Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
feedback on this route; la mesa to palm desert

on feb. 1st we are driving from la mesa to palm desert
previously posted about best routes and thanks for the replies / info

now, looking for feedback on either of these two routes going from la mesa to palm desert:
- I8 east from La Mesa to El Centro
- then either CA 86 north
OR
- CA 111 north from El Centro to Palm Desert

thanks for the help
regards, pdq
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #2

I think it depends on what you want ...

North on I-15 ... little change in elevation ... all four lane freeway ... easy driving but about as interesting as yesterday's dishwater.

East on I-8 ... you will climb to over 4000 feet on three or four crests ... and fall to below sea level at El Centro ... you will descend through rocky hills (rocks bigger than Volkswagons) ... this is scenic ... and you will need your exhaust brake on the descent ... US 68 is a nice four lane undivided highway as I recall ... you will encounter lots of folks with their desert toys on that road ... and pass through date farms ... and you will go past Slab City on the west shore of the Salton Sea. This is much more interesting route ... there is a very nice rest area about half way to El Centro on I-8 ... it is in the middle of the freeway ... and sometimes there are people hang gliding from the large hill just north of the rest area.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks for this - appreciate the comments
we find the interstates fine if you are in a hurry - but we're not!
sounds like this route will be interesting and just fine for driving
thanks again
pdq
Old 01-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
I think it depends on what you want ...

North on I-15 ... little change in elevation ... all four lane freeway ... easy driving but about as interesting as yesterday's dishwater.

East on I-8 ... you will climb to over 4000 feet on three or four crests ... and fall to below sea level at El Centro ... you will descend through rocky hills (rocks bigger than Volkswagons) ... this is scenic ... and you will need your exhaust brake on the descent ... US 68 is a nice four lane undivided highway as I recall ... you will encounter lots of folks with their desert toys on that road ... and pass through date farms ... and you will go past Slab City on the west shore of the Salton Sea. This is much more interesting route ... there is a very nice rest area about half way to El Centro on I-8 ... it is in the middle of the freeway ... and sometimes there are people hang gliding from the large hill just north of the rest area.
You need to take 68 from ElCentro to Brawley then 111 to Niland to get to Slab City which is east of Niland aboiut 2 miles.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #5

I also recommend the I-8 route east, then north along the Salton Sea. Interstate 15 almost always has heavy traffic, and that's compounded by the never-ending Caltrans construction projects. BTW the hang gliding area the other person mentioned is in Pine Valley, just off I-8 as you pass Alpine heading east.

Have fun with your drive; make it leisurely and enjoy the beautiful mountain & desert scenery. :-)
Old 01-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
CD

Also, if you go up past Salton Sea, take the side trip to and through Slab City. I'm not necessarly recomending staying there but it is sure worth seeing. We stayed there one night several years ago and that was enough.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks everyone
this feedback is greatly appreciated
pdq