Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Snow covered roads would be about as good of an excuse as I can think of to boon dock any place you want!
Same here

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #16

I will probably catch a lot of flack over this, but I see no reason for a retired full timer to ever drive on snow or dangerous conditions. As for me, I am pulling everything I own down the road. I would not jeopardize my house (if I still owned one). Why jeopardize my home on wheels? I am travelling for pleasure and it is not pleasant to drive under dangerous conditions. There is no shortage of Wal-marts, truck stops, rest areas or other places to get off the road and wait. I plan on travelling until I die and that is hard to do when your rig is on its side in a borrow ditch along an interstate.

halfwright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Despite my long list of "Tips to drive in poor traction conditions", it is better to stop and just avoid the issues altogether.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #18

We go snow skiing and drive the coach a lot in snow and sometimes icy conditions. I always surprised how well the big coach does in the snow. Most of the Interstates and most of the main back roads are relatively snow free or will be a day or so after a big storm.

At Canaan Valley State Park, WV it is pretty darn hilly and our coach just moved right up the hills to the best camping spot there is. (Isn't that right Tarheel?)

Several things to keep in mind. The parking brake only locks the rear wheels. On my coach the engine is in the rear. We stopped the coach on a slight up grade, set the brake and went outside to shovel out a camp spot. The engine heat melted the top layer of snow, the locked rear wheels suddenly lost traction and down the hill she went backwards for a short distance till the rear tires gained traction once again .

Keep the defroster on to keep the windshield warm. Keep the air conditioner switch on to remove the moisture from the inside air.

We always keep at least a half tank of water on board. Once we got stopped in traffic due to a accident ahead during a snow storm and really cold temperatures. We were able to make supper and have a bathroom to use while we waited, which in itself can be a problem. Others in the long traffic backup came knocking wanting to use the bathroom also!!!! We went through several pots of coffee giving all who wanted some a cup during that wait. In this case the police came around after about 2 hours and offered to allow the traffic to turn around and drive the wrong way on the interstate and go down the on ramp to a detour. We unhooked the toad, turned the coach and toad around and re-hooked and away we went! (BTW, we lock the toad to the coach and the locks were ice covered. I had to use a flame to melt the ice from the locks!

If you boon-dock in a Walmart parking lot in a snow storm, be prepared for the contract snow plow to box you in with 4 foot high snow piles! He was having breakfast inside Walmart when I showed up and I heard him laughing at us with his buddies!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skiing 066.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	113833  
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:50 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrask View Post
Thanks! We live in Chicago, so we're not entirely clueless about winter driving, but it's nice to hear that it's not totally insane to consider doing it in an RV.

Your Tour looks fantastic, by the way! My wife's sister and brother-in-law have one similar to it, and we're going to spend time with them in the same RV park in Arizona on our way out to California. Our poor little Palazzo will have an inferiority complex by the time we're done, I'm sure!
Thanks for the comments. Appreciate the kind words.

IMO when we are all sitting around the fire there is no difference. No inferiority complexes are allowed or justified.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Snow covered roads would be about as good of an excuse as I can think of to boon dock any place you want!

I see no good reason to drive on snow covered roads, and I have only done so few times.
(Usually roads are clear and clean in a day or two).
Mel
'96 Safari, 145k miles
Old 12-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
If you boon-dock in a Walmart parking lot in a snow storm, be prepared for the contract snow plow to box you in with 4 foot high snow piles! He was having breakfast inside Walmart when I showed up and I heard him laughing at us with his buddies!
Now that is kinda funny, but it ain't right either!

Large, heavy vehicles do remarkably well in reduced traction conditions. I've seen big rigs do well where little cars just can't.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I drove a 18 wheeler in the snow. I've driven thru 2-3 foot drifts out in 75-80 thousand pounds went thru them like a knife thru butter Montana, Wyoming, Flagstaff, Az. all over the western states except Colorado we always went around it.
Best policy is to go smooth no sudden stops, turns. Go easy on lane changes also.
I usually had the night shift so traffic wasn't a huge factor. Go easy on lane changes to.
I just bought another Gallon of windshield fluid, I will add a shovel to the list.
Thanks for the heads up on the shovel
Merry Christmas,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
1BigMess - good drivers handbook for ice and snow conditions.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
1BigMess - good drivers handbook for ice and snow conditions.
Why, thank you for the compliment!

Like I said, folks are either gonna do it, or not, but if you're gonna try it, there is really only one way, and that is to jump in the deep end head first. Might as well have some good detailed advice based on experience (in my case, my successes and failures!).
Old 12-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #25

One more thing I forgot to mention. Get prepared for the unknown. Once the drivers side window froze in the closed position. We were at the tool booth on the West Virginia Turnpike on our way back from Winterplace Ski Resort and I just couldn't get the darn window to open! My better half had to "hop" out the door and run around the coach to pay the toll. She was still in her PJ's and house coat and had these bright orange bunny slippers on. Several truckers tooted their horns to show their appreciation for the show. She performed a curtsy and climbed back in laughing her head off. It made her day!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
One more thing I forgot to mention. Get prepared for the unknown. Once the drivers side window froze in the closed position. We were at the tool booth on the West Virginia Turnpike on our way back from Winterplace Ski Resort and I just couldn't get the darn window to open! My better half had to "hop" out the door and run around the coach to pay the toll. She was still in her PJ's and house coat and had these bright orange bunny slippers on. Several truckers tooted their horns to show their appreciation for the show. She performed a curtsy and climbed back in laughing her head off. It made her day!
I'm enjoying the mental image of this. I think I'll suggest my DW go shopping for PJs she's willing to hop out of the RV in!!!!!
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:14 AM   #27

Heading straight South to 10 is a good plan, IMHO. Watch the weather and go when there is a window.

Travelling 70 or 80 is risky in the Winter, especially 80. Several years ago during the Winter somewhere West of Laramie, WY we got into a blizzard. It was dark and with the snow visibility was very limited. We finally found a place to park and spent the night. The next morning we headed West again on a packed snow icy road with water on the surface. I ran in 4WD in order to get up the hills at about 40mph for about 100 miles before the road got better. In those miles we saw at least six 18 wheelers off the road in various positions and states of damage. Another time going East on 80 we spent a night and part of a day at Evanston,WY waiting for the road to open and finally headed South to 70 where we had no problem. IMHO, 70 and 80 through the mountains are not good places to be in the Winter, especially if you have a choice.

Just my 2c.

Best of luck with the trip.

Steve
Old 12-12-2015, 04:49 AM   #28

We got caught in a snowstorm last winter driving from MN to FL. I've lived in mn my whole life and consider my winter driving skills pretty good. We slowed down and left a lot of following distance, but the windshield wouldn't stay unfogged and when I felt the rig getting "loose" it was time to find a Walmart. In hindsight, I wish we would have parked before the snow started due to all the road salt on the undercarriage. If you must, just go slow. But you will probably make as good time if you pull off and wait a few hours for snow removal.

Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote