Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Doesn't most states classify an RV and "personal dwelling" as opposed to a motor vechile in terms of carrying firearms? If they don't I would argue that my motorhome is my personal dwelling and a different set of rules would apply.

2015 GMC Seirra
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Every state, county, city, town or incorporated area has different gun laws which are interpreted differently by each officer.

IMHO, when driving or parked, your MH is going to be considered a vehicle and carrying a loaded weapon is prohibited in many areas.

When set up in a camp ground, your MH may be considered a house or vehicle depending where you are, but I believe the odds are in favor of the house.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #17

Sleeping in a bank parking lot with 23 guns in the SUV. I think this person is mentally challenged. I was a police officer for 30 years, never pulled over a motorhome. Never saw one pulled over. Each state is different but a gun in the living area and not the driving area is deem being in your residence.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Doesn't most states classify an RV and "personal dwelling" as opposed to a motor vechile in terms of carrying firearms?
Some do IF it is parked WITH water, electric, etc hooked up AND no keys in the ignition. If it is moving down the highway, it is a vehicle.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #19
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Well, it has to be stopped for them to get in. What is it then? You guys worry to much. I'd rather get caught with it then need it and not have it. You can have the wife but my pups are sacred.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Some do IF it is parked WITH water, electric, etc hooked up AND no keys in the ignition. If it is moving down the highway, it is a vehicle.
Where does this information come from?
2015 GMC Seirra
Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #21

Federal law provides for for direct transportation thru any state reguardless of state law provided weapon is unloaded and cased. Some states require that the ammo must be removed from clips/magazine and in some cases the ammo must be cased seperately. Stopping off at any point in the travel thru the state other than for necessary stops (ie: visiting senic areas/friends/etc) can remove the protection of the federal law. check links for Gun Laws and NRA/ILA
Old 08-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #22

Put it away in the living part of your RV and forget about it. cops are not going to stop you to see if you have weapons in states. And they cannot just pull you over and search your RV for weapons without getting a search warrant. All different rules when dealing with custom officers.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Where does this information come from?
"Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States" in addition to personal reading on a variety of state websites concerning firearms laws. I also know from personal experience that when I enter a military installation driving my motorhome they will treat it as a vehicle, NOT as my personal residence, regardless of how many times I tell them that it is my only home. In those cases where they do a search (a few do), they will cut me some slack for such things as steak knives which might raise a bit more suspicion in a car than they do in an RV. Firearms restrictions vary depending on the installation, but there are some that state that a personally owned firearm in a POV (privately owned vehicle) need not be declared, and they definitely consider my motorhome a vehicle as most have so stated when I call them to ask about their restrictions on personal firearms.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you think a cop is going to protect you, your in for a shock, they are nowhere to be found unless you are driving over the speed limit. They are not going to be shaking down a silver headed person driving their Motorhome, unless your in Mexico. Put whatever makes you happy in there and don't worry about it. If you do need to shoot someone make sure to wet down the cadaver real good with pepper spray. Officer, I sprayed them with pepper spray and they just kept comming,sob, sob, I had no choice but to drop them like a bad habit, sob, sob, oh dear me !!!

Now you can relax !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
i agree . in the USA allways have one and when leaving the rv we lock it up if can't carry in that state.just be smart about it and don't wave it around. but if you pull it out it's to use it.left it home when travel threw canada.no problem with the law.was asked at boarder what do you have for personal pertection i said nothing witch i didn't other than a 4 battery mag light. he said have a good day.i think anti gunners just making money like new hampshire live free or die
Old 08-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carrying around an unloaded gun might make you feel macho, but it isn't going to help you if you need it. The bad guy WILL shoot you. If you have to ask him to wait while you take off the trigger lock and open the safe to get out the ammo and then load your pistol, or you will hesitate in using it, you are now kown as the victim. You will be a lot better off with pepper or wasp spray that you WILL use.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #27
a k

Newmar Owners Club
My bank here in Mo was robbed with a guy with a gun. They have a sign on the door saying no guns allowed. What the hell?
Old 08-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
a k,
Out here in California we are enlightened. We understand that these poor misunderstood, abused, bad persons are just crying out for love. The fact that he couldn't read the sign that said NO GUNS shows that he was just a poor soul that was never given the chance to learn to read.
On the other hand I say just shoot him !!!
PEACE AND LOVE, I'm out !!!!

Closed Thread