Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2005, 06:39 PM   #1

We are planning on driving US 2 Westward from MN to Glacier National Park the first week of September. What experiences has anyone had with this Highway? What CG's along the route are recommended? This is great! No timetable, no reservations, daily mileage is as we desire, etc. I've already phoned East Glacier, located a RV park(6 spaces in back of a motel). The manager said the weather may be hot or a blizzard, at that time of year.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2005, 06:39 PM   #2

We are planning on driving US 2 Westward from MN to Glacier National Park the first week of September. What experiences has anyone had with this Highway? What CG's along the route are recommended? This is great! No timetable, no reservations, daily mileage is as we desire, etc. I've already phoned East Glacier, located a RV park(6 spaces in back of a motel). The manager said the weather may be hot or a blizzard, at that time of year.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 08-20-2005, 07:05 AM   #3

I've made this drive several times and the weater forecast for that time of year is right on. I have never been out there in Sept that I didn't get at least a little snow/ice. Well worth the trip!!!
Campgrounds are not as easy to find going this way, but a couple of things come to mind. There is a little campground right at the center of Devils Lake at the flashing light. Don't know the name, it's cheap and nothing but a place to stay but the cafe there is good. Also if your an Elk, about a quarter mile furhter is an Elks lodge. Minot has a brand new campground just as you come into town right beside a RV dealership, can't remember the name, but is is nice. If not, right out of Minot on the West side is another that is ok. Many good food places in Minot. Near Glasgow is Fort Peck Lake, several nice Corps of Engineer camgrounds at the lake, very quiet and scenic and a bit remote. Right in the center of Havre is a campground (right where you would not expect one) traffic is right beside you but is not intrusive. Always stop there because you can walk to most everything in Havre and it is a neat town. Look at underground Havre!! Plan on a lot of time in Glacier, it is spectacular!!! One morning in July, we had to wait until about noon to cross over to the other side because thay had ice/snow overnight and had to wait for the road to thaw. Try to cross over and do Waterton-Glacier International Park on the Canadian side it is great also. Have fun!!!!!
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:45 AM   #4

I drove out west on that highway last year. It is a good highway, traffic was light. Gas was readily available at little towns, but I rarely let may tank go much below 1/2 when travelling in unknown countryside. Campgrounds were fewer than on some roads but we had no problems finding one. At Minot, in N Dakota there are 2-3 CG. We stayed at the one on the west side of Minot, it was a very nice CG. There is also one at Havre, right down town, a different set up for a cg but it was okay, clean and full hookups. It is a nice trip.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:05 PM   #5

Thanks for the information guys. We're leaving next week for the "road less traveled". I think the Aussies call it a "walkabout". I'll carry a 5gal can of diesel just in case. After 21 years in Army Infantry(11B5MX) I don't like to walk these days.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:05 PM   #6

If you stop in Havre, MT at the rv park that is downtown, check the rates before you sign in. They charged me $50.00/per nite for a 50 AMP pullthru which amounted to parking alongside a curb. Place was clean and centrally located but that was a bit higher then I thought was right.

By the way, if you stop in Havre, make sure you go thru the underground and stop in the railroad museum. I just donated a bunch of pictures to them of the building of the Great Northern railroad thru Glacier National Park back in circa 1926. I was born and raised in Havre and my Grandfather was the station master for the GN RR for many years.
Jim Gehlen is offline   Reply With Quote