Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
EZ route from Southern OR to Bend, OR

I see there about 3-4 routes that show up on Google Maps. Have not taken this trip before. Can't tell elevations. Would like to avoid higher elevations, if possible. This would be a June to September voyage.

Am in no rush and don't want to visit Crater Lake. Do I have to worry about two-lane roads with traffic behind me....honking and waiting for us to pull over ? Don't care about shortest miles.

I-5 to Albany to Hwy 20?
I-5 to Eugene to Hwy 58 to Hwy 97 or Hwy 126 to 242 to 20?
I-5 to Roseburg to Hwy 138 to Hwy 97?

Thank you......
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #2

There are passes on each of the routes in the 4,500 to 5,500 ft. range, so as far as avoiding high country , its not really possible.
It's been years since I drove any of the routes , and then only by car, but if memory serves and time and mileage aren't a consideration, then 58 over to 97 would be my choice to drive with a coach.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Several years ago, I took Highway 20 from Eugene to Bend, in my 43ft motor home and towing. There were many tight turns, and warnings for large trucks, but it was passable during the months you suggest. I would do it again if I needed to go to Bend from Eugene.

== John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #4

58 is your best option if your paranoid about mountain driving. But remember your still going to have mountain passes over 4000 feet elevation. 58 is a major E/W truck route and is generally in good condition.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCamelot View Post
Several years ago, I took Highway 20 from Eugene to Bend, in my 43ft motor home and towing. There were many tight turns, and warnings for large trucks, but it was passable during the months you suggest. I would do it again if I needed to go to Bend from Eugene.

== John
Sorry, but 20 doesn't go out of Eugene... I think you may be thinking of 126.

Hwy 20, off of I-5, turns off at Albany and yes, (but you can take Hwy 34 over to 20) it has a lot of very slow curves and miles and miles of 6% grade. I have gone west on that highway from the Sister's area and would never, ever take my coach on it going east.

Our favored route, but way north of what you want to do, is Hwy 26 out of Salem. Connects to 20 just east of Sisters and then take 20 from Sisters to Bend.

You will be going over the Cascades. I don't think there is a route anywhere in Oregon (except for I-84) that does not require you to go over passes of 4000 feet or more.

If you coming north out of California, you might think of taking hwy 97 out of Weed and go over to Klamath Falls.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #6

Retired Fire Service RVer's
If you're coming from Grants Pass, Hwy 58 through Oakridge really is your best bet. There's a few relatively steepish grades as you get near the crest, but most with a passing lane to give you room to maneuver. Never driven a coach up that route, but did a lot of truck driving in my earlier days. 58 should be a piece of cake, but it will be busy, like any Cascades route in the summer.

And if you are returning from a California adventure enroute to Bend, I'll second that notion of leaving I-5 at Weed and going through K Falls...

Cheers!
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Sorry, but 20 doesn't go out of Eugene... I think you may be thinking of 126.

Hwy 20, off of I-5, turns off at Albany and yes, (but you can take Hwy 34 over to 20) it has a lot of very slow curves and miles and miles of 6% grade. I have gone west on that highway from the Sister's area and would never, ever take my coach on it going east.

Our favored route, but way north of what you want to do, is Hwy 26 out of Salem. Connects to 20 just east of Sisters and then take 20 from Sisters to Bend.

You will be going over the Cascades. I don't think there is a route anywhere in Oregon (except for I-84) that does not require you to go over passes of 4000 feet or more.

If you coming north out of California, you might think of taking hwy 97 out of Weed and go over to Klamath Falls.

Ron

as you stated your routes/ hwy's are all messed up Hwy 58 goes through Goshen, to oakridge over to 97.
126 leaves springfield and connects to hwy 20. hwy 34 leaves i-5 and connects to 20. hwy 22 leaves salem then connects to 20. hwy 26 leaves portland, goes through Sandy, over Mt. Hood, connects to 97 and goes to bend.
personally i woukd either do 58 or 22. As stated before you will at least be hitting 5k ft. no matter which pass route you take.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
as you stated your routes/ hwy's are all messed up Hwy 58 goes through Goshen, to oakridge over to 97.
126 leaves springfield and connects to hwy 20. hwy 34 leaves i-5 and connects to 20. hwy 22 leaves salem then connects to 20. hwy 26 leaves portland, goes through Sandy, over Mt. Hood, connects to 97 and goes to bend.
personally i woukd either do 58 or 22. As stated before you will at least be hitting 5k ft. no matter which pass route you take.
Yeah, i meant 22 not 26... my bad.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote