Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #1

Eastern Long Island NY from West Central Pa.

My friend has found his 1st trailer. It is a Horse Trailer with living quarters. Probably the reason it was priced like it was, was location. Who wants to go to the far east end of Long Island (Calverton) to pick it up. I told him I would help him navigate and drive.

He has a 2011 Ram Dually with a hauler bed. Any advice on getting around New York city? Best times of day/night? On the way back we will be towing the trailer.

We will be taking I80 across Pa.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #2

Eastern L.I.

I go to Riverhead very often on Sunday. Be on the George Washington Bridge about 7am and you should not have any problems. I always tune in to AM 880 and 1010 for the traffic reports every 10 min. Don't spend a lot of time getting back from L.I. and cross the GWB as soon as possible. Good Luck.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #3

I forgot to mention we need to be there on a business day to take title work to the DMV.

Plan # 1. - this Friday drive thru NY city area around 3:00am. Wait until DMV opens at 8:30am. Do paper work on the trailer, then head back from Long Island by 11:00am Friday.

How bad will it be towing a 37' trailer say around noon on Friday?

Plan# 2. - this Friday drive thru NY city area around 3:00am. Do paper work at DMV. Then stay on Long Island until Saturday morning.

How bad will it be towing a 37' trailer say around 8:00am Saturday morning?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
My wife's relatives live on 'Lon-Guy-land' and it is a crap shoot regarding traffic. Your Saturday morning option will have less of a chance of traffic.

Don't forget:
- lower level of the GW seems to have less traffic especially if you have EZ Pass.
- HOWEVER, you need to take the upper level of the GW bridge if you have propane on the trailer coming back
- Stay OFF the 'parkways' in NYC and stay on the 'Expressways'. The parkways are cars only and have low underpasses.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
This is all good advice. If you can avoid travel on Friday afternoon, do it. Friday afternoons are a mass exodus out of the city. Early Saturday morning departure is a good idea. If you can be across the GWB before 8 AM you can avoid a lot of traffic. On the Cross Bronx Expy all it takes is for one driver to screw up and you can wind up sitting still forever. It happens and it usually happens very quickly. Keep in mind the the traffic reports on 880 WCBS on the 8s and 1010 WINS on the 10s usually have about a 20 minute lag to the actual events.

If you want to avoid the city all together you can take I-80 east as far as I-287. I-287 north all the way through Westchester County NY to I-95 south. I-95 south to I-695 south to I-278 east over the Throggs Neck Bridge to I-495, the LIE. This way is about 35 miles longer but the tolls are cheaper and the odds of getting caught in a ton of traffic work much more in your favor. Many truck and bus drivers prefer this route for all of the reasons stated above. When I was still working I was one of them. I ran it every day for over 20 years. Yeah, I was nuts!

P.S. Check the Yankees and Mets game schedules before you leave. Getting caught in game traffic can be absolutely brutal. Remember that game traffic affects not only NYC but also everything within a 50-100 mile radius.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. I will post back on how things went. This will be an exciting trip for sure.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #7

I wouldn't even try on a Friday. You have to be mad at yourself to attempt it
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #8

What if we can leave Long Island by 11:00am? Is it still a bad idea?
Old 04-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I think I'd go with your Plan #2. Get through NYC in the wee hours of Friday morning. Get well out onto Long Island and find a nice place for breakfast. Relax a bit, take care of business.

If you insist on leaving LI on Friday at any time, I think I'd go with the alternate route that I laid out in my earlier post. Anything else and you are just asking to sit in traffic. Where the Bruckner Expy (I-278), Cross Bronx Expy (I-95) Hutchinson River Pkwy/Expy (I678) all merge together can create traffic backups you've only heard about. If it were me and I didn't know my way around the city, I'd opt for leaving early Saturday morning before the sun comes up.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Also a Ferry service from the end of the Island. After we were finished working the hurricane recovery in December I was able to put my 25' Pole Setting truck with a 20' trailer on the ferry from Port Jefferson to Bridgeport for $125. Might be able to find one going to NJ.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcgin View Post
Also a Ferry service from the end of the Island. After we were finished working the hurricane recovery in December I was able to put my 25' Pole Setting truck with a 20' trailer on the ferry from Port Jefferson to Bridgeport for $125. Might be able to find one going to NJ.
There are no ferries to NJ. One goes to Bridgeport from Pt Jeff. The other to New London from Orient Point.

The roads on Long Island are almost never deserted. Even at 3 in the morning there will be more cars and trucks than you see midday anywhere else. I always wonder where all these people are going.

Best plan would be to stay on the Island overnight, get up early Saturday morning and get out of town before the place wakes up.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:50 AM   #12

Update - well we are now back. Here is what happened. We decided to leave.Thursday at 7:45pm. Got to Calverton at 2:30am 375 miles. Going across the GW was not fun. The roads were a mess and the toll was nose bleed $30 to cross with a dually. I think this was an arbitrary amout as the toll attendant seemed to make up that number...ugh. Out of state plates did not help. We crossed that pock marred bridge with lots of other traffic zooming around us. Again this road is marred with all kinds of rough concrete. Then onto the Throgs Neck Bridge. Agian the concrete was rough. But whew, now we were on the LI Expressway. This was the best road of the trip. GPS saved our bacon about 6 times.

Return Trip - after getting paper work notorized, DMV temp plates, horse trailer with living quarters checked out, lights working it was 11:45am when we pulled out Friday morning. Ugh - almost the dreaded noon. Ok - so I mentioned the 'Horse' part of Horse Trailer. Well as I knew it would turn out no way would we stay. Horse people need to get back to their horses ASAP.

So we hit traffic at 1:00pm 4 miles east of the GW Bridge towing the 35' horse trailer.
It was stop and go for 40 minutes but this was a blessing as in stop and go traffic you do not even notice the rough concrete. We made it across the Throgs Neck without much delay.

We made it back in 24 hours. 750 miles. The 2011 Ram with a 50 diesel tank made towing easy. (There were no horses in the trailer).
Old 05-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Glad to hear you had a relatively uneventful trip and it didn't turn into a nightmarish adventure. I didn't think to warn you about the tolls on the GWB or the Throggs Neck. Fortunately you only had to pay it going east (without the trailer) on the GWB. In the old days when they collected both ways (many years ago) you would have paid for 6 wheels going east and then 6 wheels plus however many wheels your new trailer had. But I'm sure you learned that when you came back across the Throggs Neck with the trailer.