Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #1

Favorite I-95 overnight stop?

We are planning our first trip from NJ to Northeast Florida in the next few weeks and are trying to plan our stops along the way. Can any of you recommend your favorite overnight locations, including Walmart or Cracker Barrels between, say, Md and South Carolina? We are new to this and unsure how many miles we will drive each day before needing to crash!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
We go down to the Keys every Easter and make the following stops:
- Emporia, VA Walmart
- somewhere among Flagler Beach, St. Augustine and Daytona.

From where we are off I-78 in Central NJ, we take the I-78 to I-81 to I-66 to VA Rt. 17 and pick up I-95 in Fredricksburg, VA (thus avoiding Philly, Baltimore and DC)

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the board !

We travel from PA to Naples, Fl several times a year. Heading South we normally spend the night at the Flying J in Kenly, NC @ x106. (we are normally leaving PA late in the afternoon)

There are plenty places to stop along I95.
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere
We go down to the Keys every Easter and make the following stops:
- Emporia, VA Walmart
- somewhere among Flagler Beach, St. Augustine and Daytona.

From where we are off I-78 in Central NJ, we take the I-78 to I-81 to I-66 to VA Rt. 17 and pick up I-95 in Fredricksburg, VA (thus avoiding Philly, Baltimore and DC)
We have also stayed at the Emporia Walmart @ x11; very quite! We have always seen many RVs at the Roanoke Rapids Walmart @ x173 in North Carolina ( about 20 minutes from Emporia). Tried it this summer and lots of highway noise from the interstate.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #5

WIN35P

We will be leaving November 23rd for 12 days in FL, we do this trip a few times each year. I am in central jersey and most times we take 195 to 295 to 113 south in DE. I have also used the 78 to 81 to 66 to 17 to 95.

It depends on what time of day and what the traffic reports are showing when we are ready to take off. I will try to look up the locations we stop at and post again. I am sure you know this but just in case MH are not allowed to use the Baltimore Harbor Tun.

I like to avoid 95 as much as possible as it is a boring ride. I like to enjoy our trip out as it part of the enjoyment of having an RV.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:04 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by win35p View Post
We are planning our first trip from NJ to Northeast Florida in the next few weeks and are trying to plan our stops along the way. Can any of you recommend your favorite overnight locations, including Walmart or Cracker Barrels between, say, Md and South Carolina? We are new to this and unsure how many miles we will drive each day before needing to crash!
this free allstays website lists walmarts and other places that allow overnight parking.
the users keep this site up to date.

Walmart Store Locations Map - Wal-Mart Guide
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #7

This is exactly the kind of information I am looking for...please keep them coming! I know I will use a number of these suggestions. This website and forum are great!! Thank you!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Your question already confirms your route. I'm assuming you already know that the time of day is VERY crutial on the metroplitan areas you will be driving through. We have been very successful using Saturday and Sundays and staying away from 7-10Am and 3-6Pm time slots. Now to your answers:

1) Cracker Barrel, Dumfries VA. Very handy to 95. Don't use RV slots. Park out back.

2) Cracker Barrel, On the North side of Richmond. Can't remember the town.

3) Pedro's South of the Border, Dillin SC. Good place for a northener to "de-winterize" and a quick bath of road salt. ($22.00 a night)

4) Brunswick Georgia, South bound exit. Flying J that honors the rewards card. Next right turn after the J is Coral Isle on the left. Small, clean, new power pedestals, and a family run dinner that serves a great breakfast. Passport America rates, $17.00/night.

Hope this helps.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Flying J at Kenly NC and Flying J at Brunswick GA.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
The Flying J at Dillon (Latta) SC exit 181A. Since a new FJ opened about 12 miles down the road that one is not as crowded. It is a little dated compared to some of the newer ones but all we ask for is some fuel and a place to snooze. The RVs used to actually spill over into a field next door but last time we got a space in the RV parking easily. This was as of last Nov.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
We travel from the eastern shore (near Salisbury, Md) over to 95 and prefer to go south on 13 (a peaceful and pretty drive), then through the Bay bridge - tunnel and around Va Beach. There is a nice campground in Suffolk or you can go on further to Emporia and pick up 95 there. We totally avoid Phil, Baltimore, and DC!
Loralie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flying J at exit 104 Virginia.

regarding:4) Brunswick Georgia, South bound exit. Flying J that honors the rewards card. Next right turn after the J is Coral Isle on the left. Small, clean, new power pedestals, and a family run dinner that serves a great breakfast. Passport America rates, $17.00/night

Just east of this exit is the Georgia PIG bar-B-que. Don't leave Georgia without picking up something from there, eat in or to go.
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:47 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post
Flying J at exit 104 Virginia.

regarding:4) Brunswick Georgia, South bound exit. Flying J that honors the rewards card. Next right turn after the J is Coral Isle on the left. Small, clean, new power pedestals, and a family run dinner that serves a great breakfast. Passport America rates, $17.00/night

Just east of this exit is the Georgia PIG bar-B-que. Don't leave Georgia without picking up something from there, eat in or to go.

We normally make the Va x104 a fuel stop as they always seem to have the cheapest fuel in the area!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
This trip south we stopped a little earlier than normal for the night at the FJ in Florence, SC. There are no RV parking spots to speak of so we went in and asked at the counter about parking. The girl (who was very nice) said on the side is OK we don't care as long as you don't block anyone in or you can go in the back with the trucks.

The side lot is kind of small so we took a look out back and the truck lot is huge. Grabbed and end space about as far out as we could get. There were loads of empty spaces. By morning there were not so many empty but enough so we did not feel like we took a truckers parking spot. Also with all of the trucks running we did not feel bad running our generator all we wanted since it is pretty quiet and was pointing toward not much. All in all a good place to lay over.

For fuel there is a Shell station in St. George, SC exit 77 on the west side that has diesel out back. Easy in and out and $3.69.9 a gallon.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote