Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #1

Ez-Pass (does it matter which state)?

We will be traveling through IN, OH, PA, NY, MA, and a few other states. There seems to be some reciprocal agreements between states on the use, but each have their own plans. For instance the NY site says that there is a discount for motor homes pulling a toad (if you provide a proof of registration of the motor home).

So, which is the preferred state for purchasing or registering this Ez-pass device? Where, on this big windshield do you attach the transponder?
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You are right that it doesn't matter which state you choose. I have Massachusetts where there are no monthly account fees or charges for the transponder(s). In the car, it is mounted on the windshield behind the rear view mirror and on the motorhome, it is close to the bottom in the center of the windshield.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post
You are right that it doesn't matter which state you choose. I have Massachusetts where there are no monthly account fees or charges for the transponder(s). In the car, it is mounted on the windshield behind the rear view mirror and on the motorhome, it is close to the bottom in the center of the windshield.
Agreed. And you don't have to be from or have your verhicle registered there to get one. Just go online to signup. They just take $20 to open your account and take additional fees as needed to keep your account at that level.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #4

Ez-Pass (does it matter which state)?

Do your research because some states charge a service fee. We have an IPASS from IL because it has no service fee. We can transfer it from vehicle to vehicle/motorcycle with no issues. We mount our pass on a suction cup device we found at a truck stop so we can transfer it easily. We use ours infrequently so if it were issued in a state with a service fee, it would eat up our balance in no time. Once you get a pass from the state of your choice, you set up an account on line. So nice not having to go thru toll booths. EZPASS does not work in FL-you have to have a Sun Pass for FL but new regulations will eventually have one toll system and I think it will be EZPASS. Was supposed to happen this year but doubt it happens.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:35 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ez Pass works in a lot of states without you having to
do anything special. If the Toll Booth is not Ez Pass they
will photo/capture your license plate and mail you a bill
for the toll. Just drive right through like you owned
the place, as long as no gate/arm is in use.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #6

We are from the left coast, but plan on being in the area every other year or so. It would be great to have the account and transponder ready for use...and not have to worry about a monthly maintenance fee. I like the suggestion of the suction cup for the windshield. That way we can easily transfer the transponder from the coach to the toad as needed.

We have a similar toll pass system in California, but their are no reciprocal agreements with neighboring states. I like the idea of a centralized system. One transponder fits all. If and when that happens it will probably just be an app on our smart phones.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #7

I have E Z pass from NY. in fact I have several as there is no charge for additional transponders. I have one for just the motorhome. I have another for the motorhome with attached car trailer ( 2 additional axels) I have another for my spouses vehicle and another for my driver Or toad when it is not being pulled behind the motor home. I use the EZ pass that I would normally use for the motorhome and trailer for the motorhome and toad when pulling the toad. You have to be careful with the EZ Pass that you are not using and put them in the envelopes provided or they register as you go by the toll booths. I recently used my EZ pass going from NY to SD. it was accepted at all locations. I have also set up auto replenishment for the E Z pass thru my credit card and receive monthly statements from E Z pass VIA E Mail. totally happy with EZ Pass
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #8

Additional comments

No service fees with EZ Pass
Mine is attached to the center of the windshield just above the dash with the Velcro mounting strips provided. you can remove the EZ pass from the windshield and the Velcro mounting strips stay in place. you could also have additional Velcro strips in your toad no need to purchase suction mount. I am not sure how many mounting strips they provide I have had EZ Pass for about 15 years no issues to date. Have mounting strips in all vehicles they really stay in place.
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Federal law MAP-21 passed in 2012 mandated that all electronic toll collection facilities be inter-operable by 10/1/2016, 7 months from now. States have had 4 years to get ready. Haven't heard of it being delayed, but you never know what Congress might do.

We have an Illinois I-Pass and love it (and we don't live in Illinois). Everything can be done online, including ordering one, which they will ship to any state. Initially $10 for the transponder and $40 for tolls (refundable if/when the account is closed). As the toll balance goes down during use, you set the replenishment level and amount, which will be charged to your credit card. What nice about the I-Pass is there is only 2 kinds - a blue one for commercial truck and buses, and a white one for everything else - cars, motorhomes, etc. Doesn't matter as to size, weight, number of axles or what you are towing. Just list the license plates of all the vehicles that you will be using it on, including trailers, toads, friends vehicles, etc. You can swap it between vehicles to your hearts content, even to friends vehicles - just list their license plate.
CadillLinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:30 AM   #10

Glad to hear this, and that intelligent actions still exist (at least for some topics ).

And one more reason to surf IRV2, there's always interesting and entertaining things to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillLinc View Post
Federal law MAP-21 passed in 2012 mandated that all electronic toll collection facilities be inter-operable by 10/1/2016, 7 months from now. States have had 4 years to get ready. Haven't heard of it being delayed, but you never know what Congress might do....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:15 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Blast, just stop at a service plaza Ezpass (or Ipass) office in the first participating state you come to. It matters not whose tags you buy. As of now EzPass covers everyplace from Maine west to Illinois, and Maine south to North Carolina.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #12

Again, some states charge a service fee, others do not. If we chose a state with a service fee, it would eat up all our money sitting in our account as we are only an occasional user of EZPASS.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #13

FYI, the service fee here in NJ is $1.00/month.
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #14

It looks like MA doesn't charge a service fee. This is also important to me since my usage will be infrequent. I will be calling to find out just how they handle the toad, when being towed and when driving it separately.