Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #1

Firearms Transport

We are new RVers and planning a trip across a number of states. We want to be able to take a gun for protection and are wondering how to handle the issue of transporting it across different states with various gun possession laws. Any help would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Don't ask- don't tell. Nobody needs to know you have it unless you need to use it. Illinois was a killer but I think the Supreme Court threw that out.
Never leave home without it.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #3

This should help you. NRA-ILA ::
Old 08-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
What AK said
Old 08-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Don't get pulled over in NJ. Every few weeks I see an article in the paper about some poor guy who is transporting a gun that is legal in his home state but not in NJ because he does not have a Firearms ID card from NJ. Or is in possession of hollow point bullets which are illegal in NJ.

They WILL throw the book at you in NJ.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
Old 08-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #6

I have never heard of hollow points being outlawed. What do the police use in their weapons. I have a countrywide gun permit but don't know about the hallow points.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Isn't it sad you'd even have to ask?
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 08-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I bought this book http://www.gunlaws.com/travel.htm

It is very helpful, with a one page entry for each US state on the critical aspects of firearms laws in each.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure what a 'countrywide gun permit' is as states set their own laws regarding firearm possession and ownership. Some states have reciprocal agreements regarding carry permits but NJ does not recognize those carry permits.

From the NJ State Police Website regarding hollow point ammunition:

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:
(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].
Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).
Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:
1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

Old 08-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Many states have a concealed carry provision and its well worth it.

I have had one for several years and it takes all the guessing out of the situation AND teaches you the right answer to this question. In addition many states attach the CC permit to your drivers license so the cops already know who they are dealing with and know you've passed the state scrutiny. Yeah...yeah big brother is really watching us.

Personally I follow the letter of the law and when going through IL and NJ, place the weapon out of reach with a lock to avoid any issues.

I also found the CC classes/process to be very enlightening. Even here in Texas you can't just shoot a trespasser and expect to walk away scott free. Although you may not be legally charged you may likely charged in a civil court.

Made me think twice about things.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #11

I am a retired Police Officer and federal law allows for me to carry concealed nationwide as long as I qualify with the agency I retired from.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We have had that question come up many times ar our rally. When we had law enforcement Do a seminar; The question allways keeps comming up;; Where do fulltimers fit In.. Because that is there residence. Then it comes the the question If it is Licsened in that state. It seems they start using that political Crap, And talk about everything except the issue, at hand,
Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #13

Is anyone aware of an instance where an RV was searched for weapons while someone was traveling in this country?

Don
Old 08-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
This was not an RV but a guy sleeping in his SUV while traveling through NJ. (frankly I've never seen a RV pulled over for anything other than mechanical failure...)

In March 2009, a Readington police officer found Reininger in a bank parking lot, sleeping in his SUV. Reininger told the officer he was traveling from Maine to Texas.

But instead of luggage in the back seat, police found 23 guns, including 16 rifles — four of which were assault rifles — and hundreds, if not thousands, of rounds of ammunition, Barlyn said. Three handguns, one of them fully loaded with hollow-point bullets, were also found in the vehicle.

Reininger spent four days in the Hunterdon County Jail before he was released on bail.
Reininger’s lawyer, who called today’s verdict a victory for gun rights, said he didn’t know where his client was or why he didn’t attend his trial.

“I’m happy,” attorney Evan Nappen said. “My partner Richard Gilbert did a terrific job, and the jury acquitted my defendant of the two most serious charges.” Nappen and Gilbert co-authored a book called the New Jersey Gun Law Guide.
- from the Hunterdon Country Democrat newspaper website
Closed Thread