Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:29 AM   #1
Send a message via AIM to wingman139
Driving to Fort myers FL from Minnesota

Looking for a good route to take to Florida. And places to stay along the way?
Jim& Barb
40" 2006 Ellipse 350 Cat pusher
2009 Edge

wingman139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 07:52 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
How many days/miles per day are you planning to take to get there?

You can pick a area where you may stop at night and use RV Reviews to pick a campground.

Or I mostly use Passport America campgrounds in the area where I want to stop when traveling.

99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
Solo Rvers Club
Find your way to I90/I94. Take that to I39 south. I39 to I80 east if you can put up with some crazy traffic before you get on I65 or go further south to I74. I74 east to I65 south. I65 south to Montgomery and pick up Route 231 south to I10. Then I10 to I75 south.

Where to stay is hard to say. I start the driving day at 9:00, call ahead around noon, and stop driving around 3:00. Never had a problem finding a campground.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:23 AM   #4
A stop in Sikeston Mo might be on your way. Lamberts Cafe there (home of the throwed rolls). Two campground just east of Lamberts. Lamberts also allows you to stay overnight in their parking lot.

ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:53 PM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would avoid I-65 south out of Indy, the road is horrible and alot of construction and lane restrictions, I would stay on I-74 to Cincinnati and pick up I-75 and go south from there. We just came back from Hilton Head and I-75 is not bad. We stayed a couple nights at Cracker Barrels along the way, very nice people and no problems. We got in about 9:00 PM ea night and asked for the manager while we were eating dinner and let them know we were there. We called ahead of time to make sure there were no issues with staying the night.
Rick and Mimi
1989 Class C Fleetwood Tioga, 26 ft on an E350 Frame
Toad: 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Becareful, 65 was closed north of Indy with a bad bridge, not sure if it's open yet
Mike & Becky
2005 Gulfstream Crescendo 8356
Frutza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:00 AM   #7
Driving to Fort myers FL from Minnesota

Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Becareful, 65 was closed north of Indy with a bad bridge, not sure if it's open yet

It is not open. It's a real mess up there in the detour. Reports are that it will be open around 9-15

ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
That is such a great trip! I would suggest that you get your map out, and plot your way by going from destination to destination. You do not have to look far to find great stops along the way. You will find many Corps of Engineer & Lake side recreation areas that will be the highlight (s)of your trip.

Do not forget the Land between the Lakes,Natchez Trace, The Smokies,Jim Beam Distilleries, Mobile, Fairhope Ala, Eufala Ala, Just to name a few. Fla campgrounds in the panhandle are the best-all of them are great!

You can't miss with your trip-Have a ball !!

Deny is offline   Reply With Quote