Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Don't get pulled over in NJ. Every few weeks I see an article in the paper about some poor guy who is transporting a gun that is legal in his home state but not in NJ because he does not have a Firearms ID card from NJ. Or is in possession of hollow point bullets which are illegal in NJ.

They WILL throw the book at you in NJ.
The best part about New Jersey is that I left there 30 years ago. I remember thinking I'd take up hunting and going thru all the hoops required just to buy a shotgun. Required fingerprints, waiting periods, all sorts of nonsense. I'll bet Tony Soprano never bothered with that. Or even my former neighbor Richard Kuklinski aka "The Ice Man".

But I think you're right, you need to abide by the laws of the states you drive through. Especially when it concerns concealed weapons permits.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #86

Newmar Owners Club
Anyone take a shotgun thru Canada To Alaska and if so what hoops do you have to jump thru? I know a pistol is out of the question but, i would love to take my pump.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #87

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Gibson View Post
Anyone take a shotgun thru Canada To Alaska and if so what hoops do you have to jump thru? I know a pistol is out of the question but, i would love to take my pump.
Some info: http://canada.usembassy.gov/travelin...to-canada.html
Old 04-08-2015, 04:07 AM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Taking a shotgun into Canada doesn't seem to me to be that big of deal. Fill out the non-res. form, secure the gun (trigger lock), secure the ammo separately, pay the $25.00 fee and, sign the form in front of a border guard with a approved id. Now how long does ths all take at the border crossing I could not find out. Any ideas, or experience from anyone? I still have to research my knives because some are not allowed even tho they are for hunting. I'm I being to naive?
Old 04-08-2015, 04:33 AM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm a retired LEO and I shoot every year to stay qualified to Carry under the LEOSA law. I also have a CC lic from the state of Texas. Was told I could cary in all 50 states legally but there are some states that will harass you about that right... GG
Safe-T-Plus
Old 04-09-2015, 07:18 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
I'm a retired LEO and I shoot every year to stay qualified to Carry under the LEOSA law. I also have a CC lic from the state of Texas. Was told I could cary in all 50 states legally but there are some states that will harass you about that right... GG
If you are up to date on HR-218 you only need to be concerned about clip capacity in some states. Some of the eastern states will question your status. Western states like CA will be concerned about large clip capacity.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #91

I have just one question. Has anybody ever been stopped, searched and charged with having a firearm in their RV? I have never even heard of it happening. I have been a cop over 25 years and I would like to believe other cops also have real crimes and real mutts (bad guys) to pursue. If you are driving a piece of crap death trap RV on a suspended license, no insurance, and have the smell of dope (including a mobile meth lab) coming out the windows, you may have a problem with your gun inside. But the everyday normal law abiding citizen RVer that is not committing a crime has very little to fear having a gun inside your RV...IMHO.

Randy W

Randy Williamson
Old 04-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #92

Not just RVs, but Maryland is widely known to pull people over with plates from more gun friendly states to do a search. I think it's Maryland , possibly Massachusetts .
Old 04-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #93

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
I have traveled all over the US, from Florida to Alaska, parts of Canada and Nova Scotia. Stayed in over 100 campgrounds and have never felt the need for a gun. Worrying about all the rules etc.. , maybe you should leave it home?
I agree
Old 04-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #94

That's how I feel about fire extinguishers . I've never needed one , so no reason to worry about it right
Old 04-09-2015, 11:23 PM   #95

Fire extinguisher, spare tire, gun . . . have never needed any of these tools but I wouldn't leave home without any of them.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:58 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post
I have just one question. Has anybody ever been stopped, searched and charged with having a firearm in their RV? I have never even heard of it happening. I have been a cop over 25 years and I would like to believe other cops also have real crimes and real mutts (bad guys) to pursue. If you are driving a piece of crap death trap RV on a suspended license, no insurance, and have the smell of dope (including a mobile meth lab) coming out the windows, you may have a problem with your gun inside. But the everyday normal law abiding citizen RVer that is not committing a crime has very little to fear having a gun inside your RV...IMHO.

Randy W

Randy Williamson
Funny post but very true. LOL
Old 04-10-2015, 03:09 AM   #97

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When on the public highways, my arsenal is locked and empty. When off the highway, it's a different story. I find an empty gun is as useful as an empty fire extinguisher in fighting a fire.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:03 AM   #98

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Refuse to be a victim ...... Murderers have no respect for you or
your family. Retired LEO......

Safe-T-Plus
Closed Thread