Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2016, 02:03 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
EZPass, QuickPass, SunPass options

Previously I had researched the best options for EZPass and found that NC QuickPass is the only one that is accepted everywhere on the east coast, including Florida SunPass roads. (I haven't looked at how west coast works.) I put getting one on my "to do" list and yesterday got around to ordering the transponder.

I had a pleasant surprise discovering they are having a half off sale on transponders through the end of January. Normally their transponders cost $20 each but, for now, are $10 each.

I thought I would share in case anyone else has been looking for the best EZPass option, this might be helpful info.
lce3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
Previously I had researched the best options for EZPass and found that NC QuickPass is the only one that is accepted everywhere on the east coast, including Florida SunPass roads. (I haven't looked at how west coast works.) I put getting one on my "to do" list and yesterday got around to ordering the transponder.

I had a pleasant surprise discovering they are having a half off sale on transponders through the end of January. Normally their transponders cost $20 each but, for now, are $10 each.

I thought I would share in case anyone else has been looking for the best EZPass option, this might be helpful info.
Good information. With today's technology, we should only have to buy 1 pass for every toll road in the US... and there only needs to be 1 collection agency. I'm anxiously waiting.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:30 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting. I know there was talk about requiring all the various EZPass, Sunpass, etc. toll roads to accept each other's transponders, but I didn't know anyone was actually doing it. I looked at the NC Quick Pass site, and see they have two types of transponders. One is only Sunpass/Quickpass capable, although EZPass can now be used in NC. The other transponder is QuickPass/SunPass/EZPass capable and as you say is on sale. The only downside I see, compared to the Illinois IPass I have, is the FAQ says they require a different transponder for every vehicle. The IPass is specifically good for RV's and cars, and can be moved back and forth, but isn't SunPass compatible.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRon View Post
Interesting. I know there was talk about requiring all the various EZPass, Sunpass, etc. toll roads to accept each other's transponders, but I didn't know anyone was actually doing it. I looked at the NC Quick Pass site, and see they have two types of transponders. One is only Sunpass/Quickpass capable, although EZPass can now be used in NC. The other transponder is QuickPass/SunPass/EZPass capable and as you say is on sale. The only downside I see, compared to the Illinois IPass I have, is the FAQ says they require a different transponder for every vehicle. The IPass is specifically good for RV's and cars, and can be moved back and forth, but isn't SunPass compatible.
Yes, there are two types of transponders - the sticker and the hardcase. And you are right that you need a different one for each vehicle. The transponder is linked to the license plate. So if you sell a car and keep the license plate, the hardcase transponder could be transferred. If you get a new license plate, you need a new transponder.

You are right about legislation that was supposed to make them all interchangeable with each other. I believe it was supposed to be in effect October 2016. From my looking, it isn't in effect but they're still talking about it.

IPass did look good and was my second choice but isn't accepted in Florida, which is one of the places we need it. Also not accepted in Georgia but there are limited toll roads in Georgia. Each state has it's own quirks but when I weighed them all out, the NC QuickPass made the most sense for our needs.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:27 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Goldensadie
Did you ask if it works on the west coast of FL?
Goldensadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensadie View Post
Did you ask if it works on the west coast of FL?
Anything that is Sunpass compatible will work anywhere in Florida, including Florida's west coast and also the Skyway bridge.

For transponders, the unit is not tied to a license plate since it can be transferred from vehicle to vehicle. It is highly recommended that license plate data be up dated on-line whenever you move the unit to another vehicle. That is recommended because, if the transponder malfunctions and they have a picture of your license plate, their data base will correlate the plate to the transponder and it will be properly billed to your account. If they can't find a plate in their data base, you will be billed as a toll-by-plate, which includes a higher toll plus administrative charges.

The decal is generally tied to a plate, however, since plates get changed every 5 years, it is simply a matter of going on-line and up dating the plate information.... and for those people who are successful in transferring the decal (not recommended due to likely damage), the plate information should also be updated on-line.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Regarding west coast of Florida, that is where we came across SunPass - crossing from Fort Myers to Cape Coral. Have you seen something other than SunPass?

But, yes, NC is the only one I found that will also work in Florida which is why we closed our EZPass account and changed to NC QuickPass.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know this thread is about EZ Pass and FLA but yesterday I received information about the Ohio River bridges in and around Louisville, KY. Some of us pass thru Louisville to get to the warm weather....

As some of us know - - they have been working on the bridges forever - guess they are close to being done as there will be a toll, including the bridge I65 uses starting December 30th.

Here is the web site for information - was glad to see it is part of the EZ Pass System.

https://riverlink.com

g
Old 12-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Regarding west coast of Florida, that is where we came across SunPass - crossing from Fort Myers to Cape Coral. Have you seen something other than SunPass?

But, yes, NC is the only one I found that will also work in Florida which is why we closed our EZPass account and changed to NC QuickPass.
Central Florida has an " E-Pass " for the roads around Orlando.

It it compatable with SunPass.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:51 AM   #10

Yes, Sunpass will work in Central FL.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:08 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
I know this thread is about EZ Pass and FLA but yesterday I received information about the Ohio River bridges in and around Louisville, KY. Some of us pass thru Louisville to get to the warm weather....

As some of us know - - they have been working on the bridges forever - guess they are close to being done as there will be a toll, including the bridge I65 uses starting December 30th.

Here is the web site for information - was glad to see it is part of the EZ Pass System.

https://riverlink.com

g
Thanks for sharing this. Good to know that new additions are being incorporated into the EZPass system.

BTW, I liked the way this site was especially informative about the process. After looking at the different options, there are some that didn't make things very clear.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:11 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Central Florida has an " E-Pass " for the roads around Orlando.

It it compatable with SunPass.
Thanks for that! You'd think that since Florida doesn't have very many toll roads they could have one system. But good to know that they are compatible with each other.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:40 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Goldensadie
How far will the N/C quick pass work going north as far as ME? All we know of that works driving through New England is EZ pass? We were only sent 1 EZ pass for the coach, nothing for the Jeep tow vehicle?
Goldensadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:05 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks for sharing this. Good to know that new additions are being incorporated into the EZPass system.

BTW, I liked the way this site was especially informative about the process. After looking at the different options, there are some that didn't make things very clear.
Went over the bridge yesterday.......beautiful - even have traffic lane management better, meaning all the L'ville exits, cross-crossing traffic, and dead stops on the Interstate was much easier and better. But a disclaimer - I did not go thru during rush hour.....in any case, it is a lot better, even the Intersate through downtown.

They have scanners across the highway on the Indiana side, I'd imagine it is the same going north on the Kentucky side.

One thing I didn't see explained was trailers........all it says is it takes a
picture of the license plate....or different class vehicles.

I am reading too much into it.....sorry.

g

Tags
epass, ezpass, ipass, quickpass, sunpass