Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #1

East Coast toll question

Planning a trip in 2018 from California to New England visiting many NE states as well as traveling through NY, PA, NJ. Understand they have gone to tolls with no toll gates. How do I handle tolls through all those states? Do I just wait a few months until I get home to receive a bill or must I do something specific with each of all those states?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We did a trip out to New England this year from Illinois. Illinois has I-Pass and then Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and the New England states use EZY Pass (not sure of spelling). They have reciprocating agreement with each other. Check on their website and get a transponder for your trip.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:26 PM   #3

We did same trip in 2014-got hit by the tolls a couple of times, we found cash lanes. But if I did again, I would opt for more non-toll roads, more scenic for sure.
BTW, we were pulling a TT at the time and got hit for '4 or more axles', same as big rigs. Towing with the TT, car and all, we're at about 8k# total. Big rigs haul 10x that weight (gross) and cause proportionally more wear on the roadways, but we pay the same toll. "Lucy, You got some 'splainin' to do...."
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
In NJ the toll roads, NJ turnpike & The Garden State Parkway, have drive thru EZ-Pass toll plazas, but they also have cash only booths where you can pay with cash.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
We did same trip in 2014-got hit by the tolls a couple of times, we found cash lanes. But if I did again, I would opt for more non-toll roads, more scenic for sure.

BTW, we were pulling a TT at the time and got hit for '4 or more axles', same as big rigs. Towing with the TT, car and all, we're at about 8k# total. Big rigs haul 10x that weight (gross) and cause proportionally more wear on the roadways, but we pay the same toll. "Lucy, You got some 'splainin' to do...."

Here in Illinois we register the transponder to our RV license plate and our toad plate, so it only charges appropriate number of axles depending on the license plate it registers.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #6

I like the option on GPS of avoid toll roads....get to see stuff a whole lot more.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can't reroute to bypass the tolls, highly recommended consider some can be very high, an EZ-Pass for the coach will work. You don't need one for the toad unless you plan to drive it separately. If you do get a second transponder ensure it is removed from the toad and wrapped in foil other wise you'll end up paying twice.

Pay by plate may cost you more due to the additional administrative action required. Cost will vary by state and even by the road the toll is on.

As a starting place for EZ Pass info - E-ZPass Group - Home
Old 12-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #8

If you hit one of the “boothless” lanes without a valid EZ-Pass your plate will be photographed and you will get a bill.
sfergie631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #9

We did the New England trip this summer. We ordered a Easy pass transponder from NY since they have one for motor home and toad. You will need to send them a copy of regstration and form you can down load from their web site. We also got one for toad that you put in bag when towing so it will not count when going thru toll booths. They offer special rates for motor home and toad combination. Skip
Old 12-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #10

we've never purchased any 'toll pass' or 'devices' in all our extensive travels - we use either the cash lane, or we 'eventually' receive a bill IF there is a reciprocal agreement with our state - sometimes there is none and you pay nothing.

one enjoyment I've found recently is the USPS postal service online service called 'INFORMED DELIVERY' where they send you an email each morning showing you the mail you are to receive today(a pic of the front of the envelope). This is nice since you can now see what mail you have without even having to be anywhere near your home or post office, or have it forwarded!

In September I received an email from the post office with a TOLL FEE envelope from Colorado, as we had drove around Denver in late July. Just knowing that they sent me a 'bill' was enough to prompt me to go to their website, input my state and tag number, and 'Voila!', there was my $3.72 bill to pay! easy.

and nice.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:26 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Those who say they don't use toll roads are in for a very long slow drive if they are going from, say Richmond to Maine or Chicago to Rhode Island. The non-toll roads in many of these areas are choked with traffic, stoplights, and other time wasters. It is hardly practical to avoid all toll roads in the Northeast.

Definitely get an EZ-Pass as it will save both time and money. Many if not all toll facilities charge less money if you have a transponder than if you pay cash or get a mailed bill via your license plate. Also in many places there are lines at the toll gates. Usually there are much longer lines at the cash booths versus the EZPass booths. In many places you don't even have to slow down with EZPass as your transponder is read automatically as you pass by at highway speed.

EZPass is honored in 16 states (Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia,West Virginia, North Carolina and Kentucky) and you can get your EZpass from any of these states and use it in all of them. (Florida is not included in EZPass and uses Sunpass, which is only valid in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina).

So definitely get EZPass and/or SunPass, depending on where your travels are taking you. I have them both.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:30 PM   #12

We purchased the EZ Pass from MA for our travels from CA back through the North East. No monthly account charge, no transponder charge. Managed by website. They provided three transponders: motorhome alone, motorhome towing Jeep, and Jeep alone. We just made sure that the correct transponder was "visible" and the others were wrapped in foil and stowed. This worked perfectly for us. In NY and few other locations, when not on the major roads, I had quite a bit of concern for the clearance of railroad underpasses (for good reason).
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Those who say they don't use toll roads are in for a very long slow drive if they are going from, say Richmond to Maine or Chicago to Rhode Island. The non-toll roads in many of these areas are choked with traffic, stoplights, and other time wasters. It is hardly practical to avoid all toll roads in the Northeast.

Definitely get an EZ-Pass as it will save both time and money. Many if not all toll facilities charge less money if you have a transponder than if you pay cash or get a mailed bill via your license plate. Also in many places there are lines at the toll gates. Usually there are much longer lines at the cash booths versus the EZPass booths. In many places you don't even have to slow down with EZPass as your transponder is read automatically as you pass by at highway speed.

EZPass is honored in 16 states (Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia,West Virginia, North Carolina and Kentucky) and you can get your EZpass from any of these states and use it in all of them. (Florida is not included in EZPass and uses Sunpass, which is only valid in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina).

So definitely get EZPass and/or SunPass, depending on where your travels are taking you. I have them both.

I agree with Marc that the EZ Pass is a time and money saver. NY does not charge for an EZ Pass. You will give them a credit card number and they will just charge the card as you use the tolls. You have a choice of either a per use charge or a reimbursement amount like $20. They charge you the flat amount and then charge against it. Once that is used up they put out another charge. Pretty simple and in NYS you save 10% on the tolls. Well worth the effort to get the pass and use it.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #14

EZ Pass in NY

I live in Niagara Falls,NY. If you go over the Grand Island bride on your way to Niagara Falls you can use EZ pass. Shortly they are removing some toll collectors. Then they will snap a picture of your license plate and send you a bill. Their is a charge to send you this bill. I would do as other have said and apply for an EZ pass. The EZ pass lanes have you slow dow to either 20MPH or 5MPH. If you go through a cash lane they will be able to activate your EZ pass. It is tricky. Five lanes at the toll boths and then merging into two lanes. The toll roads are pretty smooth because of all the $ they get from the toll payers.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast