Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #15

I've driven a mh north on 1 as far as Oregon, the approximate 100 mile section near Big Sur is very narrow very curvey and very beautiful, not a pleasant drive in a mh. Then when you get just north of San Francisco on 1 the road gets even more curvey , not a pleasant drive. I would second the suggestion take 101 and use the toad for seightseeing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Possible.... yes. Reasonable... well, that's subjective but it certainly isn't for me and I'm a California native. Just too tight for my tastes.

We love the Pacific coast but 101 is our preferred route and we use the toad to go to the beach.

If you do decide to try it... do it going north unless you have a divorce lawyer on retainer.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #17

This past year I spent over 3 months driving up 101 from it's start in north LA to Sequim, Washington. I have a 45' pulling an H2! Some narrow sections through the redwoods and in sections in Oregon, but an incredible journey. Hummer was used for side trips.

My plan was simple and without schedule other than I drive 100 miles north every Tuesday and stop. I know have a week to explore. Easy stress free (for the most part) days of 100 miles a week!
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:30 AM   #18

If there's one thing IRV2 is not short of it's Nervous Nellies. However, the only good judge of your fear factor is yourself. Thankfully, with modern technology, it's now possible to not only pre-drive the entire route, but also compare it to other "hairy" places you've been, all from the comfort of your easy chair.

Just zoom in on google earth and follow the route. Before you start, find the worst piece of road with the worst curve you've ever been on, and take a good look at that. Then just compare it to the turns on your anticipated route. Street view even works on the 1!

One thing about CA1, it's relatively flat - few big grades - nothing like 2-lane in the sierras or rockies. The problem with using a toad to explore, is that there are few roads going from 101 to 1, so a loop from 101, to the coast, up the coast, back to 101, and back to the starting point might be more than 200 miles. The roads that cross through make the turns on 1 look like child's play.

1 is narrow, extremely so in several areas, especially north of SFO, but if there's no oncoming just ride the center line and slow down. I've driven it in a Jetta, a Freestyle, and a K2500 crew-cab pulling a 28' toyhauler. I had no issues with the truck and trailer combination except fatigue - we drove from east of bakersfield to the coast and all the way to Monterey in one day, and past SFO the next. For the driver, no matter what you are driving there's little opportunity to gaze unless you frequently use the turnouts.

Going thru San Fran is a PITA, but the alternative is a long circle on lots of crowded super-slab. I might skip the 1 north of The golden gate until it intersects with the 101 north of Willits. That section is a challenge. From there north on the 101 to Fortuna it's still real curvy, but the curves are more sweeping.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #19

I have a 30' MH and also ride a motorcycle. I would never take a RV on the PCH unless it was a Class B. I have ridden it several times on my motorcycle and it is very easy to stop in the turnouts when traveling North to South. The driver of an RV will be stressed out and see nothing except pissed off motorists behind him. Just my opinion.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
don't do it on highway 1

my brother just did this trip driving from seattle down the coast 36ft with toad. 101 is fine but he kept going down the coast on hwy 1 and it was very stressful. driving on the cliff and the road was terrible. he made it to SF got messed up on the directions going over bridge and ended up in downtown SF. finally made it to bakersfield with broken sway bars and blown airbags. been there a week trying to get parts and repairs. over $5600 so far still not done.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
I drove it pulling a small trailer from San Francisco up to Portland. It was incredibly beautiful, the little I saw of it. I had a time constraint so if my daughter was going to see it, I decided to do it. If I ever have the opportunity, again, I'll do like a poster further up--101-stay for a week or so to explore the coast, they drive another 100 miles. If you are nervous or your passenger is nervous, you won't enjoy it.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Did it several times in a 38 ft Class a, towing a Liberty. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #23

How in the world does someone break sway bars and air bags?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
my brother just did this trip driving from seattle down the coast 36ft with toad. 101 is fine but he kept going down the coast on hwy 1 and it was very stressful. driving on the cliff and the road was terrible. he made it to SF got messed up on the directions going over bridge and ended up in downtown SF. finally made it to bakersfield with broken sway bars and blown airbags. been there a week trying to get parts and repairs. over $5600 so far still not done.
I saw a motor home at camp world Bakersfield last week that looked like it had a blown air bag. It was leaning so bad, it looked like it was going to fall over.

NO!, I would not drive my Motorhome on Hwy 1.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
How in the world does someone break sway bars and air bags?
could be over loaded rv( just started full timing), road in terrible condition. high center road much lower righthand side of road causing rv to lean to right putting more weight on airbag, huge pot holes, hairpin turns stressing rv. 2005 rv maybe the age also contributed?? he said the road just beat the heck out of rv. fear of driving off cliff was constant.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2020 View Post
I saw a motor home at camp world Bakersfield last week that looked like it had a blown air bag. It was leaning so bad, it looked like it was going to fall over.

NO!, I would not drive my Motorhome on Hwy 1.
that would be my brothers rv. he is still in bakerfield awaiting parts. is now living in motel.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #27

I drove behind a commercial passenger bus recently and it appeared to me that he had blown the left rear bag(s). It was really leaning to the left and it looked like he had a full load of passengers.

It appeared dangerous to me so I called 911 and reported it. Within 10 min a cruiser sped by me with his flashers on and the pulled the bus over.

I went on by the bus and was glad to see it off the road. It could have rolled over easily at an exit ramp.

Oh yes the bus was doing about 70mph when he passed me and I backed off.

Air bag failure is a big deal from my perspective.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #28

Easy enough to take Hwy 1 from Santa Barbara area up to Cambria area and San Simeon and then head east to Hwy 101 and continue up to Salinas and then go to Monterey and take Hwy 1 to Half Moon Bay and then head east to Hwy 280 and up to San Francisco and across the bridge.

Hwy 1 has some tight turns but nothing that a 30' or shorter MH would have any difficult negotiating. For a longer RV or pulling a trailer or toad I would avoid Big Sur and the Sonoma and Mendocino coastal areas, though in doing so you will be missing out on some of the most beautiful country in the world. Personally no amount of creature comforts would offset the limitations of a large RV and having to avoid some of the most scenic areas around on our travels. The reality is that you would know what you are missing. On the flip side is does reduce traffic and crowding in these areas.