Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Cool Driving the Mighty Mississippi

One trip on my bucket list as a retired full-timer is to drive the full length of the Mississippi River from Lake Itasca, MN to Venice, LA, but driving only about 2 hours a day, which I estimate would take about a month. Staying some days in RV parks, some days boondocking. Has anyone done that? Or would you do it?
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have driven some of it and want to do more. We live in Minnesoooota and of course have driven most of it in our state. Have also driven most of it between here and St Louis, but south of there, not yet. What I have seen is very scenic.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Start in NOLA about now and SLOWLY work your way North. By the time you get here it might be Spring.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #4

Check out Winnebago Industries Tours (WIT) ... they have done this tour several times ... I am sure that if you do some snooping you can find the sites they visit, places they stay, and more.

2016 Flyer for your info

I have not done this tour ... from where I live and the trips we take we have crossed the Mississippi at many of the sites that they visit ... from the start in Lake Itasca to New Orleans ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:20 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Not on my list but it does sound like a great idea. Like others I've done parts of it. Please let us know how that trip goes.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:19 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I will be posting my travels on a youtube channel line the Nomadic Fanatic does. This one will be a round trip from San Antonio, TX to upper Michigan, over to Minnesota and down to New Orleans. Search "RV Vagabond Jerry" on face book.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:06 AM   #7

This sounds like a great trip. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Great River Road. This is a route combined from state and local highways that adjoin the river. Many states have their own great river road websites, but here's an overall version: The Great River Road – The Best Drive in America - Experience Missisippi River

We have driven the northern GRR several times, and this is the most scenic. In some cases the GRR route is on both sides of the river. Things get pretty flat traveling from southern Missouri, but there are some hills to climb as you pass through the Iowa Alps (that's the real name). Thinking back, I remember eating on an outdoor deck of a nice restaurant in Red Wing, Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
One trip on my bucket list as a retired full-timer is to drive the full length of the Mississippi River from Lake Itasca, MN to Venice, LA, but driving only about 2 hours a day, which I estimate would take about a month. Staying some days in RV parks, some days boondocking. Has anyone done that? Or would you do it?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When near Memphis, stay at Tom Sawyer RV Park in West Memphis, Great views of the river
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
This sounds like a great trip. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Great River Road. This is a route combined from state and local highways that adjoin the river. Many states have their own great river road websites, but here's an overall version: The Great River Road – The Best Drive in America - Experience Missisippi River

We have driven the northern GRR several times, and this is the most scenic. In some cases the GRR route is on both sides of the river. Things get pretty flat traveling from southern Missouri, but there are some hills to climb as you pass through the Iowa Alps (that's the real name). Thinking back, I remember eating on an outdoor deck of a nice restaurant in Red Wing, Minnesota.
+1 on the GRR. I've lived in the La Crosse,WI area all my life and traveled that road from Northern IL to the Twin Cities area countless times. Very beautiful for sure. Wyalusing State Park just south of Prairie Du Chein is great for camping and hiking with wonderful views of the meeting of the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:36 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We have done part of the Great River Road, and the book referenced is good. There is also some other guidebooks available. I recommend doing a good Google search on resources. The books can really show you some great hidden locations. We lived close to the Mississippi for years, and we still found neat places through the books. The state tourist organizations will also provide information.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:43 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That really sounds like a good idea. I know there are some Civil War sites along there too.

We have talked about doing a cruise on the Mississippi but those are expensive. I think an RV trip would be the way to go.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #12

In the Spring of 2015 we drove the Great River Road from New Orleans to Minneapolis. Wonderful places along the way. Each state has Great River Road maps and touring info.
Great River Road | America's Byways
The Great River Road – The Best Drive in America - Experience Missisippi River
The side trip to the Natchez Trace is worth it too.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:38 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you for starting this thread and for the great comments. This trip has been a dream of ours for a few years and you have all bumped it up the priority list. Looking forward to more stories.
darcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:37 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
By the way, the Mississippi River starts at Nicolet Lake just south of the bottom of the west arm of Lake Itasca, but you cannot drive to it. The closest you can drive to is near the middle of Lake Itasca. There is an RV park there called Pine Ridge Campground.