Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #1

Elk Creek Tunnel Oregon

I was considering taking Route OR38 from Reedsport on the Oregon Coast out to I-5 to head north,but I see that the Elk Creek Tunnel only has a clearance of 12ft.3" and I am driving a 2013 Dutch Star with a height of 12ft 10",obviously not going to fit. Anyone actually been thru there in a similar Class A? Obviously not a truck route?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Knowing height limits on and off the road (fuel station aprons) is important in travels so to plan detours and avoid problems. Those that need a source for identifying low bridges and tunnels, visit: America's Independent Truckers' Association: Information Pick a state and click on Low Clearance/Bridge Heights.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:48 PM   #3
laj

you got bad info somewhere. trucks run it all the time, no problem. its a major rd. to the coast.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:51 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
http://goo.gl/maps/HT0qP
Google Maps Street view of the tunnel.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:28 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
you got bad info somewhere. trucks run it all the time, no problem. its a major rd. to the coast.
Agree, AITA does not identify OR 38 as having a height restriction. America's Independent Truckers' Association: Information
Old 01-28-2015, 11:35 PM   #6

Here is the link to the information of 12ft 3".The truckers site doesn't show mit as a low clearance tunnel,so what does one believe?? Thanks

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/REGIO..._of_Oregon.pdf
Old 01-28-2015, 11:49 PM   #7

I went through that tunnel 2 years ago with a Cameo 5th wheel 13'3 at the AC units. The tunnel is marked 12'3 on the outer edges which is actually the shoulder. I believe the top of the tunnel was marked 13'8 if I remember correctly. just stay away from the shoulder and keep it in the lane. It did raise the hair on the back of my neck
Old 01-29-2015, 12:11 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
The tunnel is marked 12'3 on the outer edges which is actually the shoulder. I believe the top of the tunnel was marked 13'8 if I remember correctly.
Many tunnels in Oregon are marked like this.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:36 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just drove that route in Oct. last year and I turned south on 99 at Drain and I'm at 12'1" and had no problems. That is is beautiful drive. My neighbors rig is the same height and they turned and went south on 138 at Elkton and had no problem either. The Oregon coast is our home from June till Oct each year and I plan on going that way back to the coast this year on my way to Lincoln City.
Happy Motorhoming!!!

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote