Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2015, 05:08 AM   #29

FYI. I-10 was closed a couple of times last Jan/Feb for snow and ice. We held over a couple of extra days in Texas Hill Country waiting for storm to pass over on our way to Scottsdale and the same coming back in Benson, AZ.

I know that is not normal and the natives (and winter natives) were howling about this is not supposed to happen in south Texas. The only problem we had were the 20 degree temps in the am. Hard to get the old body moving when you are not mentally ready for those temps in south Texas/Arizona.

Stay safe and enjoy the trip.
Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 07:04 AM   #30

Quote:
In hindsight, I wish we would have parked before the snow started due to all the road salt on the undercarriage.
FYI:
In a lot of states, the use of liquid calcium chloride is used to pre-treat roads days ahead of a storm. Rock salt either plain or mixed with sand/slag/cinders or other abrasives are used during the storm. (rock salt can be died a bright color for visible tracking by treating it with colored liquid calcium chloride). The liquid calcium chloride material usually stays on the road surface until it washes away by melting snow or rain fall. The use of Pre-Treat is gaining popularity because it gives highway departments the opportunity to get ahead of the storm and stay ahead by get all of the roads treated.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #31

In low traction situations remember to turn OFF your engine/exhaust brake if yours is the type that downshifts the transmission while it does its job. The sudden downshift will most likely make your drive wheels lose traction, and start to skate.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
In low traction situations remember to turn OFF your engine/exhaust brake if yours is the type that downshifts the transmission while it does its job. The sudden downshift will most likely make your drive wheels lose traction, and start to skate.
pasdad1

The use of either an exhust brake or a compression brake on slippery (wet/icy) roads is dangerous, (whether your transmission automatically downshifts with its operation or not).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
pasdad1

The use of either an exhust brake or a compression brake on slippery (wet/icy) roads is dangerous, (whether your transmission automatically downshifts with its operation or not).
Mel
'96 Safari
This makes a lot of sense, and I hadn't considered that. I take it the compression could cause drive wheels to possibly lock up?
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Be carefull.....

These folks were really enjoying their winter travels till........
I also drove truck in really bad winter conditions here in the NE........Glad thats over
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5743.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	113955   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5761.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	113956  

Name:	DSCF5697.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	113957  
Old 12-12-2015, 04:01 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well that's a way to ruin a nice day! Let's just hope and pray everyone was okay.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:45 AM   #36

"This makes a lot of sense, and I hadn't considered that. I take it the compression could cause drive wheels to possibly lock up?"

I think the point is that everything has to be done gently to avoid breaking traction. I don't think the wheels would actually lock up, but they could slow abruptly enough to loose traction and when traction goes so does control. Cruise control can do the same thing, but generally while trying to speed up.

Drive safe, and good luck.

Steve
Old 01-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Reporting Back In...

Everyone's advice was truly appreciated, but we dodged storms, ice, floods, and swarming Grandchildren in a 5,000-mile odyssey that included a blown tire, a rock to the windshield, 100-mile-an-hour winds, and a brown bear using one edge of the coach as a back scratch.

The high winds caused us to delay one leg of our California hops by a day (the news reported as many as twenty tractor-trailer rigs were overturned in the passes heading north out of Los Angeles). For those of us forced to winter in snow climates, the opportunity to spend an extra day in sunshine and (comparable) warmth is welcomed.

We drove on light snow only a couple of times...through Walker Pass south of the Sequoia National Park in California, and on Highway 40 east out of Albuquerque, NM. We took it slow and easy, and really never felt we were testing the limits even remotely. We did see a lot of spin outs around Albuquerque, but by the time we made our way through the area the state police were pacing cars along the route, so everyone's speeds were reduced to the point additional incidents were unlikely.

And, had the weather not cooperated, we were prepared to stay forever at the Sky Valley Resort in Dessert Hot Springs (shown in this picture). I even imagined the phone call I'd make to my boss.... "About the meeting, Monday...."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3369.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	115921  
Old 01-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Congratulations on a safe and successful trip. Nice to have options when we carry our house with us. Also nice to have a boss you can call and say "we are stopped by weather, will be in a soon as possible".
Old 01-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #39

Virtually all MH tires are highway tread, not all-season like autos and pickups normally run. Going is much different than stopping 30,000# on slick pavement.
Did you say you're going South to an interstate? I20 through Amarillo to Albuquerque gets lots of snow and bad driving conditions, sometimes the interstate is closed. Watch the weather closely with this website: One Stop Shop for Traveler Information It has up-to-date information with the ability to open webcams to view current road conditions.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote