Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #15
I lived on the coast in California and have driven this highway for many years. CA Hwy 1 is a very narrow two-lane road with many sharp switchbacks. In addition, it is a heavily travelled road, especially on weekends. Impatient motorists behind you may want to pass and the pullouts are few and far between. IMHO it would be a very stressful driving experience. Driving North puts you and your vehicles close to any hillside and rocky abutments which, depending on the oncoming traffic, could put you closer than you might want to drive. I am sure that is why others may have suggested your RV might get scraped. All of the scenic overviews are on the west side and often the pullouts won't accommodate your length (again depending on day of week and number of travelers). Personally the suggestion to drive via Salinas and down 20 miles South would be my choice.

Why don't you do a day trip on the Hwy in your toad and get a feel for your own comfort level?

BTW, the Big Sur Inn is a great breakfast exerience!

2012 Itasca Sunstar 26P
1990 VW Vanagon (toad)
LadyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've done it in a 40 footer towing several times. Just do it.

stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #17
Originally Posted by LadyJ View Post
Impatient motorists behind you may want to pass and the pullouts are few and far between.
'Impatient' being defined as anyone who does not want to follow a large motor home for hours at 20 mph. You can make it but I would see it as being very inconsiderate to other drivers.
smiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #18
I was there last May. Stayed for a week in Paso Robles and took the toad to San Simeon/Hearst Castle and Piedras Blancas Beach for the elephant seals. Drove north on Hwy 101 to an RV Park just south of Gilroy and stayed a week. Took the toad to Big Sur, Carmel and Monterey. Part of Hwy 1 north of Big Sur was under construction and one lane only...to repair where the roadway fell into the ocean. I cannot understand why anyone would want to drive that with a motorhome, let alone towing a vehicle. Too much to see and enjoy. After that we took US 1 north, thru San Francisco and over the Golden Gate. What a blast!
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:16 PM   #19
I'm a California native, and I've driven Highway 1 along Big Sur many times. You could not pay me to take our 28 ft MH on that route. Yes, it is stunningly gorgeous, but it would be a long, slow white knuckle drive, and there are very, very few places to pull out or turn around, especially with a toad. On the other hand, I adore driving the road in our toad, an MX5. That's what toads are for!

According to CA DOT, Motorhomes over 40ft are illegal on this stretch of Hwy1, and trucks are restricted, too, to vehicles under 30ft from kingpin to rear axle.

Good luck, whichever you decide!

Mrs. M
Just the two of us, and Falkor, the 2015 Ford 350 Dually, pulling a 2016 39R12 Vengeance Touring Edition Toy Hauler, with a Can-Am Spyder RT
Mrs.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #20
National RV Owners Club
I've driven that road years ago, but not with a RV. Do they still run stop lights when a portion of the road gets washed out?? Ran into this one night, really scared the wife who had never been on this road.
Joe & Angie
Shih Tzu's Cookie & Rocky
2001 Tradewinds 7390 2011 CRV EX-L Navi w/ RoadMaster FuseMaster
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
I'm driving it north to south in a couple of weeks
Had toyed with the idea of doing it in the coach but it seems it would be more relaxing to camp on 101 and backtrack in the toad
Not being able to pull off in a 45 ft coach would be my biggest problem and probably pulled over by the highway patrol 2 nd.
2005 Monaco Signature Castle 1V
2013 Subaru Outback Toad
SteveSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #22
All, thanks again for all the great input. Wow. We did it. Drove from El Paso Robles to Big Sur going North with our 37" MH and our toad Jeep. No issues. We did this on a tuesday morning and traffic was light. There were many places on the right side where I could pull aside and let the traffic go when I saw few cars behind me. As most of you mentioned this is a must do...gorgeous. Tight turns but no problem driving.
Got to Big Sur all OK....here is the interesting part. Trying to park in the tight campground I hit a huge log separating the sites and messed up the cargo door and lock Bradley. I was able to crawl from the other side and open the cargo door to use what we needed. We will fix this when we go back to San Diego in May. This is a new coach with the lines on paints so I hope they can match the paint. Oh well.....it was fun.
We will be heading to Yosemite and then Sequoia after here...we are in Carmel/Monterey area now.
Nxkharra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #23
Isn't that always the way, worry about the road and then do the damage in the campground.

Go to a good shop and they'll match the paint so you can't even tell there was ever a repair.
smiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #24
Maybe hid a log with the other side and it will match --won't need to be fixed ?? Just saying
Glad your having a good trip. Enjoy
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #25
Newmar Owners Club

I drove this Hwy in a 43 foot tag axel going south with a toad. We pulled the mirrors in a lot but could see out of them. I was really glad we did. I would do it again if we go up that way.

2005 Newmar DSDP 4320/ 2008 Jeep Liberty
3 1940 Ford Conv+1 in a basket (under Const.) Newest car 1941 Lincoln Zypher sedan.
Lake Havasu City, AZ
1940 ford is offline   Reply With Quote