Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #1

First Time FL to ME Trip

We are taking our first trip in our 42' motorhome from Florida to Maine and are concered about height and bridge overpasses. Looking for some ideas as to routes. We've already mapped out ways around the bigger New England cities, tunnels, etc., but are concerned about how to find out bridge heights on highways. Is there a website someone can recommend that marks those lower bridges to avoid? Thank you.
Tampa318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #2

We traveled to Maine from Maryland quite a few times. I'm not sure where you got the idea that you'll find low bridges on the trip north. Maybe on some back roads through PA., where they have some older train bridges. But we've never had a problem with low bridges. I'm assuming you'll be coming up I-95. My suggestion is to bypass New Jersey & New York by taking I-83 north out of Baltimore, then I-81 north out of Harrisburg, PA., to Scranton to pick up I-84E to I-90(Mass. Trpk.) to 495 north which will run back into I-95 north. Believe me it's a better way, and easier on the blood pressure. We're currently in Maine, and I should warn you I'm doing my best to create a lobster shortage.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can use this to plan your trip. It will give you RV warnings that you can customize warnings including overpass heights along your trip.

RV travel – trip planning tools and information from Good Sam Club

Enjoy your trip and have Safe Travels.
Gary
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You can also go to just about any truck stop and buy a truckers atlas. They will list low clearances for all states. It will help you decide which routes are easy and safe. As far as by-passing NJ and NY You will add a lot of mileage by doing that. Yes NJ can have heavy traffic but it is a question of what time you get here. For example avoid the morning and evening rush hours and there is no problem at all.
Good luck with your trip.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #5

It's really not that much further. As an example, from where we start out in Waldorf, Md., to Portland, Me. it's 550 miles going through Jersey & New York. By going around, the way we go, it's 653 miles. An extra 100 miles, but a lot easier, and you're at cruising speed the whole way.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tampa-- first of all, I know you'll get all sorts of questions answered here-- you only have to ask!!

If you plan to stick to the Interstate system, you'll have no problem. The current bridge height standard on Interstates is 16 feet, although you will find some older bridges lower. I think I recall reading that the lowest Interstate clearance in the country is now 13'-6". In any event, anything lower than 16ft is supposed to be signed.

If you go off the Interstate system, you can check this truckers' website for low clearances anywhere in the country.

America's Independent Truckers' Association: Information

As to your routing, you can bypass the entire I-95 stretch from Fredericksburg, VA to Boston and only add 111 miles to your total trip- about 10% more distance, about two hours added to a trip that will likely be about 3-4 days anyway. You'll be missing out on some of the worst traffic and worst roads in the country. Well worth it, imo, and I've driven the east coast many times, albeit usually not in a MH.

Anyhow, Good Luck with the trip!!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
Not sure whether it was New Hampshire or Vermont but a few years back we were through a small industrial town (manufacturing plant on a river below a dam) with a narrow two lane bridge that crossed just above the dam. I believe it was US 2. Anyway I very carefully entered the bridge and barely cleared the cross beams on the steel bridge. I would not even try it in the current coach with the A/C units and the satellite dome. I know this does not help because I cannot recall the name of the town or even the state
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:15 AM   #8

Thank you to everyone for the very helpful information. We have taken advice and picked up a trucker's atlas for reference. The Good Sam website that we used to map our trip brought up some warnings of low bridges at 12.6 and 13' (think that was on the Garden State Parkway) and we heard to stay away from CT parkways and smaller roads because of lower overpasses, so we got a little concerned, but we see that by heading a little to the west when going around the bigger northeast cities and staying on the interstates, we can avoid those concerns easily. We actually took a portion of the I-81 route via car a couple years ago and it was a very scenic ride.

Thanks again everyone!

Tampa318
Old 08-13-2014, 06:27 AM   #9

p.s. Ramets, I was born and lived on the coast of Maine for over 40 year - until a few years ago when we moved to FL, so I'm looking forward to some Maine lobster too! If I find that you've created a lobster shortage at the docks (and I hope you are enjoying trying), I'll just have to send a family member out to haul some more traps for me! LOL, hope you're having a great time in Maine

Tampa318
Old 08-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #10

Re the bridges under 16' being marked. It depends on the state. Each has a statutory min. and only mark heights lower than that. All are at least 13' 6". Those in N. Y. that are actually under 14' are marked 1' less than they actually are. Scares the crap out of you if you don't know this. Since (I assume you are going in summer, the bigger concern may be construction. You are probably 101" or 102" wide which means there may not be a lot of side clearance in construction zones and mirrors ain't cheap. Each state has a construction zone website. Travel off hours and don't be afraid to take a break and let the traffic thin out. I like naps. Bob T
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Right on
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
You can go entire length of Garden State Parkway in NJ. There are several low stone underpasses but are fine if you stay in a middle lane. These are between mileposts 130 to 145 or so. I went through there yesterday in my Tiffin Phaeton with no problem. You do need to avoid "parkways" in NY and CT.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote