be so bad ...but gaining that altitude during the heat of the day would be a severe test for the F-350.

Quote:
Even at "MAX" dash air is not up to the size of the front windows in a motor home
When traveling in our MH hot weather, we run the generator and the house ac system. But a fiver doesn't normally have that option, and it can get pretty hot inside the trailer even with some ventilation.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Lester:
I had some experience driving an eighteen wheeler long haul. A lot of drivers do drive only at night. I tried it and found that I was so used to sleeping at night that I couldn't drive safely at night. I tended to doze when it was dark. My best results were to drive from about three or four in the morning for eight or ten or twelve hours. The other benefit was there was a lot better available parking in the truck stops in the early afternoon. I always traveled the Interstates even though we were paid "shortest distance" and from zip code to zip code. Anyhow my .02 cents for now. Milt
Old 03-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #10

Thank you all. I really do appreciate your advice. I'm thinking of forgetting the generaator and WalMarts and using the electricity at an RV park and leave early in the AM because I too find that the next day is hard after driving all night. Besides..I'M RETIRED!!!!!!!!!
Now I'm looking for an RV park north of Las Vegas on I-15 or Rt. 93? Sincere thanks again. Matt
Old 03-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #11

I'll put my search for an RV park at the other place for RV parks. Sorry, new at this.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
"Even at "MAX" dash air is not up to the size of the front windows in a motor home"

I believe he is in a dually. That a/c ought to cool it cab shouldn't it? It just doesn't make good reasoning to try to sleep duing the day in a 5er with a genset runnng beside it and working HARD in that kind of heat. You will not sleep that well during the day anyway.

Day sleeping is not a good idea.