Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As you travel more in the west the Cajon Pass will become a very average grade. There are many that are worse than it is. At least with the Cajon Pass you have a long view of what is up ahead.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
^^^ That's a fact. Unless it happens right in front of you, you'll see it a long ways off, and you'll have plenty of time to plan for it, unless you are as distracted as many other drivers seem to be these days.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #17

I’ve driven Cajon Pass twice. The first time was in 1969 at about midnight driving a little Triumph TR3 sports car. I was dead tired from a straight through drive that began in Illinois on Route 66 and I can still feel those huge semi’s whizzing by me at 80-90mph! At the grades bottom there was one brake shop after another all the way into Grapevine. The second time was in my 1994 33’ 460 V8 powered Holiday Rambler in 2014, it wasn’t too bad! Like folks have said it’s the other drivers you have to worry about. BTW there are two escape lanes heading north, if you do lose your brakes in an emergency you can exit onto one of them, though I wouldn’t want to.
Steve
Old 02-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #18

Folks in the High Desert call it going down below. Folks in Needles and along the River call it going inside.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
Iíve driven Cajon Pass twice. The first time was in 1969 at about midnight driving a little Triumph TR3 sports car. I was dead tired from a straight through drive that began in Illinois on Route 66 and I can still feel those huge semiís whizzing by me at 80-90mph! At the grades bottom there was one brake shop after another all the way into Grapevine. The second time was in my 1994 33í 460 V8 powered Holiday Rambler in 2014, it wasnít too bad! Like folks have said itís the other drivers you have to worry about. BTW there are two escape lanes heading north, if you do lose your brakes in an emergency you can exit onto one of them, though I wouldnít want to.
Steve
Think you have memory confusion

Cajon Pass...I-15 High Desert

Grapevine....I-5 Gorman
Old 02-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #20

I've also travelled that pass several times in both directions. Heading south in places the downgrade seems gentle and it is very easy to pick up speed and go faster down that grade than you intend.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:30 PM   #21

the pass is not to bad its the mess at the bottom you need to worry about.
if you have never driven in the L.A. traffic you are in for a real treat. know where your going and the exits you want.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
the pass is not to bad its the mess at the bottom you need to worry about.
if you have never driven in the L.A. traffic you are in for a real treat. know where your going and the exits you want.
Not being an experienced big-rig driver when I drove through the LA area I pulled into a rest stop about 50 miles east of LA at 7pm Saturday night slept 6 hours and then drove through LA at 2am Sunday morning. It made for a much less stressful drive. It was such a good experience I did the same thing later in the year when my travels took me through Dallas . When you're retired it's not like you have to be anywhere in a hurry.

Steve
Old 02-24-2016, 07:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Think you have memory confusion

Cajon Pass...I-15 High Desert

Grapevine....I-5 Gorman
Hey Old-Biscuit, you're right of course. I stand corrected, it was Tejon Pass on I-5 not Cajon Pass. Thank you.

Steve
Old 02-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #24

I drive this very often. I live 5 miles north of I-10 on the mountain (San Gorgonio Pass).

Cajon Pass is BAD uphill (I-15 North) for gassers. I did it few times in a Bounder (screaming in the 2nd!) doing barely 25mph. If I came up on the loaded semi, I was DONE. It seems like eternity to get up to Hesperia.

Going down is no big deal (except for crazies mentioned above). In the right gear, you won't cook the brakes.

Cajon Pass was one of the factors I got rid of the gasser, and went with DP (now I do the pass at 65 or faster).

But I wanted to mention something else for the people that are struggling with going up,........if traveling North (to Vegas and beyond), there is a better route for the gasser. It's HWY 62 North (off of I-10) from Palm Springs (right by the windmills). Going up is still a chore, up to Yucca Valley, but WAY less traffic, and very few trucks (to make you lose momentum). Once in Yucca, you proceed to Twentynine Palms (all flat), and from there to Amboy and Kelso. From Twentynine Palms to I-10 the traffic is almost nonexistent.

In Amboy you hang RIGHT (the ONLY way to get under I-40) to Kelso. In Kelso you take Cima Road (VERY pretty scenery, and plenty of room to pull over and walk the dogs, have breakfast, or whatever), which takes you to I-15 (all flat). Once you are on I-15, it's all DOWNHILL to Vegas.

If I'm driving the car to Vegas, I take I-10 to 210 to 15. With the gasser I used to go through Twentynine Palms.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #25

The thing to remember when going down hills, the faster you're going the more you'll gain speed. The physics make it sort of a positive feedback circuit. So, slow down and then downshift as much as necessary so that you don't gain speed. The brakes should be used firmly to reduce speed (and then released to cool), not lightly to maintain speed. Even the worst expressways have limits on their average grade and are no problem if driven properly.

For my truck and trailer, 2nd gear will never exceed 55mph going downhill on a 6% grade as long as I start at less than 55mph. If I downshifted at 60mph, it would gain speed in 2nd (which redlines at about 75mph). I've been on some secondary roads that required going downhill in 1st gear at 30mph, but that's usually over a short distance. The key is never be afraid to go slower.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
The physics make it sort of a positive feedback circuit.
Interesting! What's the formula, and does it account for wind resistance increasing with speed also?

I can't wait to play around with the numbers! (Yeah, some folks are weird this way )
Old 02-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #27

Downshift before starting down - not in the middle of the ride.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
I try to avoid that pass in the MH, but then I'm heading to San Fernando so the 58 works or the Pearblossom Highway. The steep climb and down grade are not really the problem. The climb is ok, the long down grade just means you should really watch your speed, keeping it within a comfortable controllable range. I find the possible crosswinds to be a big concern. As the pass opens in places you can be hit by a sudden gust that can push you out of your lane, or it can push a big rig over or out of the lane. So just travel that area with care, and keep proactive about speed and who is next to you.
Since I live in the San Fernando Valley, taking I-210 from there to go through the Cajon Pass is "the long way around the barn" for me. I also take the Pearblossom Highway and the Victorville Road (from Hwy. 14) from the Valley to get to I-15 in Victorville. It is a nice ride with plenty to see in the small burgs along the way.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote