Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2005, 03:40 AM   #1

I was Just thinking.......Joyce just cringes when I say that...anyway....We wont be leaving here until after xmas to go south...because I am not to eager to tow in or thru snow and ice, and where we live we WILL be snowed in and have to tow for at least a day to get away from it.l am considering towing my unit to a more southerly climate within the 2 next months...I was thinking of coming down thru Port Huron Mi and jumping on I-69...the goal is to get far enough south that I wont really have to worry too much about being snowed in... My ultimate goal is to get too Donna Texas area...How far south should I consider going to find a relativley safe storage area and an area that wont be a winter driving hazard experience... thx

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2005, 03:40 AM   #2

I was Just thinking.......Joyce just cringes when I say that...anyway....We wont be leaving here until after xmas to go south...because I am not to eager to tow in or thru snow and ice, and where we live we WILL be snowed in and have to tow for at least a day to get away from it.l am considering towing my unit to a more southerly climate within the 2 next months...I was thinking of coming down thru Port Huron Mi and jumping on I-69...the goal is to get far enough south that I wont really have to worry too much about being snowed in... My ultimate goal is to get too Donna Texas area...How far south should I consider going to find a relativley safe storage area and an area that wont be a winter driving hazard experience... thx

Old 09-19-2005, 05:44 AM   #3

Well Skip, thats a great idea, I'd never thought of before. Snow and ice for me, don't mix well with a 5er. Not sure how far you would go south. I have been in Kentucky( Carrolton)and Cinn. where there was no snow in Feb. Suppose It may depend on the individual year?

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:42 PM   #4

Your right it depends on the year. Last year we ran into snow and ice till south of Lexington Ky but by Jelico we were out of it. Usually by Walton at the Flying J we are out of the ice/snow it is just cold, like -14F one night. I'm not as familiar with I-69 but you may have to go as far south as Louisville.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:26 PM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Do you know if it's legal to store your trailer in the U.S. and return to Canada?

For those entering Canada from the U.S. (according to an old 2001 AAA Campbook that I have):

"You may not leave or store a car, trailer or other goods in Canada while you leave the country without either paying import duty and taxes or presenting the necessary permit to leave the items in Canada. This and any other required permits are issued by Canadian Customs officials at the point of entry. Vacation trailers may not be stored in Canada during the off season".

Is there a similar law for Canadians coming to the U.S.?

If you haven't done so already, I would check this out and see what (if anything) needs to be done to ensure there are no SNAFUs when passing through Customs.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:33 AM   #6

I have learned several things already........insurance may not be valid...now this...maybe I will wait and we will all stay together,,thanks....