Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Yep. Easier to take in the view at 35.
I find that some of the toughest up/down grades in beautiful passes have a fuel price that is worth it.
Happy Trails
HMMMM... I hope folks gawking at the view too much aren't on my tail. Taking in the beautiful vista by the co-pilot are just fine but for the driver...well...you get my point.

BTW...this is the second time you mentioned fuel as being a factor and I don't know that anyone has brought that up to any serious extent. The issue is being informed on what to expect and understanding one's personal comfort level.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
If the climb is the same elevation wise on both sides of the pass and the distance to climb on one side is shorter, the climb is steeper.

LEN
Old 04-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Gluckman View Post
Maybe I'm not reading this right, but if I look at a route through the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 in Colorado, it shows a 6% grade going uphill (heading East) and an 8% grade going downhill when heading West.

How can that be?
What are you using to say that?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
HMMMM... I hope folks gawking at the view too much aren't on my tail. Taking in the beautiful vista by the co-pilot are just fine but for the driver...well...you get my point.

BTW...this is the second time you mentioned fuel as being a factor and I don't know that anyone has brought that up to any serious extent. The issue is being informed on what to expect and understanding one's personal comfort level.

Understood. Fuel is what I spend to enjoy the grades, that's all.
We are always comfortable, albeit a bit slow.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
If the climb is the same elevation wise on both sides of the pass and the distance to climb on one side is shorter, the climb is steeper.

LEN
I understand that, but I am looking at I-70 where the lanes in both directions run parallel along virtually the same route. That's why I can't understand it.

I was looking at this on the Flattest Route web site and mapped a route from Los Vegas to Indiana.
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:28 AM   #20

I don't think it calculates the flattest route, it seems like it calculates the shortest but tells you the elevation changes you are going to encounter.
Las Vegas to Indiana on I-70 certainly isn't the flattest route.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
I don't think it calculates the flattest route, it seems like it calculates the shortest but tells you the elevation changes you are going to encounter.
Las Vegas to Indiana on I-70 certainly isn't the flattest route.
I've wondered the same but there may some difference in how we perceive flattest vs how it calculates it. It also has no clue on what you are driving so, as an example, it doesn't consider length or weight restrictions. Still, the ability to drag the route around helps users evaluate options.

Like a GPS routings or other online map routes, it is a tool that should be trusted only after verification from sources you trust.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the link.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Don.
For an upcoming trip to Oregon - there's only one way in from the east. It's nice to see the changes in elevation and +/- over distance. I'm with you on the nice addition tool for planning. I have the mountain east and west books and they're helpful in a similar manner.

One aspect of planning that retirement / full timing brings is the ability to stop whenever you want. So if I'm more inclined to do the ups and downs in the morning, rather than afternoon - I can just find a place for the night or a day or two and head on up and down the road at prime time. Sun in my eyes - no thanks. Rain and wind. Sign me up for another night. All just a part of planning.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #24

I can't recall which forum I saw this on recently but the poster was concerned about the Flattest Route saying there's a section on I-40 that has a 16% grade!!! No way. So it pays to check other sources, too.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #25

Flattest Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
In another thread I learned about flattestroute.com

A very nice site where you can set a start and end point. It will then calculate the flattest route and put it on a google map.

I just climb out to about 10,000 ASL and cruise along flat as can be. No website required.

Of course the problem is no matter how hard I pull back on the steering wheel the motorhome doesn't rotate. It must have one heck of a high Vr speed, those nose wheels just don't come up at all.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retreever View Post
Thanks for this, I've been wondering for some time why somebody hadn't already done this - you'd think the GPS makers with RV specific units would be all over this.

Retreever
Garmin RV GPS units do this today.
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:30 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I just climb out to about 10,000 ASL and cruise along flat as can be. No website required.

Of course the problem is no matter how hard I pull back on the steering wheel the motorhome doesn't rotate. It must have one heck of a high Vr speed, those nose wheels just don't come up at all.
That or little elevator authority. LOL

Tags
test