Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First trip Rio Grande Valley?

I own a 33' MH and live in Seattle, but will be flying to Tucson area for a meeting. I will then three weeks free time from April 7th, 2014 to April 28th. I would like to tour the Rio Grande Valley area of Texas. Need help deciding what to do;

1. Rent a MH one way and drive from Tucson to Brownsville and then along the gulf up to Galveston and then back to Houston to fly home.

2. Fly into San Antonio and rent a RV drive to Brownsville and then along the gulf up to Galveston and then returning to San Antione.

3. or just Renting a car

A. So what is the weather going to be like this time of year? April

B. If I do the MH will there lots of RV parks? Recommendations?

C. or Can I do more and see more with a car for this short of time?

thanks
esw
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #2

There is a learning curve to a Motor Home. A car and motels would be fast and light with only cash out and ability to visit anyplace with out fear of can I get in and out of there....
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #3

Probably a car and motels would be less hassle. If you rent a MH you won't have a car to tour around in unless you arrange for that rental in each place too. Seems like a lot of "arranging" to me.

Weather will be good. Spring comes to that area in late March early April. Cool temps night, very warm daytime. Try to arrange to be northwest of San Antonio in the Hill Country in late April. The bluebonnets will be in full bloom by then.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #4

Texas is a really BIG state west to east ... my travel software shows that it is more than 1100 miles from Tucson to Brownsville. You can calculate how many days of driving that would take you ... and the mileage charge for your rental RV ...

The snowbirds start leaving TX in mid to late March ... so by the middle of April there will be lots of RV spots available in the entire Rio Grande valley.

Perhaps you could travel closer to Tucson. Have you considered visiting spots in AZ ... the Grand Canyon, Paige (horse shoe bend of the Colorado River and Antelope canyon), Desert Museum, Sedona, Bisbee, etc .... and spots in UT ... Arches NP, Canyon Lands NP, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
Texas is a really BIG state west to east ... my travel software shows that it is more than 1100 miles from Tucson to Brownsville. You can calculate how many days of driving that would take you ... and the mileage charge for your rental RV ...

The snowbirds start leaving TX in mid to late March ... so by the middle of April there will be lots of RV spots available in the entire Rio Grande valley.

Perhaps you could travel closer to Tucson. Have you considered visiting spots in AZ ... the Grand Canyon, Paige (horse shoe bend of the Colorado River and Antelope canyon), Desert Museum, Sedona, Bisbee, etc .... and spots in UT ... Arches NP, Canyon Lands NP, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP ...
Nah. We want him down here. Good for our economy. Lots to do such as great food across the border in Progresso (safe), fishing at the coast, touring the Lexington Aircraft Carrier in Corpus Christi, NASA in Houston, the Alamo and world famous Riverwalk in San Antonio, Fiesta (at that time) in San Antonio, the picturesque Hill Country, enchiladas at Mi Tierra's and at Los Barrios and at about 1,200 other mexican food places but those two are the best.

Come one, come all! But, don't all of you stay.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What great responses and fast, thanks and keep it coming. Looks like a car might be best. I have done much of AZ. and UT.
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #7

Don't forget we have a Rio Grande Valley too here in New Mexico. I wouldn't suggest doing that much travelling during April if this would be your first time in a motorhome because this is the period when it can get pretty darn windy (45-50mph can make it too much for the veteran RVers)
Old 02-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #8

There are many RV parks in the Rio Grande Valley. I would not stay in Brownsville, Harlingen area is ideal at the split of US 77 and US 83. You can take a short trip to Brownsville, South Padre Island. There are several eating places, Mall and shopping within walking distant of the split.
MC4391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
IMHO..rent the RV in Sanantone. Their are more RV parks in the valley than you can shake a stick at (what does that phrase mean?). You can see a lot in 2 weeks. Enjoy.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
There is a good possibility it could already be hot in RGV by late April. Throw the humidity in with it and it can be oppressive, especially for someone coming from Seattle. Just saying. .
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote