Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 02:56 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
We were hoping that we could just affix the transponder to the lower right corner of the windshield on a temporary basis. The EZ-Pass folks said that you have to put it centered up at the top (below window tinting).

Where are you guys placing your transponders?
I keep my EZ-Pass and my Sunpass at the bottom of my windshield in the center. They work perfectly there and are completely out of my line of vision. Also, when the suction cups let go (which they all do eventually), they don't go anywhere.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
We were hoping that we could just affix the transponder to the lower right corner of the windshield on a temporary basis. The EZ-Pass folks said that you have to put it centered up at the top (below window tinting).

In our class C it didn't work most of the time at the center top of the windshield as the signal was blocked by the cabover. EZ Pass had us move it to the bottom center of the windshield and it works fine there. There is a space between the defrost vents in the center so I don't think heat will be a problem either.

Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #31

Quote:
It looks like MA doesn't charge a service fee. This is also important to me since my usage will be infrequent. I will be calling to find out just how they handle the toad, when being towed and when driving it separately.

No service in Mass.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
I have the Illinois ez pass and I used it last fall. Easy peazy. Take care on the PA turnpike as the lanes are very narrow. Banged mirrors twice.

Thanks for the tip pcurt23.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
In our class C it didn't work most of the time at the center top of the windshield as the signal was blocked by the cabover. EZ Pass had us move it to the bottom center of the windshield and it works fine there. There is a space between the defrost vents in the center so I don't think heat will be a problem either.

Yeah...looking for a spot that will work without standing out and ruining the view.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
After posing the question, and reading the responses, I went with MA. They sent me three transponders. One for the expected configuration: RV pulling the Jeep. One for the highly likely configuration of driving the Jeep solo. Finally, one unlikely configuration of driving the RV without the Jeep. No monthly fees (which is great because we live on the left coast but will travel through EZ-Pass country occasionally. We just preloaded the account with the expected fees for this visit.

That's why I went with Illinois...one IPass for all of those situations.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #35

Good information. The universal pass almost seemed too good to be true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonk64 View Post
MAP 21 mandated it, but provided no incentives or penalties. The 2 primary technologies do not communicate with each other and are incompatible. Both feel theirs is best and don't want to change, and neither have the funds to change their readers to the others technology.

I would not be making decisions on which states transponder to use anticipating interstate compatibility.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #36
WDW

Ok I'm back on the topic of IL having one pass for all vehicles as compared to NY having a blue pass if towing and a separate one if not.

If you are towing with an IL pass are you charged the same as if you are not towing?

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:47 PM   #37

Charged by axles.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sensors count the axles in NY. Still have two RV passes, one for just the RV and one for the RV when towing. Cars have their own so no switching a pass between them. All on the same account.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
Sensors count the axles in NY. Still have two RV passes, one for just the RV and one for the RV when towing. Cars have their own so no switching a pass between them. All on the same account.
Saying NY is being a bit vague.

There are at least 7 toll authorities in NY State.

The NY Thruway will give you the RV rate is proven by a registration. You will need that pass.

They count axles and height after the first axle to charge tolls.

A pickup truck towing a trailer gets car/ trailer rate.

A pickup truck towing a fith wheel gets a commercial rate because it sees over 7 feet, before the second axle. Needs an RV pass.

Class A and Cs with cabover need an RV pass.

All of the other toll authorities don't care what you got. The just charge by the axle. Last trip over the GWB on I95 cost $60.00.

I bag the car pass, display my blue one and get yelled at by the collector on the Throgs Neck bridge. She says blue is for trucks.

The first time I used the white ( car ) pass in the MH, on the Thruway, they shut it down. I then just went thru the high speed lanes and got charged for the toad. That was the plate they got a picture of.

$18.20 for the whole road was cheaper then the MH and Toad for 6 exits.

I love New York.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #40

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have both the EZ pass and Sun Pass. We were warned that in FL the fees that they ad on to the tolls can be more than the toll was. Have a separate EZ Pass that we carry for the toad, just keep it stored in its foil bag till needed. Have it mounted near the top of the windshield. Only had once were it did not read, and that was at the Middlebury, IN exit.

Also use the EZ Pass with the company truck, with and without a cargo trailer.