Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:40 AM   #1
Easiest Way Atlantic City to New Haven

Hi. We will be going from near Atlantic City NJ to New Haven CT in a 45 foot motorhome towing an SUV and want to avoid the worst roads and heaviest traffic. Goal: arrive stress-free, happy, and safe. Driving many extra miles to avoid heartburn not an issue.

Recommendations, opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Full timers Radioman, The Nagrivator, & Woofie the Poopless Watchdog

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
There is no easy way as you are driving in the belly of the beast as it is on the East Coast. I would take the NJ pike or the Garden State up to 287. Use 287 to get to 684 in New York State. Take 684 up to 84 to head east across CT to I91. Take 91 south into the New Haven area. Still not great but it will avoid the NYC mess. The only toll this way is the NJ pike or Garden State parkway and going over the Hudson if I recall. Whatever you do, stay off of the Merritt/Wilbur Cross parkways in CT unless you want a convertible motorhome.

DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I live north of Atlantic City and have made the trip up to Ct many times. Unfortunately there is no easy way to get this one done. It doesn’t matter how far out of the way you want to go you still are going to have to get on the highway to hell. I think the route given to you using I-287 is a good suggestion. The easiest way for you to get to I-287 is via the Garden State Parkway (GSP). I have traveled the GSP many times going north in both travel trailers and a motorhome. I think the road is smooth and well maintained. Some of the lanes do get narrow in spots. The biggest negatives are the tolls. There is a 7-mile stretch of low overpasses around mile marker 137. Stay in the center 2 lanes and you will be fine. These are arched overpasses and the right shoulder can go down somewhere near 10ft. You will hit traffic in the morning rush hour so I would plan your departure time carefully. If you leave late in the day you will hit the afternoon rush on I-684 and I-84. I have also done the NJ Turnpike George Washington Bridge I-95 all the way to New Haven. I would avoid this at all cost for one simple reason. The stretch of road from the GWB to the CT border is horrible. It has never been good. Throw into it the worst winter ever and it is one big pothole. I think some may even swallow a motorhome. I have traveled it twice in the last month. They are in the process of resurfacing it but all I have seen done is the top layer of blacktop has been scraped off. You are now traveling on one big rumble strip for miles and miles. It can get sporty since the lane markings were scraped up also. Not that anyone on this stretch of road every followed lane markings. I think you will do fine GSP to I-287 to I-684 via the Tappen Zee Bridge (there is a toll east bound). Sounds a lot worse then it really is. The key to your trip is departure time. If it does start to get stressful just do what everyone else does one hand on the horn the other out the window with the number one sign. Have fun!
2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38T

2008 Honda Pilot/Racked out with Old Town Kayaks
Slapshottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:37 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Slapshottr speaks wisely. I used to live on the "other" coast of New Jersey near AC, and made the trip to CT a bunch of times. Once, the locals in Bridgeport were kind enough to steal my Chevy Blazer. There is no "easy" way, short of round tripping through Buffalo and Montpelier. Stay off the Merritt, the Cross Bronx, and the GWB.
Always remember, you're a unique individual - just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...
JiminJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Thanks for all the good advice. Learned things we never would have known otherwise. And that's what makes this Forum so great. What a great resource!
Full timers Radioman, The Nagrivator, & Woofie the Poopless Watchdog

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote