Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wayne, Good luck on that trip, I wish I was going back up there. Beautiful coast we have.

Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 AM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'll take (DW will) pictures. If I see something that is just spectacular I'll post it for you.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:59 AM   #17
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
tomkat, we have also taken that ride on Hwy 1 from San Fran. south. Drove it once in a 33 mh and then again 6 years later in a 36'mh.We enjoyed it except for the traffic sometimes in back of us. I would pull off when ever I had a chance, but was still voted #1 when they passed.If you travel it I would recommend north bound, south bound your wife will definitely be grabbing all of her seat around the Big Sir area, I know because both times we drove it my wife was almost in my seat. It is a beautiful drive though, gotta do it at least once in your life.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #18

If you truly have not driven anything that big. I'd put some miles under my belt before attempting PCH. The further north the worst it gets.

sparky52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Left Petaluma today and made it to Chinook RV Park in Klamath, CA. I stayed on US-101 for the entire trip. Let's say that 101 has some twisty turnys that will get your attention. I don't think I'd like to do the PCH. US-101 and 1 merge and follow the coast for quite some way. At one point, near Garberville, CA, the big trees come very close to the side of the road. I was concerned that I was going to scratch my paint on some of the bark. US-101 is doable, and with some portions kind of rough, especially near large towns, the rest of the highway was fairly smooth with only a few exceptions. I'm happy I did not take the PCH (CA-1).

Here is just one item of US-101 to contend with:

It's where you check to see if your license plate is still on the TOAD.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Left Petaluma today and made it to Chinook RV Park in Klamath, CA. I stayed on US-101 for the entire trip. Let's say that 101 has some twisty turnys that will get your attention. I don't think I'd like to do the PCH. US-101 and 1 merge and follow the coast for quite some way. At one point, near Garberville, CA, the big trees come very close to the side of the road. I was concerned that I was going to scratch my paint on some of the bark. US-101 is doable, and with some portions kind of rough, especially near large towns, the rest of the highway was fairly smooth with only a few exceptions. I'm happy I did not take the PCH (CA-1).

Here is just one item of US-101 to contend with:

It's where you check to see if your license plate is still on the TOAD.
Ah yes - been thru that section many times, and remember it well - and the diagram and arrow on that roadsign is quite accurate, followed by a few more just like it!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:53 PM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Took a ride in the TOAD today to Crescent City. I had to get my brakes checked out. I guess I need not have worried. The drive from Klamath to Crescent City is straight up and straight down. Well, 7% was the worse of it, but it is a long climb and a long decent. When we leave here towing the TOAD we will be taking the same route. Ouch! I'm going to switch off of the coastal areas and head inland on 199 and the I-5N

Any recommendations or suggestions???
Old 05-30-2010, 06:46 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
We did that run last year, southbound from tacoma to the redwoods, all on the pch.
I was a newbie then and for sure learned exactly where the sides of my rig are.
That said, we survived, except for one tire and rim, and the scenery is amazing.