Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Moving a post here from someone leaving the Newmar Rally in Essex Junction and headed to PA...

Digital Boy
"Senior Member"
Picture of Digital Boy

Posted July 02, 2006 10:46 AM
After the rally we'll be headed to Harrisburg, PA on our way to Florida. At first I thought I'd leave Essex Junction heading south on Route 7 to Route 4 west to I-87 at Glen Falls, NY.

The other day, however, I met someone from Vermont who suggested I go north from Essex Junction on Route 2 or I-89, cross the lake just below Quebec and pick up I-87 south from there.

Does anyone have an opinion on which route to take?

Lew
Anywhere, USA - Finally Fulltimers! - '98 Newmar Dutch Star DP, 38'. With Sima (riding shotgun) plus Cappy & Annie the Wonder Mutts!

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2006, 08:00 AM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

Moving a post here from someone leaving the Newmar Rally in Essex Junction and headed to PA...

Digital Boy
"Senior Member"
Picture of Digital Boy

Posted July 02, 2006 10:46 AM
After the rally we'll be headed to Harrisburg, PA on our way to Florida. At first I thought I'd leave Essex Junction heading south on Route 7 to Route 4 west to I-87 at Glen Falls, NY.

The other day, however, I met someone from Vermont who suggested I go north from Essex Junction on Route 2 or I-89, cross the lake just below Quebec and pick up I-87 south from there.

Does anyone have an opinion on which route to take?

Lew
Anywhere, USA - Finally Fulltimers! - '98 Newmar Dutch Star DP, 38'. With Sima (riding shotgun) plus Cappy & Annie the Wonder Mutts!

Old 07-03-2006, 04:13 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Twenty six members have viewed this,was hoping someone would at least have an opinion they could offer this member....

Old 07-03-2006, 04:25 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Sorry, I didnt see this post earlier. I wouldn't go down 7 to 4 from Essex. I would go down 7 to 22A to 4 then in Fort Ann, NY 149 to Lake George where you pick up I87. Depends on what type of driving you want to do. If you go across 2 to I 87, it's probably longer but you might get more interstate driving. If you go down 22A, it's more local 2 land roads. Google maps says this is 465 miles, 9 1/2 hours. Google maps says going north on 2 to I87 is 525 mile and 10 hours.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:44 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

THANKS Lynn!!
Old 07-03-2006, 05:36 AM   #6

LynnVT,

Thanks for the input. Anyone else with an opinion?

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #7

I agree with Lynnvt. Route 22A is the way to go as it is a very good road through rolling farm country with grad views. When you leave the rally you want to get to route 7 south as you had planned. In Verginnes, route 22A will branch off to the right and will take you south to route 4 in Fair Haven. If you need fuel, there are a couple of decent truck stops just south the the route 22A/Route 4 intersection. Follow route 4 west to Fort Ann and NY 149 to Lake George and I 87 South as Lynnvt noted. If you don't get to the Shelburne Museum while at the rally, you will go right by it in Shelburne while on route 7 and it is a very worthwhile stop. Enjoy.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

WELCOME TomVT to iRV2 and THANKS for your first post!!

Glad to have you on board and hope you'll surf around and offer your help in some of the other forums as well...

On the main irv2.com page there are many topics and subjects to choose from,even a section at the bottom where the U.S. is divided up in regions and we plan get togethers to put faces on some of these names......One thing I've learned is that when iRV2'ers get together no one goes hungry!!

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing more of your posts...
Old 07-04-2006, 05:38 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
WooHoo! Another Vermonter! Welcome Tom! Hope you will join us at the Nor'Easter Rallies. We have been the only Vermonters and I think some of those New Joisy folks think Vermont is a myth!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:47 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Another twist - Traffic in the LAke George area trying to get to 87 will be terrible. May I suggest tht in Fort Ann, you continue south on RT 4 to Fort Edward. Turn right on Rt 197 about 8 miles to Rt 9. Turn left on rt 9 about 3 miles to rt 87. A lot less traffic.

Bill
Old 07-05-2006, 05:11 AM   #11

Well, the consensus seems to be to head south rather than north. Even so, if the trip north to I-87 only adds 1/2 hour to our drive time then it's a consideration. I'd like to think that I'd make up that time - even at only 62 MPH - on I-87, assuming, of course, that Route 22a, etc. are 55 MPH roads.

Thanks everyone!

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:04 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I would say it's pretty much what you prefer. What people choose has to do with what they are comfortable with. Where I live it's about 50-60 miles to any interstate. And to get to the interstate going southeast we have go over the Green Mountains. Another way to avoid the Lake George traffic is to take 9I off 149 and I believe it's Quaker Road to 87. We don't really care much for going down 4 although that's the way the the I87 signs say to go. You have to go through Fort Edward.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:56 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
the locals got you to I87. Once you are on I87 take it to I84 west to I81 south.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote