RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2019, 08:44 AM   #1

Fl east coast to Lake Lanier

We're wanting to take a relatively quick trip north to see autumn colors and we're familiar with the area around Chattahoochee National forest from years past and think about stopping at Lake Lanier and then doing day trips from there. But we've been hearing horror stories about I-75 in GA and wonder about taking I-95 to Savannah then one of various US Highway routes from there.

Advice please including alternate destinations and campgrounds.

pdeinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #2

We took I-75 from Chattanooga (which was a horror story) all the way thru to the Florida border and I didn't notice one horror story so I'm not sure what these 'stories' refer to. We camped in the Altamont Lakes area and even Atlanta was a breeze to drive thru. But I think it was early Saturday when we hit it. That was early August.

Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #3

Get on US 441 and follow to Gainesville, GA. You are there.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #4

Don Carter SP just outside Gainesville, Ga. is nice and on the lake; I don't know about lake access or lake view.

US-1 north from Callahan to Alma, just north of Alma US-23 to McRae, US-441 to Athens, take the eastern bypass / perimeter to US-129 to Gainesville.

Lake Lanier is so big if you could be more specific we could be more helpful.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Lake Lanier is so big if you could be more specific we could be more helpful.
Was just referring to the Lake Lanier area figuring that there are probably a few campground to choose from. Haven't gotten into checking them out yet. Have never been there before so don't know what to expect. If anyone has some specific recommendations, we'd love to hear them.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #6

Seemed like for the last decade I75 in GA always had some construction on it but last time I went from Lake City, Fl to Hunstville, AL it seemed most of the construction was done, but that was a couple of years ago so they could have started all over again.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:00 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
Get on US 441 and follow to Gainesville, GA. You are there.

Problem with that is 441 does not go to Gainesville, Ga. Maybe you mean US 129? Both go thru Athens. 441 goes to Commerce, Clarkesville, Clayton and Franklin, NC.
US 129 to Blairsville from Gainesville, is a beautiful ride in the fall. Watch out for motorcycles.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #8

If you're just interested in leaf-peeping etc, I suggest going to one of the CGs near Cleveland Yonah Mountain Campground - Yonah Mountain Campground Home

Cleveland is an easy drive with no significant climbs or descents and has easily-accessible supplies and service. From there you can take the toad up to Helen for somewhat Disney-esque scenery and from there go north of Helen or out US-129 for some serious Georgia Blue Ridge terrain. Brasstown Bald is right up from Helen.

Take care that Helen's Oktoberfest runs the entire month of October and the area will be full up. Also, I've been snowed on in Cleveland on Thanksgiving Day, so choose your timing wisely.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:41 PM   #9

I go on to Cornelia and take GA-105 and GA-115 on to Cleveland.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #10

Thanks to all for replying. We've settled on going to Tugaloo State Park on Lake Hartwell. It's up I-85 north of Lavonia.
Yonah seemed like a great choice but had nothing available due to the month long Oktoberfest in Helen. Same for many other nearby campgrounds.

We used to vacation in that area years ago, staying around Young Harris and Hiawassee and often visited Helen but I guess it was never around this time of year so knew nothing of the celebration.

We're going to go up I-95 and overnight at Creekfire Motor Coach campground just south of Savannah, then proceed out I-16 turning off on US #221 north to Tugaloo.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
doc

Appalachian Campers
While you are in the area, drive to the top of Brasstown Bald (mtn) and watch/feel the change as you get higher.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #12

Tugaloo's great, get down on the peninsula.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #13

Our trip has been aborted! We were about 45 mins away when we got a CEL with a MIL (malfunction indicator light) and I noticed the engine (5.0V8 Cummins) was running rough. We've been traveling country roads with no shoulder so had to go several miles before I could find a place to pull over and was also making sure a wrecker could get to our front end if need be.

Placed a call to the Tiffin service shop and together we diagnosed the problem as a injector/solenoid failure on cylinder #4. And he said we should go straight to the nearest Cummins service facility because at some point the engine would go into limp mode and we'd be limited to 5 MPH!

He gave us a number for Cummins in Athens and they gave us a number and a map link to a closer facility. Still, it was over an hour away and the information we got was that the ECU uses time to decide when to go to limp mode. Called the campground and cancelled our reservations and lost the deposit but since it's a state campground it wasn't much.

I had shut the engine down while we made all these calls and after re-starting, the CEL (exclamation point) went away but the MIL stayed on. But as I started moving I could tell all cylinders were now firing which was encouraging. We still drove to the Peach State Freightliner in Jefferson and got paperwork started to get work started around noon tomorrow. Found a nearby campground (Georgia RV) that seems mostly working folks with no other home but for $25 a night, who's going to complain. We'll be at the Cummins facility first thing tomorrow morning and then decide if there's any part of our trip we can salvage.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:25 PM   #14

That's too bad but sounds like you have it in hand. We've also spent a few days and weeks parked next to garbage trucks in shop parking lots.

Tags
east coast