Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FL Turnpike Fuel

We are heading south to the Keys. Others traveling south on the turnpike should purchase fuel BEFORE the Ft Drum plaza. The price of diesel jumped $0.12 per gallon from the first plazas on the turnpike.

Northbound? Try to get north of Ft Drum to fuel.

By the way, the love bugs are murder today.

SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
In my experience as a Florida native, there are good points and bad points to the services plazas on the Florida Turnpike.

Bad: Captive customer base means the concessionaire can charge what the market will bear
Good: The concessionaire is required by contract to have fuel available at all times

You will get a better rate on fuel by EXITING the Turnpike and going a few miles into town to get fuel. The plazas on the Turnpike are more of a convenience and are a legacy of when there was practically NOTHING between south Florida and north central Florida but miles and miles of forest, pasture, and farmland.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Richard.

I have always felt the same way, but on our way home in early March we stopped and fueled at the PFJ in Wildwood just before entering the turnpike southbound. When we passed the first plaza we were surprised to see fuel nearly ten cents cheaper. That was true at Turkey Lake plaza and the next one south on this trip. Then it jumped starting at Ft Drum. Go figure.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:11 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
Hi Richard.

I have always felt the same way, but on our way home in early March we stopped and fueled at the PFJ in Wildwood just before entering the turnpike southbound. When we passed the first plaza we were surprised to see fuel nearly ten cents cheaper. That was true at Turkey Lake plaza and the next one south on this trip. Then it jumped starting at Ft Drum. Go figure.
Hi Bill,

Your experience is why I suggest going away from the interstate/turnpike. I-75 from the Georgia line south to near Tampa has higher fuel costs as a general rule. You can find fuel nearly ten cents or more cheaper per gallon in Ocala by exiting and driving a mile or two away from the exit. There is a Kangaroo station I fill up at a few miles down FL 200 when I go to see my kin in Dunnellon. I save a few coins there instead of filling up at the interstate exit.

I still think the service plazas are on the whole more expensive, but more convenient.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We travel to the Keys every winter and find the closer you get to Key West, the higher fuel gets. Try to take on as much as you can before getting to Key Largo if you can. You guys will be warm down there now BTW.

We try not to but have purchased fuel at the travel plazas. I figure if we were to save 10 cents a gallon to get off and go 2 miles out and 2 back to get say 50 gallons. At 8MPG we burned about 1/2 a gallon. So at $4 a gallon I saved $3 but was it worth the foolin' around. Especially if you are not sure about traffic and if you can get to the pumps. If there is a truck stop type place with prices posted on the highway that is a different story.

So I guess the plazas get me once in a while just for convenience.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #6

Came down I-95 today from the FL border into Fort Lauderdale. The higher price right along the highway won, diesel is cheaper further out but those few miles there and back eat up every bit of savings.

I only have a 35 gallon tank though.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #7

Use the web site http://www.gasbuddy.com or download one of the free apps they offer for all of the smart phones. I just returned from the Keys yesterday and the best price for Diesel from Cocoa to the Keys was in Florida city at the Racetrack right before you enter the keys. 3.99 a gal.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:17 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep, I use Gas Buddy. Since it showed Pilot off highway at 4.19 and the last plaza we passed was 4.07 we elected to continue to the next plaza and got surprised. Luckily it was a top off to avoid Keys Pricing so it was not a large quantity.

Weather her is absolutely wonderful. There is a good breeze and the humidity is low.