Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Country Coach Owners Club
Eugene OR to Farmington NM

After getting a late start to take care of some medical problems we are planning to leave Eugene OR on Nov 22 for Farmington NM and planned to to I-84 to Salt Lake then on to Hwy 6 (UT) go down through Moab UT on down to Farmington. Anyone have any experience with this general route in winter. Do we have to have chains or can we just wait for the roads to clear? Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

36' Country Coach with tow.

Miller65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
all the roads are in good shape with exception on I-15 in provo area.
hard to predict the weather. just keep on eye on the local road department of transportation web sites .good luck on your medical problems

beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
There are some pretty steep grades south of Moab that I would not attempt in ice or snow, chains or not. Suggest waiting until roads are clear before leaving Moab.
perfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
We've traveled the Moab - Durango CO/Farmington NM roads many times. No steep grades that I recall - it's all fairly flat. Whether you take the Moab - Monticello - Cortez - Farmington route or go through Durango to Farmington, the only "steep" grade is leaving Durango for about 1 mile, and it's uphill.

We've had our first winter storm pass through this weekend (we live in SW CO), but currently all the roads are clear with temps around 35 - 50 predicted with lots of sunshine for the next week or so. No more snow storms in the future as of now until the 26th of November, according to Accuweather, but as you travel, check the forecast and plan accordingly.

Good luck with your travels, and on your medical issues.
Joe and Debbie, Emma the Aussie Cattle Dog who adopted us
2012 Discovery 36J, Blue Ox and Air Force One, 2010 GMC Acadia Toad
USAF (Ret) WDM http://wd0m.com
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Just about any high hill or pass going higher than 4000' is subject to snow/icing from Dec to Feb. Haven't been on 84 in a long time, but above statement stands for that highway. Coming out of SLC on 15, a lot of the construction may be done by now. Heading SE on 6 there is Soldier Summit that is subject to closing during a snowstorm. From there on to Moab/Monticello will be ok. I have been caught in blizzard conditions in both May and December from Monticello east to Dove Creek--as mentioned above, it all depends on the weather. From Cortez thru Durango it can also be dicey if you hit it during a cold/stormy spell. Durango/Aztec/Farmington will be ok.
None of the roads will be a problem EXCEPT if there is a front/storm at the same time--if it was a strong storm, there are lots of places to get in trouble. Best to wait it out. Other than that, its a pretty boring drive once you get into UT.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks to everyone who answered back. After reading and re reading these responses And going over the map and road cams. We made the decision to take I 5 south then over to I 40 up through Gallup NM up 491 to Farmington. That we we are on major roads and have a quick exit if needed.

Thanks again and maybe we will see you on the road.

Miller65 is offline   Reply With Quote