Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Kind of like Oregon, huh? I'm covered by HR218 but still cautious about carrying and storing firearms as are my family.

Bob, just crossed back into the USA from Alaska and hanging out in a Kent Wa for a week. Feeling kinda naked without my Kimber which is safely locked up at the S&B place in AZ.

Dennis & Linda
2014 Winnebago Journey 34B

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #44

I found an article (will have to find my printed copy) that states Federal Law trumps any state law. That said, federal law allows you to transport a gun across any state, I would think that as long as you were "traveling" thru NJ that federal law would be applicable.

I have also read articles about the book being thrown at some one with a non registered gun in NJ.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #45
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a small lockable gun safe that is secured with a padlock in my vehicle. I can put my weapon in it, lock it, and in Minnesota I am legal to leave it in my car. When I enter Federal Property or the Court House I use it. I find out what the laws are and I obey them.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Old 09-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
This is possibly be a silly question but here it is. I'm assuming all of this thread is in regard to a hand gun, does the matter change if you are carrying say a shotgun for personal safety?

I've thought go taking a 410 just to have on those occasion that I boondock in the boonies.
There are mixed answers to this. In many states including Michigan it is illegal to travel with a loaded long gun in your vehicle. Others states don't care. I am not aware of a list about state by state laws this subject.

Note: FYI there are pistols available that shoot 410 shotgun shells.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #47

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Don't get pulled over in NJ. Every few weeks I see an article in the paper about some poor guy who is transporting a gun that is legal in his home state but not in NJ because he does not have a Firearms ID card from NJ. Or is in possession of hollow point bullets which are illegal in NJ.

They WILL throw the book at you in NJ.
That's illegal under existing Federal laws, but some states (NJ incl.) just ignore the laws and do as they want. Hopefully someday they'll get taken to the cleaners by the NRA and it's members.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #48

Florida Laws-------------

Maybe this will be good info for some one.

States Recognizing Florida License / Concealed Weapon License / Licensing / Divisions & Offices / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
Old 09-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
There are mixed answers to this. In many states including Michigan it is illegal to travel with a loaded long gun in your vehicle. Others states don't care. I am not aware of a list about state by state laws this subject.

Note: FYI there are pistols available that shoot 410 shotgun shells.
Thanks for reply, but to be honest, with all the years in inclement weather and gray conditions hunting duck, I can pretty well load a shot gun in the dark and fast. Lol
Old 09-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
.......If you do need to shoot someone make sure to wet down the cadaver real good with pepper spray. Officer, I sprayed them with pepper spray and they just kept comming........ !

If you do that any investigator with half a brain will wonder how it is that the powder residue got under the pepper spray, and why none of the pepper spray got carried into the wounds by the bullets. Then you've got a whole lot more questions to answer.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFROMFL View Post
I found an article (will have to find my printed copy) that states Federal Law trumps any state law. That said, federal law allows you to transport a gun across any state, I would think that as long as you were "traveling" thru NJ that federal law would be applicable.

I have also read articles about the book being thrown at some one with a non registered gun in NJ.
Just a little comment on this. If I recall, there's a similar situation with towing two trailers. In other words, the Federal Government allows piggy-back towing, but many states do not. My understanding is that as long as the freight-hauler stays on Federal, interstate highways, he's legal, but if he gets off the interstate to get gas, he's then governed by state law. I'd think that the same thing would be applicable to Federal/State gun laws.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #52

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76dc View Post
Put it away in the living part of your RV and forget about it. cops are not going to stop you to see if you have weapons in states. And they cannot just pull you over and search your RV for weapons without getting a search warrant. All different rules when dealing with custom officers.
In WA the State Supreme court has ruled that an officer CAN search your vehicle "for officer safety" without a search warrant during a traffic stop.
I don't agree but that is the law here.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE View Post
Just a little comment on this. If I recall, there's a similar situation with towing two trailers. In other words, the Federal Government allows piggy-back towing, but many states do not. My understanding is that as long as the freight-hauler stays on Federal, interstate highways, he's legal, but if he gets off the interstate to get gas, he's then governed by state law. I'd think that the same thing would be applicable to Federal/State gun laws.
True, but what you or I think should be dowsn't matter. There are several states like NJ and NY in particular whose common practice is to arrest you anyway, throw you in jail, confiscate your firearms and let you try to prove your innocence in court ...and even if you win that part, it is typicall an even longer legal fight to get your firearms back.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:09 PM   #54

New Jersey State Police - Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey
Old 09-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Kind of like Oregon, huh? I'm covered by HR218 but still cautious about carrying and storing firearms as are my family.
However, the grey area is, like mentioned, hollow points i.e weapons that hold more than 5 or 6 rounds even with HR218. Therefore I get qualified with both semi auto and revolver. Probably not a problem in home state, like mine of CA, but may be a problem in other states.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
If you do that any investigator with half a brain will wonder how it is that the powder residue got under the pepper spray, and why none of the pepper spray got carried into the wounds by the bullets. Then you've got a whole lot more questions to answer.

Thanks for the tip !
I'm thinkin' I'll need a whole lot more pepper spray !

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Closed Thread