Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
HEADS UP - just got informed a few days ago that reciprocal agreement between WVa and NEV has been cancelled and they will not honor each others CCW Permit. There are bills pending for a National CCW Permit but it has not gotten very much traction from one political group.

On another note - we were at a flea market 7 years ago and found a old motel room key safe for 25.00 that I have mounted under the dinette bench seat, when traveling I lock up my Glock 26 and the Wife's Ruger LCR .38 - the clips and speed loaders are stored in a small cabinet above the door in a pistol case, when stopping for the night they get loaded - once had my winnie searched at a Texas Border Patrol check point - they were looking for drugs or illegals but never really gave me an answer but they looked everywhere in that rig - was not carrying weapon at the time nor anything illegal so nothing to find.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Neat idea on the little safe. BTW ...it is absolutely legal to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle or even on your person while in your vehicle in Texas. It isn't any good in a carjacking unloaded and/or locked in a safe. Don't carry it outside the vehicle in Texas unless you have a CHL.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is possibly be a silly question but here it is. I'm assuming all of this thread is in regard to a hand gun, does the matter change if you are carrying say a shotgun for personal safety?

I've thought go taking a 410 just to have on those occasion that I boondock in the boonies.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #32

Gunny,

I bought a nice drawer safe a few years back from BPS. If I remember correctly it was about $40. I have mounted it in a hidden, but accessible spot in my TT. There is room for 2 pistols, 4 mags and a box of 50 rounds. I always carry/store my forearms loaded and ready to shoot.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Hi AFChap and slanted - I maintain a Government Secret clearance so if traveling through an area with a loaded weapon (in a state my CCW is not recognized) and get ticketed it gets cancelled - heck I have to monitor my credit report monthly a zing on that gets it canned also.

With that said I am not defenseless - I keep my well worn and razor sharp USMC issued Ka-Bar model 1217 within easy reach of my seat - I carried this for 2 years in Iraq and 4 years in Afghanistan and it has never let me down.

I performed Diplomatic Security in Iraq and the habits driving there I carry with me still.

[moderator edit]
Old 08-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Motorhome Mag has an article on this very question in their most recent issue. If you have a Concealed Carry permit, life gets a lot easier--especially since you are from TX because most states have reciprocity with TX. The "don't ask don't tell" is easy advice to give someone, though it's harder to tell the judge that's your philosophy if you are ever arrested for illegal transport or carry. I recommend you get a CC liscence, then familiarize yourself with the laws of the states you plan to visit. Note that laws change frequently, so check often and just before you plan to travel.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
Don't ask- don't tell. Nobody needs to know you have it unless you need to use it. Illinois was a killer but I think the Supreme Court threw that out.
Never leave home without it.
X2
Old 08-26-2014, 12:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
This is possibly be a silly question but here it is. I'm assuming all of this thread is in regard to a hand gun, does the matter change if you are carrying say a shotgun for personal safety?

I've thought go taking a 410 just to have on those occasion that I boondock in the boonies.
I think it does. Not a lot, but it does make a difference. A shotgun with at least a 19" barrel is considered a sporting weapon and regulations are generally less restrictive, not always, but most of the time.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:35 AM   #37

Code of Federal Regulations
Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 - 926a
926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Release date: 2005-08-03
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:
Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:13 AM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE View Post
Code of Federal Regulations
Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 - 926a
926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Release date: 2005-08-03
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:
Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
I have a small safe between the drives seat and MH sidewall that I keep one of my Kimbers in. Easy to access if you know the secret, but a child can't do it. Plus it's locked when in an area my two licenses don't cover.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Is anyone aware of an instance where an RV was searched for weapons while someone was traveling in this country?

Don
Well Don, it has been 4 years and nobody has given you an example. To all us gun-toting grey-haired geezer RVers out there...you probably have a better chance of winning the lotto...provided you buy a ticket, of course.

[Moderator Edit]
Old 08-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #40

I'm a jersey lifelong resident and agree with other posters don't get stopped in jersey and think anyone will be understanding or even rational in discussing firearms. We are always hearing about someone who was trying to do the right thing and ended up in a heap of trouble due to all the draconian rules and regulations. you are all but assured you are breaking some law or another without even realizing it. Welcome to NJ now go home should be posted on the turnpike.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #41

That's to be expected in a state where you can't even pump your own gas! :-)

Dennis & Linda
2014 Winnebago Journey 34B
Old 08-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc454 View Post
That's to be expected in a state where you can't even pump your own gas! :-)

Dennis & Linda
2014 Winnebago Journey 34B
Kind of like Oregon, huh? I'm covered by HR218 but still cautious about carrying and storing firearms as are my family.

Closed Thread