Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2015, 10:23 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Eureka to Redding Ca. hwy 299

Planning a west coast trip end of April 3700 miles, considering part of trip Hwy 101 North from Sonoma area to Eureka then Hwy 299 to Redding & back to I-80. Just was wondering what Hwy 299 is like, driving 40' DP w/toad, normal driving time is 3 hours (map quest), weather ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #2

I have taken that route several times without any problem. On my last trip traffic was held up a bit because or road construction but not a major inconvenience.

Just added this to another post on 299: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/di...php?page=sr299

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Decent road. Lots of hills and curves so you don't make very good time. Have done it many times in 40 ft motorhome towing a Ford explorer. We probably take closer to 3.5 hours. Weather should not be much of an issue by the end of April
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm curious if anyone has gone from Sonoma to Eureka and taken Hwy 1 in your coach with a toad?
Old 02-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
I'm curious if anyone has gone from Sonoma to Eureka and taken Hwy 1 in your coach with a toad?
The general consensus when this concept comes up is 101 is absolutely no problem, but portions of 1 are. Specifically, in your case, the portion of Highway 1 southwest of Leggett. We took our previous 32' Class A towing a Grand Cherokee from Bodega Bay up to Fort Bragg. No issues at all. Preciously I had taken a 26' Class C on up to Leggett but would absolutely not do that portion of the road in anything but a sports car again. Same for the portion of 1 just north of SF.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:23 PM   #6

I have done the entire 1 from San Diego to mid Oregon (hwy 26) a few times. Last time in my 31ft class C towing our Camry on a dolly. Everyone will tell you not to do it. I will do it every chance I get.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the replies, I've been down portions of Hwy 1 & 101 with 5th Wheel, Hwy 299 looks like its a nice drive looking forward to it.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmacs View Post
...Hwy 299 looks like its a nice drive looking forward to it.
I know this is an old thread but I wonder if you drove 299 and what you think after that?

We are planning that route and after looking at this on flatroute.com I'm thinking this could be the most challenging drive in our 43' MH that we have ever had.

According to the profile it has nearly a dozen climbs exceeding 6% with 3 climbs over 10%. On the down side there are several descents that exceed 6%, a few more that exceed 10% with on short segment at 15%.

We plan to run this route around May 19th so I don't think we will have any snow issues but wet roads from rain could be a bummer. Obviously, the best plan is slow but steady. I only have a 1 stage exhaust brake and down grades over 5% start forcing me to get below 45 MPH and I'm assuming I will be closer to 25 MPH on grades over about 8%. To the best of my recollection, I have never seen anything greater than 8% so this will be a challenge.

Without getting into any big debates...at 43' there are no CA routes north of 299 that set me up for a visit to Crater Lake without major back tracking. I'm looking at possibly going up to Bandon OR but I will put up another thread to talk about that.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:16 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Interesting....

After comparing:

1. Fortuna to Redding via 299
2. Grand Junction to Denver via I-70

The steepest grades on route to Redding aren't as steep as those on I-70 leading into Denver from the west. Also, the elevations on the Redding route don't come anywhere near the highest ones leading into Denver. I've driven I-70 into Denver twice and felt comfortable with both the technical aspects of the route along with the fact I wasn't going to be going very fast climbing up to Vail Pass and the Eisenhower tunnel. I did get a very good scare on the downhill side of Vail and learned to slow it down a bit more than I thought was appropriate.

OTOH, the Redding route has many more ups and downs along with twists and turn. It also looks like managing momentum will be important since many of the descents immediately transition into significant climbs. And then many climbs immediately transition into steep downhill runs.

The Redding route looks like one of those routes where there are only a few breaks for the driver but sufficient turn outs to take one if needed. There are also is a significant number of climb lanes for most areas to avoid being a rolling road block for the most part. Still, I will need to really stay on top of things.

All that being said, I don't see anything that makes this route unsafe being fore warned about its technical challenges.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:05 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We traveled the route a couple years ago going from Redding to the coast. It is slow going and not many turnouts that I remember. It was not a relaxing drive, at least the day we traveled it. There was a lot of oncoming traffic with lots of trucks and they like to crowd the center line. There is almost no shoulder so you cant move over a lot. There also was a lot of construction to deal with.
It is doable but not a road I would do again unless I had to.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:09 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
It is doable but not a road I would do again unless I had to.
That is my conclusion.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:21 PM   #12

We drove it last fall in a Mercedes Chassis class b+. The road itself is fine. I have owned 45 footers and would not be afraid to do the road in a big coach.... Took forever though as there was what seemed like never ending road construction.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you aware of the current conditions of the hwy 299 closures at Big French Creek? I live in the area East of Redding so I hear about it a lot on the news regarding the daily changes to the road opening schedule at the top of the hour only and you have to be in line already and one way or even local only traffic. It will likely not be repaired by your travel date.

I'm not saying you can't do it, I just wanted to let you know about it.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
Are you aware of the current conditions of the hwy 299 closures at Big French Creek? ...
This is as of today... Division of Traffic Operations - Road Information - California Highway Information

Looks like a long drive. LOL Still, as long as this doesn't get worse, we will probably run that route. THANKS!

SR 299

[IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 0.5 MI EAST TO 1.5 MI EAST OF BURNT RANCH (TRINITY CO) - DUE TO SLIDE REMOVAL

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC FROM 4.5 MI WEST OF BIG BAR /AT BIG FRENCH CREEK/ TO 4.1 MI WEST OF BIG BAR (TRINITY CO) 24 HRS A DAY FROM 0600 HRS MONDAY TO 0600 HRS SUNDAY - DUE TO SLIDE REMOVAL - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF UP TO 60 MINUTES FROM 1800 HRS EACH NIGHT TO 0600 HRS EACH MORNING - THE ROAD WILL BE OPEN TO ALL TRAFFIC FROM 0600 HRS SUNDAY TO 0600 HRS MONDAY WITH UP TO 30 MINUTE DELAYS

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 2 MI WEST OF THE SHASTA DIVIDE TO THE SHASTA DIVIDE (SHASTA CO) FROM 0930 HRS TO 1430 HRS THURSDAY THRU SATURDAY THRU 3/25/17 - DUE TO MAINTENANCE