Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #15
We got ours from IL. No issues using it anywhere EZPASS is accepted.

jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 02:02 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
We have our EZ Pass from Virginia for a motorhome and a toad. Two transponders: one for the toad and one for the RV that's set up for 4 axles/10 wheels/more than 7,000 pounds (Class 467). The EZ Pass service center told us to do it this way (vs. having one transponder for the RV and another one for the toad) because the second one doesn't always ring up the toll and that could/probably will result in a toll violation.

As Pigman1 noted, when towing, you need to remember to remove the EZ Pass from your toad and wrap it in aluminum foil or a shielded plastic bag -- you can get them at many computer stores -- to keep it from being read. If you don't, both transponders will ring up and you'll pay two tolls for the toad.

2004 Itasca Spirit -- The Darlin' Dot II
A big fan of Jimmy Buffett, The Boston Red Sox & The Open Road
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark ... and we're wearing sunglasses."
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
Having a transponder for each of your vehicles may be convenient, but is not required. I have one transponder that I have routinely moved between three different vehicles with absolutely no problem.

That's OK to do, provided all of the vehicles are the same class of vehicles -- all two-axle cars in the same weight class, for instance. But putting such a transponder on a motorhome is asking for trouble, IMO.
2004 Itasca Spirit -- The Darlin' Dot II
A big fan of Jimmy Buffett, The Boston Red Sox & The Open Road
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark ... and we're wearing sunglasses."
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #18
Originally Posted by CaptSteveW View Post
When I got my EZ-PASS transponders for the RV and the toad from Massachusetts, I spent a good deal of time with the counter person asking questions about counting axles and towing etc. They gave me a transponder for the motor home that would always assume we were towing the toad as a dinghy. They also gave me a transponder for the toad alone.

When we are in the RV towing I just keep the toad's transponder in a protective pouch. They said if I am driving the RV or the toad without a trailer (just 2 axles), put the RV transponder in the pouch and just use the toad's transponder in either vehicle.

In other words the RV is treated as a car when it's not towing.
If you use the NY Thruway, you could get charged for the whole toll road. They go by "height" of vehicle and # of axles. Check it out!
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #19
Take 95N to Richmond, 64 West to Staunton, Va, 81 north to 84 east: no tolls, great ride and will not need a transponder
king yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #20
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Just an additional note. Here in the mid-Atlantic area the idiots setting the tolls on a number of bridges seem to think it's OK to screw the RV'ers and truckers. For instance when crossing the Chesapeake Bay bridge the toll for a 3 axle RV pulling a 2 axle toad is $36 whereas a 3 axle RV alone is $12 and a car/pickup alone is $5.40.
Probably because 5 axles indicates a Tractor-trailer and the sensing equipment can't differentiate.
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #21
Originally Posted by Displaced2 View Post
Bought my EZ Pass from North Carolina. Covers east coast Maine to Florida n good part of mid-west.
No problem towing in past but let you know more when I get home n go through mail.
Been gone six weeks.
EZPass is not yet usable in Florida. You need SunPass.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I finally got our EZ Pass. Had to get a Blue EZ Pass for the RV, they are in a different category.
Retired Army--Bob--2014 Tour 42QD
2015 GMC Canyon SLT Crew Cab 4WD
2001 Honda Goldwing
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #23
I perused most every states E-Z pass website and decided to buy one from Illnois. They only charge for the transponder, they do not remove money from your account monthly like Indiana just for having the account. You do need to buy the correct transponder, but FL detects total $ axles and bills accordingly.
A side note to your questions is something new from Louisville Kentucky. They are building a new Northbound bridge over the Ohio river (I 65) and rebuilding the old bridge to be Southbound only. This will be an electronic-only toll, no stopping whatsoever. You must have E-Z pass or they bill by license plate at a higher rate. It's a few years in the future, but it's coming.
reference: Kentucky.gov: - Indiana, Kentucky Governors Agree on Plan to Pay for Two New Bridges Across Ohio River
I think I posted this a few months ago, with more information. Here is another link to current E-Z pass states.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:42 PM   #24
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
I am in the process of getting an ez-pass and just learned that in PA. Any RV over 15000 lbs you must get a commercial account. It is so confusing how all 15 states have totally different guidelines and discounts. The FL Sunpass is a lot easier. Just trying to get a pass mainly for convenience.
Yes, in PA your EZPass for most RV is commercial, UH!! I had to drive to Harrisburg to get my EZPass, as none of the local agents can issue commercial (& I did not have time to wait for it to be mailed). Commercial you also have to purchase transponder, so now you own it, plus a small service fee each monthly that it is used. I walked away 4 EZPasses.
1 for RV towing.
1 for RV only.
1 for car only (however this 1 I was able to add 4 other cars/SUV including daughter who lives in MD, NOT truck required a different transponder).
1 for car towing.
Commercial accounts starts @ $100.00 instead of lower $35.00. I set up all 4 under 1 account & I just move the car around, otherwise I'd have 2 separate accounts to keep refilling dollars on. With my EZPass in PA I get a 35% off toll, which amounts to a lot for RV or RV towing. My PA is good in 15 other states, but they could not tell me how much of a discount the other states would give me.
Next year I plan on also getting a Florida Sun Pass.
rrbalonek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:49 AM   #25
I have Florida Sunpass and EZ Pass from Virginia in Motorhome and Truck. Easier than moving them around and trying to remember if I went to my account on line and changed to towing or not towing.

As mentioned, I remove the EZ Pass and put in foil bag when hooked to Motorhome.
The only problem I ever had was in PA when they sent me a letter with fines and administrative fees for running a toll booth. Picture of front of Motorhome with license plate clear as a bell. I sent them my EZ Pass account information and they responded back with a nice letter telling me the matter was resolved.
Tom and Gloria
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35A, TOAD: 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Towbar, Baseplate and SMI Stay N Play
TomandGloria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:04 AM   #26
Originally Posted by rrbalonek View Post
Next year I plan on also getting a Florida Sun Pass.
That may not be necessary. As I understand the Federal Gov. Is going to require all States to use one system so only one device will be required nationwide. Now to wait and see if it happens. Also Mass. Will give you a unit free of charge. No monthly fee. Best deal in town and does not require you to be a resident.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:25 AM   #27
I live in Mass, but got my EZ Pass from New York, because at the time, Mass charged for the Pass, and also charged an annual fee (Or was it monthly?) and NY did not.

I have never paid any fee other than the tolls.

Rules do change from state to state, and even from year to year within a state.

I used to have one transponder that I used mostly in my car, but had both cars and the old Class C listed, so I could take it from vehicle to vehicle.

A couple years ago, they suggested I get a transponder for each vehicle, at the time I got my current MH, a larger Class A. (That one is different because of the weight)

Now I have a transponder on each vehicle. I don't take them off. But neither have I toad yet.
Karl I. Sagal KarlSagal@Gmail.com
Well done is better than well said. (Ben Franklin)
1988 Fleetwood Southwind, 34'
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #28
I have EZ pass from NC. Covered east coast where others didn't at time of acquisition. Drove from Maine to Keys during course of travels last three years. Never had separate for toad. Just transferred when at campsite. If any question arose they sent notification/bill. Called to pay and admin fees waived, only paid toll.
Heading to southwest this year. See what happens.

Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote