Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 11:13 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
East Coast trip? or the Great Unknown

Am I going to be a parker or a driver? It looks like I need to do more research. I have been to 23 states, and 18 National Parks so far, and will be retiring within the next 12 months. My question to the forum is whether the stories I've heard about small, over crowded and over booked RV parks/campgrounds/attractions in the east is accurate or false.
I have grown up in the west, but wonder about bringing a 34 foot Class A into a location where I am totally unfamiliar. That area would be on a diagonal line, about 52 degrees, running northwest from Jacksonville Fla. to Joplin Mo, then toward the eastern border of Montana/North Dakota/Canada.
Not so concerned about less populated areas.
What about Chicago?
I understand about avoiding the big cities, but would like to hear the collective wisdom about pre-planning, and a general consensus of where to stay out of (besides New York City)
Any truth to the rumor that the east coast highways are smaller than out west?So if I park, and use the toad, I see some advantage.
Thank you for any positive or negative opinions or insults..
Jim
Railhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 06:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I live in TN but my family lives in Northern Wisconsin. I use to drive through Chicago annually on vacation. In my opinion it has gotten much worse with general road conditions deteriorating noticeably. About 6 years ago I drove my coach through Chicago without many delays but it's still a white knuckle experience, narrower roads, merging traffic etc. About 4 years ago I drove back through Chicago with my Jeep, it took ~2 hours longer due to traffic delays and I was trying to make time.

We've also driven through other larger cities, Atlanta can be bad depending on time of day and although there are bypasses it's a crap shoot as to where the delays will be.

As much as possible we try to avoid larger cities but because of the interstate systems that usually go straight through these cities. We've drive most of the Eastern States, some in them in an RV.

I would find the DOT website for each of the states you will be driving through and find the page that has construction and road delays and try to avoid these areas.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:10 AM   #3

I don't believe you will have any more issues in the East than you have in the West. Yes I would advise you to use the bypasses around the larger cities but the roads are the same width as they are out West. We just have a few more people. You can enjoy everything from the Maine coast to the Florida Keys with your coach and toad. Enjoy!!
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:27 AM   #4

Don't be too worried about the "East", there are many attractions and locations worth your visit. We rarely make campground reservations unless near a major city, attraction, holiday, or someplace we just must be near. Since we usually tow a car trailer, a same day call is good to see if a longer pull through site is available. We occasionally need to pass by Chicago from KY, and have found the extra distance from using Interstate #39 is well worth eliminating the traffic and endless toll booths on the Tri-State toll road through Chicago. Also, checking on different States DOT websites is highly recommended.

One issue we see driving further East, especially Northeast, is that many areas are more heavily wooded and it's not as easy to see the "Interstate Cities" for fuel or other stops. I know that some use a stopping guide, but we haven't reached that stage yet.

And, as you explore, unless you want to practice your backing skills, don't go anywhere unless you can see an exit path (ask me how I know..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I live in TN but my family lives in Northern Wisconsin. I use to drive through Chicago annually on vacation. In my opinion it has gotten much worse with general road conditions deteriorating noticeably. About 6 years ago I drove my coach through Chicago without many delays but it's still a white knuckle experience, narrower roads, merging traffic etc. About 4 years ago I drove back through Chicago with my Jeep, it took ~2 hours longer due to traffic delays and I was trying to make time.

We've also driven through other larger cities, Atlanta can be bad depending on time of day and although there are bypasses it's a crap shoot as to where the delays will be.

As much as possible we try to avoid larger cities but because of the interstate systems that usually go straight through these cities. We've drive most of the Eastern States, some in them in an RV.

I would find the DOT website for each of the states you will be driving through and find the page that has construction and road delays and try to avoid these areas.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #5

Avoid Chicago at all costs. Heavy traffic, construction, poor condition roads and tolls.

Other than that no problems just more traffic than in much of the west except LA. Many of the parks tend to be older and smaller with 30 Amp service. As you have a smaller MH, 34', that may not be as much of a problem. I have been all over the east with my 43' and with a little planning have not had any issues.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote