Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #15

A few years ago I pulled into a truck stop in Illinois near a toll road and bought EZ pass. I then activated it right then using a cell phone. Wasn't difficult and have used it with two or three different RV's. Be using it again this summer, at least that's the plan at the moment.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I researched this quite a bit a few years ago. Yes, you can get an "EZ-Pass" from any state. We got an Illinois IPass, not so much because of no service fee, but because it is explicitly allowed to be used with any combination of a Motorhome, passenger vehicle, or Motorhome/toad combination. Other states may require a separate EZ-Pass for the RV. If you search the forums, you'll see a fairly long thread on the topic from about a year ago. I think it was in the Class A forum.

WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #17

I just purchased the Illinois E-ZPass. I think it is the best bet from what I have read here as well as other websites. I found this on a website. I thought it would help in decisions.

At a glance
Here is a quick look at what it costs for one vehicle to get an E-Z Pass in different states:
Virginia: $35 prepaid tolls, 50 cents per month (or $6 annually)
Delaware: $25 prepaid tolls, $15 fee. No monthly or annual fee
Illinois: $40 prepaid tolls, $10 refundable deposit. No monthly or annual fee.
Indiana: $10-$20 prepaid tolls, $1 monthly fee (or $12 annually)
Maine: $20 prepaid tolls, $10 fee per tag. No monthly or annual fee.
Maryland: $25 prepaid tolls, $9 tag fee. $1.50 monthly fee for drivers who do not use Maryland tolls on a monthly basis.
New Hampshire: $30 prepaid tolls (up to two tags), $8.90 per tag. No monthly or annual fee.
New Jersey: $25 prepaid tolls, $10 per tag (fee waived if credit card is used). $1 monthly fee (or $12 annually)
New York: $25 prepaid tolls, $10 refundable deposit.
Ohio: $25 prepaid tolls, $3 activation fee, 75 cents per month (or $9 annually)
Pennsylvania: $35 prepaid tolls, $10 deposit (deposit is waived if credit card is used), $3 annual fee
Rhode Island: $25 prepaid tolls, $20.95 fee. No monthly fees.
West Virginia: $20 prepaid tolls, $5 annual fee
Old 04-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillLinc View Post
Federal law MAP-21 passed in 2012 mandated that all electronic toll collection facilities be inter-operable by 10/1/2016, 7 months from now. States have had 4 years to get ready. Haven't heard of it being delayed, but you never know what Congress might do.

We have an Illinois I-Pass and love it (and we don't live in Illinois). Everything can be done online, including ordering one, which they will ship to any state. Initially $10 for the transponder and $40 for tolls (refundable if/when the account is closed). As the toll balance goes down during use, you set the replenishment level and amount, which will be charged to your credit card. What nice about the I-Pass is there is only 2 kinds - a blue one for commercial truck and buses, and a white one for everything else - cars, motorhomes, etc. Doesn't matter as to size, weight, number of axles or what you are towing. Just list the license plates of all the vehicles that you will be using it on, including trailers, toads, friends vehicles, etc. You can swap it between vehicles to your hearts content, even to friends vehicles - just list their license plate.
MAP 21 mandated it, but provided no incentives or penalties. The 2 primary technologies do not communicate with each other and are incompatible. Both feel theirs is best and don't want to change, and neither have the funds to change their readers to the others technology.

I would not be making decisions on which states transponder to use anticipating interstate compatibility.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #19

As far as I know, the EZPASS transponders work in each state that utilizes EZPASS. Florida, however, uses SUNPASS and it is not compatible with EZPASS. So if you do not want to stop at a toll booth every 2 miles, especially in the Orlando area, you have to have both passes. We use both EZPASS and SUNPASS infrequently but are very convenient when we need them.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #20
WDW

So if you have an IL EZ Pass are you charged a different rate than a NY EZ Pass when towing a car behind your MH?

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
The EZPass rates are the same for everybody, no matter which state you are registered with. The only difference in cost is in the upfront costs and maintenance fee if any.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
Again, some states charge a service fee, others do not. If we chose a state with a service fee, it would eat up all our money sitting in our account as we are only an occasional user of EZPASS.
Indiana has a service fee, so we bought ours from Illinois, which does not.

I'll be glad when Florida and the others with separate systems joins the EZ-pass states.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
The EZPass rates are the same for everybody, no matter which state you are registered with. The only difference in cost is in the upfront costs and maintenance fee if any.
This is mostly true.however a few states give a small discount if the unit is registered there. Mass will give you a unit free of charge and there is no maintenance charges.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
This is mostly true.however a few states give a small discount if the unit is registered there. Mass will give you a unit free of charge and there is no maintenance charges.

After posing the question, and reading the responses, I went with MA. They sent me three transponders. One for the expected configuration: RV pulling the Jeep. One for the highly likely configuration of driving the Jeep solo. Finally, one unlikely configuration of driving the RV without the Jeep. No monthly fees (which is great because we live on the left coast but will travel through EZ-Pass country occasionally. We just preloaded the account with the expected fees for this visit.

We were hoping that we could just affix the transponder to the lower right corner of the windshield on a temporary basis. The EZ-Pass folks said that you have to put it centered up at the top (below window tinting).

Where are you guys placing your transponders?
Old 04-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #25

We found a holder for our EZPASS at a truck stop. We only have to have one pass (IL) so the suctioned cup holder allows us to move it from vehicle to vehicle. We mounted the EZPASS permanently to the holder so we do not have to have Velcro strips for each time we move it. Cost was $5.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
We found a holder for our EZPASS at a truck stop. We only have to have one pass (IL) so the suctioned cup holder allows us to move it from vehicle to vehicle. We mounted the EZPASS permanently to the holder so we do not have to have Velcro strips for each time we move it. Cost was $5.

Thanks. I will look for something like this.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
We will be traveling through IN, OH, PA, NY, MA, and a few other states. There seems to be some reciprocal agreements between states on the use, but each have their own plans. For instance the NY site says that there is a discount for motor homes pulling a toad (if you provide a proof of registration of the motor home).

So, which is the preferred state for purchasing or registering this Ez-pass device? Where, on this big windshield do you attach the transponder?
I have the Illinois ez pass and I used it last fall. Easy peazy. Take care on the PA turnpike as the lanes are very narrow. Banged mirrors twice.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had the EZ Pass (NY) for several years. We have a separate ones (with toad/without toad) for our RV as they charge lower tolls if you are driving an RV over a truck the same size in NY. Also have them for both cars. No problem using it in any of the states you mentioned.

Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote