RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2019, 07:33 AM   #1

Easy route from Sedona to Zion / 34’ MH towing / Suggestions?

I didn’t study the specific routes very carefully when planning our trip and and am now trying to figure out which is the best route to take. And, should I try to add a stop between Sedona and Zion (Springdale)

My current plan is:
- Backtrack from Sedona to I17 on 179
- I17 to 89 all the way to Kanab
- 89A south to Fredonia
- 389 to Utah 59 to Hurricane
- 9 to Springdale

I came up with his route after reading various posts on this and other forums and had to trick TripWizard to route it. It is about 350 miles...more than I would prefer driving.

My questions are:
- Is there a shorter route that is equally easy to drive?
- Is there maybe a slightly longer route that provides a decent stopover?

Thanks

BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyII View Post

My current plan is:
- Backtrack from Sedona to I17 on 179
- I17 to 89 all the way to Kanab
- 89A south to Fredonia
- 389 to Utah 59 to Hurricane
- 9 to Springdale

I came up with his route after reading various posts on this
You might have read one of my posts on the above recommendation. It's the easiest way to go. Stop for the night in Page, AZ. Wahweap campground - Glen Canyon Nat'l Rec Area is nice if you want hookups. It's on Lake Powell. If dry camping is o.k. (remember, it will be hot there) then drive a little farther on 89 & on the right you'll see a sign for Lone Pine boondocking camping which is also a part of Glen Canyon. We always stay just beyond the entrance station & on the left is a nice flat large area overlooking Lake Powell. Driving a big rig down below on the sandy beach can be done but you need to know what you're doing when in sandy areas. For one night - stay on the top.

I didn't look at mileage right now but a little shorter would be picking up 89A before Page taking you to Jacob Lake (no lake by the way) & on to Fredonia. You'll have a steep uphill to Jacob Lake then a steep descent to Fredonia - around 6%. We've done this route and it's very doable with an RV and it's very pretty and you'll finally be COOL up there. When you get to Jacob Lake area after the climb you'll see a lot of forest service roads and it's a nice spot to boondock for a night. You could also work in the North Rim of the Grand Canyon from Jacob Lake. There's a campground in the park and there's also a very pretty campground just before the park gate - DeMotte national forest campground. If that is full then drive about 1/4 mi. toward the national park & take the first gravel road on the right. Drive back about 1/2-1 miles (flat, excellent road) and you'll find some nice boondocking spots to tuck in for a night or two while exploring the Canyon.

Both 89 & 89A are good drives but 89 through Page is easier.

Don't be tempted to take 89A out of Sedona up to I-40. It's narrow and a steep uphill with lots of day traffic.

Temperatures: Sedona will be hot; Flagstaff cool; Page hot; Jacob Lake cool; Zion hot (It's all about elevation)

If you're hungry for lunch after driving through Flagstaff & on the way north, there's Cameron Trading Post on the left that has awesome Navajo tacos... and a large menu.... and a beautiful gift shop with quality things.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #3

i would also recommend wahweap at page, az. easy one night layover.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #4

Thanks TwoGypsies & BigChick for the information...
Old 07-04-2019, 10:26 PM   #5

The boondocking spot on Lake Powell should read 'Lone Rock'. Lone Pine is a great area in California.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the help...we secured a 1 night site at Wahweap Campground on/near Lake Powell. We’ll stay there after leaving Sedona on our way to Zion.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #7

enjoy!!!! nice drives! lots of open country. don't know when you are leaving but the weather has been very nice and is expected to stay the same for the next several days.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
enjoy!!!! nice drives! lots of open country. don't know when you are leaving but the weather has been very nice and is expected to stay the same for the next several days.
Thanks BC...we leave Phoenix (VERY HOT) Saturday July 6 for Sedona (2 nights) then on to Lake Powell Monday for 1 night before heading to Zion Tuesday for 3 nights. Looking forward to some cooler weather!
Old 07-06-2019, 07:28 AM   #9

perhaps 'less hot' weather! i wouldn't use the word 'cool' other than to describe the scenery. from what i have seen the weather through monday is expected to be 'less hot'. it should be great in sedona.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #10

This last April, we also stayed at Wahweap on the way to Zion from Sedona. However, after Sedona, we first spent 3 nights at the Grand Canyon and then headed to Wahweap, then Zion. It was a fabulous trip!

LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, tow, towing