Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2014, 11:38 PM   #1

Driving north on HWY 1 in CA to Big Sur

Hi all. Please help. We have a Itasca Meridian 36M (37foot) and pulling a Jeep. We are on our way North on Hwy 1 toward Big Sur. They are telling me the road is too narrow for our MH and we should go to HWY 101 North to Salnas and come down south 20 miles to enter from North entrance. I really want to go North. Please advise.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 12:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Who is telling you that? People with RV's drive that road all the time.

I've been up and done that section several times. You'll be going pretty slow a good part of the way but it's a very pretty drive.

Fuel up before you start though.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Who is telling you that? People with RV's drive that road all the time. I've been up and done that section several times. You'll be going pretty slow a good part of the way but it's a very pretty drive. Fuel up before you start though.
THANKS. This is what I wanted to hear. We came through some narrow road entering Yellow Stone from West with no problem. So I will try this.
Do trucks go through this route?
Old 03-23-2014, 12:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
THANKS. This is what I wanted to hear. We came through some narrow road entering Yellow Stone from West with no problem. So I will try this.
Do trucks go through this route?
I believe there is a maximum vehicle length of 40' on that road, so I don't think you'll see any large trucks. Some friends of ours just did it with a 36' Class A, and wished they hadn't. Said he was so busy driving that he couldn't enjoy the view. My guess is it will all depend on your comfort level driving your coach.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:58 AM   #5

Myself and lots of others have done it with a 40' MH and toad. As Traps mentioned, folks have different levels of comfort when driving. You will need to move the steering wheel, unlike interstate hwy driving. Many prefer to travel south so you don't have to cross the road to pull into and out of the scenic pullouts.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:06 AM   #6

Quote:
THANKS. This is what I wanted to hear. We came through some narrow road entering Yellow Stone from West with no problem. So I will try this. Do trucks go through this route?
Arch, what size is your rig?
Old 03-23-2014, 01:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
Myself and lots of others have done it with a 40' MH and toad. As Traps mentioned, folks have different levels of comfort when driving. You will need to move the steering wheel, unlike interstate hwy driving. Many prefer to travel south so you don't have to cross the road to pull into and out of the scenic pullouts.
Thanks again. I am fairly comfortable driving our 36' MH but some of the stories scare me.
They say you will actually scratch your MH since it is too tight. It does not make sense. If I change my mind is there any way to turn around?
Old 03-23-2014, 01:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks again. I am fairly comfortable driving our 36' MH but some of the stories scare me.
They say you will actually scratch your MH since it is too tight. It does not make sense. If I change my mind is there any way to turn around?
After reading the info above, I would change my suggestion. I would recommend you take an alternate route. There is nothing there to warrant a white knuckle drive for you. Travel where you will be able to enjoy the drive. Some of the more tricky parts of the coastal road would not offer a safe opportunity to turn around.

It would be interesting to know who "they" are that say you WILL scratch your MH on the the coast road.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:43 AM   #9

I went that way in a 36' coach pulling a toad. It is very doable but after several miles we moved over to 101. I was always in a turn an watching the road just unable to see any of the sites.
So doable just not worth the effort to me again.

Russell
Old 03-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #10

Last year I drove north on CA 1 with my 39K pulling the Honda CRV. Yes there are streches that are "tight". And yes you have to pay attention to the road and not the view in those stretches. As mentioned above it depends own your comfort level.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #11

I used to live in North Cal. even in a pickup you need to keep your eyes on the road, not so much from narrow, but all the tight curves. we have gone on it a lot, but it is SLOW. I would take 101 if you want to see anything.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
After reading the info above, I would change my suggestion. I would recommend you take an alternate route. There is nothing there to warrant a white knuckle drive for you. Travel where you will be able to enjoy the drive. Some of the more tricky parts of the coastal road would not offer a safe opportunity to turn around. It would be interesting to know who "they" are that say you WILL scratch your MH on the the coast road.
The person at the Park who took my reservation said that. When I called back today to add more days to our stay I spoke to another person and she said it is doable.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hi all. Please help. We have a Itasca Meridian 36M (37foot) and pulling a Jeep. We are on our way North on Hwy 1 toward Big Sur. They are telling me the road is too narrow for our MH and we should go to HWY 101 North to Salnas and come down south 20 miles to enter from North entrance. I really want to go North. Please advise.
Would I take our coach on Hwy 1? Not a chance. But I was raised in California and have been up (and down) the coast many many, times. I've ran it in sports cars, trucks and Harley's. And even on a bike it gets tedious. At some point you start asking yourself it if will ever end.

But here's the thing. Hwy 1 is gorgeous - drop dead gorgeous. Bucket list beautiful, one of the top scenic drives in the country, maybe the world. And if you think this is your one chance to see it, maybe you don't plan on being back this way again - then do it. You'll kick yourself for the rest of your life if you got this close and backed out.

Yes, it will be slow. Yes, there will be some white knuckle spots, and yes, it would have been better to run it north to south so you don't have to cross the road for pullouts. But it is what it is.

You've got lots of good input from the fine folks on this list already, so I'll offer just two suggestions. First, if you have the time, have you thought of leaving the motorhome at the south end and running Hwy1 in your toad? Would make for a MUCH nicer drive and at day's end maybe grab a nice B&B in Santa Cruz or Half Moon Bay and make a night of it. The drive back the next day on 101 is only a couple of hours to Paso Robles. You get to see Hwy 1 without the drama.

If Plan A won't work for you then by all means run it in the motorhome. Avoid weekends like the plague, they can be a traffic nightmare. Be prepared for a long, slow drive, fuel up before Cambria and plan on saying OMG about a gillion times at the breathtaking beauty

Good luck
Old 03-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Arch, what size is your rig?
38 feet.

However I've not driven my motorhome over that section but wouldn't hesitate to do so.

I lived in Salinas and went up and down the coast many times. I used to backpack in the Ventana Wilderness and come out at the Big Sur campgrounds.

There are big rigs on there occasionally...they deliver to stores and restaurants in Big Sur along with a gas station further south of Big Sur which has some pretty steep prices.

I've seen a lot of RV's on there and, no, you won't scratch your rig.