Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2016, 10:13 AM   #1

Eureka to Yreka

Hi All

My wife and I are finalizing the plans for our trip...we originally were going to Oregon, but decided to scale back, because we only have two weeks, and don't want to rush.

We are thinking about driving from Eureka to Yreka, but are concerned about the route (299 to 96) we have an older rv (1994 31' Rexhall Aerex) How windy is this road? My wife sometimes gets carsick. Does this route lend itself to carsickness?

I think it will be a cool drive, but don't want to be miserable.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If carsickness is the issue hwy. 96 would not be advisable. 299 is a test in itself. If Yreka is your destination take 299 to I5.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #3

If that is your destination, take the 299 all the way. 299 has some large hills, but the road is fine. If your going to be going more south, I personally would take the 20. That's farther south and really out of your way if you are not heading more south.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #4

So, the 96 is not recommended for RV travel? My wife is willing to take a Dramamine. It really looks like a really awesome route, but I don't want to take it if it is TOO hairy

Thanks!

Mike
Old 04-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #5

I've made that trip many times. I highly recommend you take i5 to 199. It may look longer on the map but it is a much easier drive, fewer cars, no narrow areas with cliffs and will take less time. I would absolutely not take an RV over 299/96. That is a very narrow, twisty and difficult drive.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #6

Ok

Thanks for the input

Was looking forward to driving through the Klamath forest, but not at the expense of my sanity!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #7

199 takes you through some of the most pristine wilderness. It's still the heart of the Klamath. You'll skirt the Siskiyou wilderness and follow the wild and scenic Smith river. It's beautiful country and then you'll see the redwoods. Stop at the pink cafe in Gasquet for a great chili burger!
Old 04-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #8

IMHO, there is no way to get from where you are to Yreka without going across some fairly steep curvy roads. If it were me I would take the road I wanted to. It will be curves much of the way, but my wife gets car sick and we've done it several times with a 11.5 TC towing a Tracker. Many times with a bike or car. A bit of Dramamine and slowing down usually does it for my wife. Just don't get on the road to the Forks of the Salmon, now that one is scary even with a bike.:-))

199, again IMHO, isn't bad once it leaves the Smith River, but there are a few places along the river where it narrows with a cliff on one side and a drop off to the river on the other. There are good guardrails. I think it would be considerably longer, but it is beautiful. We traveled it many times through the 80s and 90s with our TC towing a 22' boat to the ocean and back to Phoenix, OR. It is also a beautiful drive from Eureka to Crescent City.

We lived in Hoopa for about a year and traveled to Arcata/Eureka to shop about every two weeks. IMHO, the worst part of the drive would be parts of 299 and 96 to Weitchepec. While 96 is curvy it is a good road on up the Klamath.

Please let us know how the route you choose works out for you.

Just my 2c.

Steve
Old 04-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #9

299 has grades of 6-8% and curves. Your wife better take something before driving any of the above-mentioned roads.

I used to get so seasick and even Dramerine or the patch didn't help. We were on a Alaskan glacier cruise on flat water and I got sick. The crew gave me a pair of pressure point wrist bands, set me down outside on the cold deck (& I couldn't even focus on the horizon like some suggest) and whatever it was made the seasickness go away. I attribute it to the wrist bands and now wear them on the water and also on curvy roads. You can purchase them in drug stores.

Also, if I'm driving, curvy roads never affect me. Has your wife tried that?

Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:42 PM   #10

I thought I'd also mention that if you decide to use 199 and I-5 it will be a light sustained grade up the Smith River with about 6% for the last few miles to the tunnel near the OR border. Then when you get to Ashland on I-5 there will be a sustained 6% grade for about 6 miles over the Siskiyous and down the other side into CA.

Steve