Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Driving in cold with class A

I would like to hear from people that have traveled out of Canada or northern states in winter .We will not use water for the first day or two .What I am wondering about is how warm I can get the front if it is -20 .I am wondering
if I should hang a couple of moving blankets behind the passenger area to keep the heat at the front .Not sure how I would do that .Or should I turn the furnace on and hope it can keep up . Its just the first day that could be
bad I hope .

1999 Georgie Boy Landau 3512 on Ford F53
2006 Mazda Tribute ,2001 Goldwing
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
The furnace is a good bet and I have found too if the sun is shinning in the front windows its a real pulse.

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
At -20 I know that neither my dash heater nor my furnace would do much to overcome that level of cold while moving down the road at 60 MPH. I would turn my generator on and add some strategically placed electric space heaters. I would also have all of those running for a couple hours before my planned departure, as well as the engine block heater.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
There are 12v plug in throws for over your lap. Space heaters would scare me on the move. How about a little McGuiver idea. Purchase some pvc and construct 2 end frames kind of like an L only have the bottom of the L going in both directions for stability. Then attach a cross bar to both ends then hang some clear plastic to the cross bar. The frame would be similar to that game bolo toss. Then crank the front heater.
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
We used to leave Wisconsin in early January . We have never travelled at -20 ... but we have travelled at -5 ... as you have guessed the heat loss at 60 mph from all that glass up front is tremendous. We dressed in warm weather clothing (long underwear, extra layer of clothes, LP furnace running, dash heater running, genset running with small ceramic heater ... and it was still cold .... my wife used a lap robe ... I wore a stocking cap and gloves ...

That got us out of the extreme cold in one day.

In our '99 Adventurer I did create a barrier to hold in cold air from the dash when we travelled in hot summer weather. I put two cup hooks into the cupboards as close to the ceiling as I could get them on either side of the coach just aft of the seats. I pulled a heavy cord across and tied it securely. I hung a plastic paint drop cloth using snap clothes pins from the string. I cut a slit in in it so you could walk through ... I used duct tape to fasten some weights (washer and nuts) to the drop cloth so it would hang down ... it worked okay to hold the cold in ... but when we stopped for the night the back of the coach would be boiling hot and took forever to cool down enough for us to sleep ... so I think you could probably do the opposite with retaining heat up front ... but then you would most likely have an extremely cold coach to warm when you stopped for the evening.
2004 Winnebago Journey 39W - 2012 Buick Enclave
Present @home Home: Oshkosh, WI
We call our rig "Ernie the Journey"

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
If your coach has a 'recirculate' function use it, running inside air instead of much colder outside air through the heater is a big help.

The other method that seems a little counter-intuitive but helps a lot, is to open the rearmost roof vent just a little. While driving this creates a big vacuum and pulls a lot of cold air out and draws warm air down the back. This allows you to run the dash heater at a higher setting because the air isn't just cooking you, it's being blended with the cold air behind you.

A lot of the cold you feel is the draft caused by convection currents. Hot air wants to rise, cold air wants to sink, this causes a draft from behind you as cold air moves forward to replace warm air.

In near identical conditions my Dad can get the temp 10-15. deg F. higher in his 35' class A doing this. In my smaller C the difference is even greater, but a C has a much better heater too.
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've been down the road maybe not at -20 but pretty cold and with the engine heat and the furnace on, we've stayed comfortable. As mentioned if the sun gets to shining in the windshield that's a real plus for heat as well. Good luck and hope you enjoy your travels.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #8
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Its still -30 here and looking like it will stay until the end of the month .We leave Winnipeg Feb26th .So I bought a cargo bar that extends to 105 in I mounted it near the ceiling just behind the passenger seats .I hung a moving blanket from it with tie straps .The valance for the curtains is right under it so if it comes loose it will just sit on that .I am now confident that we will be nice and warm .I also bought a 12V blanket for DW .so she can be toasty .
we have a 110 v electric blanket to warm the bed at night .If we don't have power we will run the gen for 1 hr before bed .we should be in warm weather by mid second day .Thank you for your replies very help full .
1999 Georgie Boy Landau 3512 on Ford F53
2006 Mazda Tribute ,2001 Goldwing
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
People, me included use the gen for A/C going down the road and use for electric heater also going down the road would be no problem with one watch it. Make sure the the heaters can not turn over and start a fire. We run the furnace when it gets too cold for the cab heat to keep up and the combination roast you out. So I would think in -whatever a combination would do the trick. The big thing is just keep checking to see everything is OK. We have become the hourly stopper to check ourselves and the coach in good and bad weather.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy Neighbor,
If your not leaving till the end of Feb all those -20-30----- will be faint- Memories. I would run both the Furnace and Dash heat. Use them until you get used to it then turn down. Wear a set of long johns and a sweater/sweatshirt. They sell electric throws/blankets that can be used also. But be comfortable. I wouldn't use a space heater I would be more worried about it tipping over than being cold. Is your MH set up for winter camping?
Thanks what I do.
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
We just returned to Iowa from Dallas Tx. Leaving Tx it was 23 degrees and the engine heat was adequate. The sun was shining until noon and then the clouds closed in and we had to turn on the LP furnace. Ran the furnace from then until we returned home at midnight. By midnight the temp was -15 and the engine heat and the furnace were only able to keep us from freezing. We had our coats on and blankets over our legs. No good heat around the gas/brake pedals. Even the dog wanted under a wool blanket.

Ed and Barb Burgess
2004 42' Country Coach Tag, Intrigue
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote

class a